Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

There's a tv channel (M6) that translated Mr Ramsay's show "Kitchen Nightmares", I'm not sure there's a big following, never watched.
At least certainly not like Maïté's program in the 90s, here preparing a hamburger à la Maïté , with duck breast, foie gras, confit gizzard and lettuce. In her heyday she had a restaurant under Bordeaux and was famous among the rugby teams for the after game meals. Her wonderful SouthWest accent can be compared with the Scottish. No need to understand, tone and images are eloquents (and maybe preferable if I want to come again on the Porch!:eek::D)

I have a set of IXL-Wostenholm kitchen knives (also sold under the Joseph Rodgers and Wilkinson Sword brands), which were endorsed by the first male TV chef here, Graham Kerr, 'The Galloping Gourmet' - what an oily character! :eek:

Edit - It's even worse than I remembered! :eek:

I have a set of IXL-Wostenholm kitchen knives (also sold under the Joseph Rodgers and Wilkinson Sword brands), which were endorsed by the first male TV chef here, Graham Kerr, 'The Galloping Gourmet' - what an oily character! :eek:

Edit - It's even worse than I remembered! :eek:
oooh yeah, I remember that show :thumbsup: he was as slick as an eel! :D Folks were disappointed when it was canceled.
But hey! we still have Coronation Street. :p
images

I arrived home today to find a package from Jack in my mailbox. Inside his expert wrapping and boxing was an Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot! Not only is this my first A Wright/Sheffield knife, it is also my first stag handled knife. Since it is a new-to-me knife I'd like to share my first impressions, and then update later with a longer-term review.

How does it look? Well, I think it is beautiful. I love the low profile of the blade when closed and the flat, low profile kick when opened. The pinched and lined bolster is perfect, and the stag on this one looks really nice to my eyes. The blade length to handle ratio is perfect looking and the swedge on both sides of the blade looks very fine. The only flaw in looks (which may affect function some too, though I'm not sure how much) is the plunge grind, which is a steeper on the pile side than on the show side. The etch is faint, but that's fine by me.

How does it feel? The stag feels awesome in hand--thick, but not fat; nobby, but not uncomfortably so. The size compares to a GEC 15 (though I haven't set them side by side), but thicker due to the stag. It isn't heavy and pockets well. The action of the knife was a little gritty, so I cleaned it and lubricated it to work out the grit. I've still got a little residue to work out, but the action is much better now. Not quite as good as my 35 Churchill, but still smooth enough to enjoy. I'm hoping it will smooth out even more. The snap at open and close is satisfying in both sound and feel--nothing weak here.

How does it cut? The blade wasn't as sharp from the factory as I keep my other knives, but it wasn't dull either. I spent some time sharpening it on a 1200 grit water stone and got the edge to my liking (I don't have the skill to get "hair popping" but I like my knives to get through phone paper without a snag). I had some trouble keeping the bevel even, which makes me think that the grinds might have been slightly off (hence the uneven bevel mentioned above). I've not been into knives long enough to speak competently about this aspect of fit and finish in terms of price point or quality control, but I can say that it won't keep me up at night, and it gives me something to tinker with on my sharpening stone.

What about value? Considering that the knife was purchased overseas and has a stag handle with some nice finish features (bolster line, pinched, swedge on the blade, mirror polish finish), I think the value is just right for this knife. The fit and finish were a little bit less than the GECs I've had, but it is also coming under the price of a GEC in the same handle and features, I should think. Plus, it is a LAMBSFOOT! Let's be honest, that alone makes the knife worth having at any reasonable price, doesn't it?

I had no plans to buy this knife, and didn't really know anything about it until people began posting pictures here, because I hadn't gotten on the email list until late in process. I didn't want to buy the knife because I'd already reserved a forum knife, had gotten on a reserve for a GEC 99, and was going to try one or two of the 14s, but the pictures and the longer-term desire to try an authentic lambsfoot eventually pushed me over. It is hard not to like every new knife due to the newness of it and the excitement that brings. Still, this one is very likely to kick some other knife to the curb.

Thank you very much Jack for including me in the email list, and for allowing me the opportunity to purchase the AC lambsfoot. As you can tell, I'm pretty pleased with it out of the box!

Now, some pictures:
fullsizeoutput_2bca.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2bc7.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2bc8.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2bc9.jpeg
Here's the plunge grind, (not sure if you can tell from the picture):
IMG_4821.jpg

I hope not Dave! :D If he spoke to me like he speaks to his kitchen staff, I'd serve him up with an apple in his mouth! ;) Hope that lamb at least peed down his neck! :D :thumbsup:

Well done Jack! I mirror that too, can't abide that boorish, conceited bullying man, abusing his power intimidating people. And it's all about him and not much about food. Dislike all this Celebrity Chef crap anyway, tedious. One figure I do remember is the late Keith Floyd though, he liked a drink on set and didn't go round swearing & spitting venom at people, some good Med recipes too- he liked LAMB a lot but don't know about the Foot..o_O:D:D

I arrived home today to find a package from Jack in my mailbox. Inside his expert wrapping and boxing was an Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot! Not only is this my first A Wright/Sheffield knife, it is also my first stag handled knife. Since it is a new-to-me knife I'd like to share my first impressions, and then update later with a longer-term review.

