Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

wNNEIIjh.jpg
Great snap, fits my hand and pocket well, f&f is superb, love the boosters!
vdTt3lmh.jpg

When I went over to Wright's to pick up the ACL's the other week, John Maleham gave me a few treasures he had come across in the back of the cupboard that morning :) (One has to wonder how many tons of wonderful information like this was binned, burned, or looted :() John Maleham ended up buying the A.Wright & Son and J.Howarth firms because he wanted to buy the building, which the retiring Mr Howarth owned, so Wright's own the Howarth marks (though they don't use them).

There are a couple of price lists from the 1930's, one for Howarth's, which was located on nearby Howard Street at the time, and one for Needham's, who were then at Portland Works, where Jack Black Knives were once located ;) I wonder what business went on between the two small firms. There are some other papers, which show that Howarth's were making knives for Joseph Rodgers & Son in the 1960's. Lambsfoot knives are selling for between 36 Shillings and 46 Shillings a dozen - or for as little as 3 Shillings a knife for a Stag Bone Lambsfoot. Three Shillings is 15 pence today, which might just buy you a single stick of chewing gum!

There are also some photos belonging to Wright's themselves :thumbsup:

Last edited:
When I went over to Wright's to pick up the ACL's the other week, John Maleham gave me a few treasures he had come across in the back of the cupboard that morning :) (One has to wonder how many tons of wonderful information like this was binned, burned, or looted :() John Maleham ended up buying the A.Wright & Son and J.Howarth firms because he wanted to buy the building, which the retiring Mr Howarth owned, so Wright's own the Howarth marks (though they don't use them).

There are a couple of price lists from the 1930's, one for Howarth's, which was located on nearby Howard Street at the time, and one for Needham's, who were then at Portland Works, where Jack Black Knives were once located ;) I wonder what business went on between the two small firms. There are some other papers, which show that Howarth's were making knives for Joseph Rodgers & Son in the 1960's.

What a great gift, those are excellent.

What a great gift, those are excellent.

Thanks John, I love stuff like this. Tonight is the first chance I've had to have a proper look at them :) I might post more pics in one of the other threads. I have a few of the Rodgers patterns, in fact my first Lambsfoot was a Rodgers from that period :)

There are a couple of price lists from the 1930's, one for Howarth's, which was located on nearby Howard Street at the time, and one for Needham's, who were then at Portland Works, where Jack Black Knives were once located ;) I wonder what business went on between the two small firms. There are some other papers, which show that Howarth's were making knives for Joseph Rodgers & Son in the 1960's. Lambsfoot knives are selling for between 36 Shillings and 46 Shillings a dozen - or for as little as 3 Shillings a knife for a Stag Bone Lambsfoot. Three Shillings is 15 pence today, which might just buy you a single stick of chewing gum!

Really cool stuff, Jack, thanks for posting it.

I had the 2018 Guardian's Lambsfoot with me yesterday.
42836609790_7c28eb497b_h.jpg

It's like day and night, Dylan. You've got the fire-like stag on the pile side for the day, and the moonbeam white stag on the show side for the night.

An apt description, my friend. Thank you!

Looks good, Dylan! I've always thought matched stag was overrated, anyways. :D

Seriously, you've got the best of both worlds there. :thumbsup:

Thank you, Barrett. I am very pleased, the mismatched stag is actually quite the pleasure. It really is like owning two different knives.

Nice start to the day Dylan :) :thumbsup:

That IS fast Dylan - even within the time they PROMISE! :rolleyes: You'd almost think they were using airmail or something! :D I just hope poor old dc50 dc50 isn't waiting two months again :eek: I'm glad you like it my friend, spectacular pics, as always :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack. It really is a superb knife.

Fantastic stag on your Ashley' Choice, Pàdruig Pàdruig . Congratulations! :) The covers on my wee lambsfoot are also mismatched in color, but nicely matched in thickness. I've got the sun on the mark side, and the moon on the pile side. :D:thumbsup:
View attachment 983320
View attachment 983319
View attachment 983322

Thank you, r8shell! The covers are indeed nicely matched in terms of thickness on this one as well, they just happen to look dramatically different but not in a bad way. I always enjoy seeing that one of yours.

Great photo of your stag, Dylan, and of your growing library. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I see the resemblance between your shelves and my necktie. ;) I do try to get an entire "food pyramid" into my morning oatmeal variation. :rolleyes: Not sure if the bowl in the photo contains dairy; sometimes I use milk as the liquid for cooking and sometimes I use orange juice. ;)

Congrats on being one of the first to take delivery, Dylan; I can see why you're very pleased with the knife, including its Janus-like aspect! ;):cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you, GT, for the compliments, always appreciated!

As mismatched as the scale are, each one is really nice stag. However, if it bothers you too much, I might be convinced to help you dispose of it:).

