Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Finally found a two blade version to add to my small collection of lamb foots. Built like a tank with smooth but solid walk and talk. By Taylor Eye Witness, Sheffield.

Untitled by Blake Blade, on FlickrUntitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr

27902390072_f76b494513.jpg

Congratulations on that TEW Blake :) That's a classy collection you have there :) :thumbsup:

A pleasure Ron, and thank you my friend, that's another wonderful pic :) :thumbsup:

This is a knife I bought from Wright's a while back, after spotting it in the factory. It is their candle-end pattern, and the only one, of recent manufacture, I've seen with Sambar I think. The mark side stag is nice, but the stag on the pile side is even more impressive I think :thumbsup:

Have to agree Jack :thumbsup: the pile side is a rusty pumpkin :D

A pleasure Ron, and thank you my friend, that's another wonderful pic :) :thumbsup:

This is a knife I bought from Wright's a while back, after spotting it in the factory. It is their candle-end pattern, and the only one, of recent manufacture, I've seen with Sambar I think. The mark side stag is nice, but the stag on the pile side is even more impressive I think :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! This one could make any photo look good! :) That candle end is an exceptional knife Jack! Excellent Sambar indeed! :thumbsup: I must try to add one of those to my collection. It’s a pattern that is missing!

Have to agree Jack :thumbsup: the pile side is a rusty pumpkin :D

LOL! Thanks :D I am looking forward to my ACL taking on a bit more colour, hopefully :)

Thanks Jack! This one could make any photo look good! :) That candle end is an exceptional knife Jack! Excellent Sambar indeed! :thumbsup: I must try to add one of those to my collection. It’s a pattern that is missing!

Thanks Ron, the pieces of Sambar they get aren't usually big enough to use on the larger patterns, but if they could do an extended triple-rat-tail bolster like this...

Or an extended threaded bolster like this...

Or indeed any other type of extended bolster, a flat Barlow bolster for example, then things would change ;) :thumbsup:

Here's some examples from Thomas Turner (1902), I think look pretty good :)

Yep a favourite of mine too...Wostenholm IXL. Its been up before but here's another look. :thumbsup:
Untitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr

Absolutely superb :) Thanks for giving us another look :) :thumbsup:

LOL! Thanks :D I am looking forward to my ACL taking on a bit more colour, hopefully :)

Thanks Ron, the pieces of Sambar they get aren't usually big enough to use on the larger patterns, but if they could do an extended triple-rat-tail bolster like this...

Or an extended threaded bolster like this...

Or indeed any other type of extended bolster, a flat Barlow bolster for example, then things would change ;) :thumbsup:

Here's some examples from Thomas Turner (1902), I think look pretty good :)

Absolutely superb :) Thanks for giving us another look :) :thumbsup:

:eek: I’m thinking 2019 Jack! :thumbsup: :cool: :D

:eek: I’m thinking 2019 Jack! :thumbsup: :cool: :D

Be nice wouldn't it Ron? :) I've talked to Wright's about the possibility of a triple rat-tail bolster on a number of occasions. So far, all our bolsters have been ground by hand, but one of the skills is matching the two bolsters exactly - otherwise they'd look awful. Obviously, with a bolster with multiple grooves, things get a lot harder, so it would almost certainly require a tooling investment. Because of the small Guardians runs, that expenditure might not be justified. But we'll see, it would really depend on how many people were interested :thumbsup:

The Encyclopedia of Knives.View attachment 985109

Have we seen that one before Dave? Good-looking Lambsfoot my friend :) :thumbsup:

When I went over to Wright's to pick up the ACL's the other week, John Maleham gave me a few treasures he had come across in the back of the cupboard that morning :) (One has to wonder how many tons of wonderful information like this was binned, burned, or looted :() John Maleham ended up buying the A.Wright & Son and J.Howarth firms because he wanted to buy the building, which the retiring Mr Howarth owned, so Wright's own the Howarth marks (though they don't use them).

There are a couple of price lists from the 1930's, one for Howarth's, which was located on nearby Howard Street at the time, and one for Needham's, who were then at Portland Works, where Jack Black Knives were once located ;) I wonder what business went on between the two small firms. There are some other papers, which show that Howarth's were making knives for Joseph Rodgers & Son in the 1960's. Lambsfoot knives are selling for between 36 Shillings and 46 Shillings a dozen - or for as little as 3 Shillings a knife for a Stag Bone Lambsfoot. Three Shillings is 15 pence today, which might just buy you a single stick of chewing gum!

There are also some photos belonging to Wright's themselves :thumbsup:

That's cracking Jack! Museum quality finds there! I hope Mr Maleham keeps clearing out his cupboards :thumbsup:

Really cool stuff, Jack, thanks for posting it.

I had the 2018 Guardian's Lambsfoot with me yesterday.
42836609790_7c28eb497b_h.jpg

That patina is coming on nicely :thumbsup:

That’s is an absolutely beautiful patina! Any idea what brought about the blue?

I read on here somewhere the best way was cutting raw chicken. With mine I think it was chorizo sausage.

The distinctiveness of the Eye makes your knife unforgettable to me, David; it need not take a back seat to any of the stags IMHO! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Black Jack in the wood lot (when it was new):
View attachment 984456

- GT

Your to kind sir to kind :):thumbsup: Thank you for the kind words but you have to admit the stag on the Ashley's Choice is absolutely sublime. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new arrival :thumbsup:

Is that this year?! Sorry I know it is but I've got to ask. :eek: Is that normal for where you live?

Yep a favourite of mine too...Wostenholm IXL. Its been up before but here's another look. :thumbsup:
Untitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr

That's stunning! I mentioned a bit ago about the current Sheffield offerings of jigged bone lacking soul. What I was thinking of what Sheffield jigged bone should look like I had pictured in my head something like that. :thumbsup:

As always these days this one, assisting me with pie duties. But I've just found out the tip is bent :mad: and I've not a clue how it's happened...:mad:
4jkWCbw.jpg

-David

Is that this year?! Sorry I know it is but I've got to ask. :eek: Is that normal for where you live?
David, we've even had snow overnight in July! Yes its normal, but it should snow then melt the next day. This is abnormal, sounds like our temps are running around
- 4° to +5° for the next week. :thumbsdown: our average should be +17° :(

Last edited:
That patina is coming on nicely :thumbsup:
Thank you, David.
Sorry to hear about the tip on your Lambsfoot, I hope it isn't too bad.
The pint and pie that is accompanying your knife look reeeeeal good to me right now.

Back