How does it look? Well, I think it is beautiful. I love the low profile of the blade when closed and the flat, low profile kick when opened. The pinched and lined bolster is perfect, and the stag on this one looks really nice to my eyes. The blade length to handle ratio is perfect looking and the swedge on both sides of the blade looks very fine. The only flaw in looks (which may affect function some too, though I'm not sure how much) is the plunge grind, which is a steeper on the pile side than on the show side. The etch is faint, but that's fine by me.

How does it feel? The stag feels awesome in hand--thick, but not fat; nobby, but not uncomfortably so. The size compares to a GEC 15 (though I haven't set them side by side), but thicker due to the stag. It isn't heavy and pockets well. The action of the knife was a little gritty, so I cleaned it and lubricated it to work out the grit. I've still got a little residue to work out, but the action is much better now. Not quite as good as my 35 Churchill, but still smooth enough to enjoy. I'm hoping it will smooth out even more. The snap at open and close is satisfying in both sound and feel--nothing weak here.

How does it cut? The blade wasn't as sharp from the factory as I keep my other knives, but it wasn't dull either. I spent some time sharpening it on a 1200 grit water stone and got the edge to my liking (I don't have the skill to get "hair popping" but I like my knives to get through phone paper without a snag). I had some trouble keeping the bevel even, which makes me think that the grinds might have been slightly off (hence the uneven bevel mentioned above). I've not been into knives long enough to speak competently about this aspect of fit and finish in terms of price point or quality control, but I can say that it won't keep me up at night, and it gives me something to tinker with on my sharpening stone.

What about value? Considering that the knife was purchased overseas and has a stag handle with some nice finish features (bolster line, pinched, swedge on the blade, mirror polish finish), I think the value is just right for this knife. The fit and finish were a little bit less than the GECs I've had, but it is also coming under the price of a GEC in the same handle and features, I should think. Plus, it is a LAMBSFOOT! Let's be honest, that alone makes the knife worth having at any reasonable price, doesn't it?

I had no plans to buy this knife, and didn't really know anything about it until people began posting pictures here, because I hadn't gotten on the email list until late in process. I didn't want to buy the knife because I'd already reserved a forum knife, had gotten on a reserve for a GEC 99, and was going to try one or two of the 14s, but the pictures and the longer-term desire to try an authentic lambsfoot eventually pushed me over. It is hard not to like every new knife due to the newness of it and the excitement that brings. Still, this one is very likely to kick some other knife to the curb.

Thank you very much Jack for including me in the email list, and for allowing me the opportunity to purchase the AC lambsfoot. As you can tell, I'm pretty pleased with it out of the box!

Now, some pictures:
View attachment 992541 View attachment 992542 View attachment 992543 View attachment 992544
View attachment 992545

Thanks for the detailed outline of your thoughts on your AC Lambsfoot Joshua, and the pics. I'm glad you like it, and hope you enjoy carrying it. Give the joints a good flush, and the action will be better :thumbsup:

Well done Jack! I mirror that too, can't abide that boorish, conceited bullying man, abusing his power intimidating people. And it's all about him and not much about food. Dislike all this Celebrity Chef crap anyway, tedious. One figure I do remember is the late Keith Floyd though, he liked a drink on set and didn't go round swearing & spitting venom at people, some good Med recipes too- he liked LAMB a lot but don't know about the Foot..o_O:D:D

Thanks Will :D Yes, I like the whole 'Celebrity Chef' thing too, but I did enjoy watching Keith Floyd, and have a bunch of his cookery books too :) I'm afraid that my internet connection is so bad this morning, I'm going to have to wait until later to watch the videos folks have linked to. I sure wish my mother had watched a few cookery shows! :eek: :D

Got the Big 'Un in the pocket today :) Have a good day folks :thumbsup:

Now, some pictures:
View attachment 992541 View attachment 992542 View attachment 992543 View attachment 992544
View attachment 992545
Congrats on the new stag lambsfoot, Joshua! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I enjoyed reading your detailed first impressions. Yet another handsome example of the AC run! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I really like that arc/swirl at the end of the mark side handle, and the long grooves on the pile side.

This was from my son’s soccer game this past Sunday.View attachment 992619
Great shot! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

This week I'm carrying my 2017 horn Guardians Lambsfoot aka Lam Jack (thanks, @mrknife):
jan18.gl.pile.open.bht.jpg

- GT

Old Toffeewings with time on his side.
CwMuhLH.jpg

Jacques Pepin is my favorite chef, especially when accompanied by Claudine. I may try to ask her again (she runs his website) about Jacques' jacqknife. He produced it a couple of times in Cooking with Claudine to show her the inside of a vegetable at the market.
It's not a website though, it's a facebook page, which was my problem.

Congrats on the new stag lambsfoot, Joshua! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I enjoyed reading your detailed first impressions. Yet another handsome example of the AC run! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I really like that arc/swirl at the end of the mark side handle, and the long grooves on the pile side.

Great shot! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

This week I'm carrying my 2017 horn Guardians Lambsfoot aka Lam Jack (thanks, @mrknife):
View attachment 992630

- GT
Thank you, GT! I have no idea what makes "good stag" since this is my first, but I really like the character and feel of the one I received. My flock has filled the pen, I think. Three little lambsfoots make a good number.

I arrived home today to find a package from Jack in my mailbox.
Thanks Joshua for the write up. I have a package from Jack that has been sitting in Chicago for several days now. Customs I suppose. Looking forward to my first Lambsfoot!

Back