I would have to agree, two stellar examples. It hasn't caused me grief as of yet but I now know who to contact should I be stricken with such a malady. ;)

I have the AC Lambsfoot with me again today, it is really a terrific knife.

79eFIyK.jpg

Great haul Jack, I love the blade profile and bolster on that Rodgers Lambsfoot.:thumbsup::cool:

gQuJKGI.jpg

I got the runt, the one left after everyone had their pick! :D Was very pleased with it though :thumbsup:

View attachment 983356
I'd adopt that runt in a heartbeat, Jack! ;):cool::thumbsup:

As mismatched as the scale are, each one is really nice stag. However, if it bothers you too much, I might be convinced to help you dispose of it:).
You are a selfless and gallant gentleman, sir! :thumbsup::cool::D

You caught me! I laid out enough crackers to make that pattern and declared it sufficiently snacky. :)

There’s a new addition to my lambsfoot collection inbound via the post, so I thought a final family shot of the trio would be fun:
wdw4hWVh.jpg

Fortunately none of them complained about sitting for the photo. ;)
Thanks for the snack rationale, Greg. ;):cool: I like the flock photo! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: For some reason, even though I shun social media (The Porch excepted :rolleyes:), when I saw the middle knife I thought, "It's covered in a giant hash tag!"

Some really great pictures lately from Cambertree, Padruig, 5K Qs, WhittlinAway, and Jack, thanks all.
Received a special package from Jack today and just need to shoot a picture or two... :)
Couldn't be happier with this one from my good friend, Jack!!!

View attachment 983747

View attachment 983748
Thanks for the photo comment, @herder, and thanks for the pics of your delectable new stag lambsfoot! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: It's another Ashley's Choice with stylistic variety between the 2 sides of the handle! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

A peach and a nectarine ;) :thumbsup:
Thanks for the fruitful comment, Jack. :)

I thought I'd carry these two again today, my AC and my rosewood Big 'Un :) :thumbsup:
The BF upload system seems to be getting worse by the day, I'm now having to re-size files, I already re-sized (for the second time) yesterday o_O
I like those summery photos, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Somehow, I got through yesterday without having to re-size a single pic I tried to post!?!

View attachment 983827 View attachment 983828

The stags are very nice Jack. Ashley really did a great job. Please give him our regards and compliments. The bolsters look great. The stag is very well matched and not very thick at all. The blade is centered, and the fit and finish is excellent. I love the shape of the handle on the smaller pattern. The blade to handle ratio handle is the greatest on this pattern. It feels wonderful in hand and in your pocket.
Couple of grand Guardian knives, Leslie; congrats on the new ACL! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Well all these new stag lambsfoot are looking very nice everyone :thumbsup: Some great pics to!
Mine carry today seems a poor relation in comparison.

zZwSw5M.jpg

-David.
The distinctiveness of the Eye makes your knife unforgettable to me, David; it need not take a back seat to any of the stags IMHO! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My Ashley’s choice lambsfoot arrived yesterday. View attachment 983854 View attachment 983855
Congrats on your new ACL, @Travman!! :cool::thumbsup::cool: That full-length central "valley" on the mark side handle has me thinking "Stag Soup"! ;):thumbsup::cool:

I fell woefully behind in this thread, so forgive my not seeing your kind comment. Thank you my friend.
I know you will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!
Thanks, Jeff! :thumbsup::)

Mr 4 inch Taylor’s Lambsfoot wanted to pop in and flirt with these fetching stags y’all are showing off. Imagine his disappointment after I told him Ashley is a guy!View attachment 983896
That big Taylor is quite the handsome devil his own self! ;):thumbsup::cool:

I'm still waiting for my new Ashley's Choice to arrive. ...
I feel your pain, Ron, as I expectantly wait. :( But in my case, it's entirely my own fault. I checked the tracking yesterday morning and was horrified to see an "alert" informing that the package was undeliverable! :eek::( I called the "postal substation" whose ZIP code was mentioned in the alert, and the guy there was able to find the package in the "misaddressed box". Turns out in my haste to get my order to Jack, I sent him a shipping address for my workplace (as I usually do), but I inexplicably used my home ZIP code instead of my work ZIP code. :rolleyes::mad: I didn't have time to get to the post office to grab it, but it was re-routed overnight and the tracking site informed me this morning that it was delivered to my college's mail room! So I should have it in my mailbox today, or tomorrow for sure! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

wNNEIIjh.jpg
Great snap, fits my hand and pocket well, f&f is superb, love the boosters!
vdTt3lmh.jpg
Congrats on the impressive lambsfoot! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: And I agree about the lovability of the bolsters! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Black Jack in the wood lot (when it was new):
mark.V.woods.jpg

- GT

Back