Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

My Saturday evening attire! :eek: Y’all have a great evening! :thumbsup: :D

31996934637_53df5cf585_b_d.jpg

I committed a faux pas here earlier and posted some non-lambsfoot stuff.... had to delete that one...

I just received some knives straight from A. Wright. Very pleased with them. The stag is a bit different than what I’m used to, but I like it.... very pleasant in the hand as well. Thought I would share the note they included about the lambfoot pattern..... name and address blotted out, lest I break some more rules! ;)

efrkb4.jpg

160y8fk.jpg

That Big Butter Fingered Oaf!!!:eek:

May his name live in infamy forever! o_O

My Saturday evening attire! :eek: Y’all have a great evening! :thumbsup: :D

31996934637_53df5cf585_b_d.jpg

Dapper and debonair Ron :thumbsup:

I started the year off with a virus, and since it stopped me eating for a week, and my stomach shrank, I thought it might be a good opportunity to lose some weight. So I've been eating super healthy, cut down drastically on my calorie intake, stopped taking sugar, and been walking at least 5 miles a day. I also decided to stop boozing for January, but when the end of January came, I wasn't that fussed about a drink. Thought I'd treat myself to a beer tonight :thumbsup:

uCwj4aR.jpg

I started the year off with a virus, and since it stopped me eating for a week, and my stomach shrank, I thought it might be a good opportunity to lose some weight. So I've been eating super healthy, cut down drastically on my calorie intake, stopped taking sugar, and been walking at least 5 miles a day. I also decided to stop boozing for January, but when the end of January came, I wasn't that fussed about a drink. Thought I'd treat myself to a beer tonight :thumbsup:

uCwj4aR.jpg
Jack, you did a great job of sticking to your goal. :thumbsup::cool: Now have a beer or two and enjoy. :thumbsup:;)

I committed a faux pas here earlier and posted some non-lambsfoot stuff.... had to delete that one...

I just received some knives straight from A. Wright. Very pleased with them. The stag is a bit different than what I’m used to, but I like it.... very pleasant in the hand as well. Thought I would share the note they included about the lambfoot pattern..... name and address blotted out, lest I break some more rules! ;)

efrkb4.jpg

160y8fk.jpg

Many thanks for your consideration Steve :thumbsup: Those look like three nice ones. That's Wright's regular stag, mostly Pere David, it's less dense than Sambar, but can look nice too. Here's a pic showing a piece of Sambar (on the left) and a piece of Pere David :thumbsup:

vvAI6zD.jpg

Many thanks for your consideration Steve :thumbsup: Those look like three nice ones. That's Wright's regular stag, mostly Pere David, it's less dense than Sambar, but can look nice too. Here's a pic showing a piece of Sambar (on the left) and a piece of Pere David :thumbsup:

vvAI6zD.jpg

Thanks for sharing this! It definitely didn’t seem like Sambar. At first glance, I wasn’t a huge fan of the Pere David, but it’s grown on me. These are very rustic feeling knives that look and feel like they can withstand a good beating. I doubt I’ll treat these like beaters though.

Dennis these are contented cows so it's all good. :D
8ecc50a9abc551a65d3e6bec3034c14e--calves-scottish-highlands.jpg
:D:thumbsup: Handsome tyke!:)

uCwj4aR.jpg
Yup, you deserve to treat! How you got all the knives out while being sick.....you are a steely eyed machine!:thumbsup:

uCwj4aR.jpg
Very good IPA. Sierra Nevada brewery is amazing too visited their quite a bit.

That Big Butter Fingered Oaf!!!:eek:
Wow, is a BBFO (Double B) one worse on the scale as far as the FO's go?:D

efrkb4.jpg

160y8fk.jpg
I'm not going to say I'm jealous...but I am!:eek::thumbsup:
Nice Tri-Stag Lambsfoot!:)

Chatoyance is right! But difficult to capture. Two different sides, but each mesmerizing in their own right.
Thanks again, Jack!
View attachment 1071812 View attachment 1071813

In a little less light:
View attachment 1071811 View attachment 1071810
Mike, I quoted your post in my last post, but apparently didn't write anything about it. I simply wanted to congratulate you, along with all the other recipients of incredible ironwood lambsfoots! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Here is the Albert Oates. Doesn’t quite look like the images, but I’m very happy with it. Not UK legal with a cutting edge of 3 3/4 inches.
View attachment 1072118
Congrats on that big, brawny Oates lambsfoot, @cigarrodog! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Mine today, apologize for the less than stellar photos!
pMVYY4l.jpg
...They are all but black in the house, but like yours and others that posted, once the sun hits them, they do "fire" up!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you very much, Gary. No "valley ", just a gentle wave.
Thanks for the follow-up photos, Dennis! :thumbsup::thumbsup::) I was afraid when I saw your first pic that you had received one of the ones that looked "flat black" to me in the original group pic, and I felt bad for you. But your close-ups show that your knife is at least as cool as the others, and maybe cooler, since yours is like a "photographic negative" with lots of black shot through with orange veins (and that "wave" in the handle). :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Wow everyone has got some amazing examples of the 2019 Guardian's knife :) Mine came in today and I couldn't be more excited to have this one. It has two distinct personalities. I can't really tell which one mine is in the group photo though.
New Guardian hailing from Sunnyvale, CA :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
View attachment 1072233

Unfiltered and pile side :)
View attachment 1072231
View attachment 1072232
Congrats, Darren, and welcome to the Guardians! :):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Pile side waves.

Russell

View attachment 1072357
Yours has some of my favorite grain, Russell! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (And in that orientation, I see some kind of round-headed, grinning, fully-bearded gargoyle in your knife! :eek: I hope I'm not the ONLY one to see it. :rolleyes:)

Thanks GT, I'm really looking forward to my first Lambsfoot,(got the shipping notice today) and pics will be forthcoming.
Jack tells me the mystery wood is Rosewood, so I think I'll be pleased with it as I've seen a few examples posted that were very nice.:thumbsup:
Sounds good, Mykel. :cool::cool::thumbsup: My rosewood lambsfoot is probably my favorite:
lambsfoot.mark.closed.jpg

That's from a model of the Black Prince. English lions or Plantagenet leopards and the Fleurs de Lis because the Angevin kings hadn't given up on being kings of France yet. I don't think he lived to be king; I think he died of something campaigning in Portugal in exchange for Portuguese help at Crecy.
oRI4V63.jpg
Thanks for learnin' me some history, Jer! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I can only look at it unfortunely: I've severely cut my left thumb while wood carving and can't use it to open the knife, due to the very strong pull. :(
I hope your cut heals soon, @Mescladis; is it the type of wound you can "dress" with super-glue?

Some pile side love...super dark and dense grain on this side.
View attachment 1072718
Thanks for that shot, Taylor! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I carry a Lambsfoot...
IMG_0914.JPG

because it rocks!(probably been used before, but...)
:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

...Have I mentioned that Winter is on the ropes?
xdOLCvs.jpg
You have, and I tend to agree: another 3 months and this winter should be just a bad memory. ;)

Awesome oxhorn, FBC!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

GT 5K Qs 5K Qs : no worries about being a reluctant Food Correspondent, my friend, we come here to enjoy ourselves, so I’m sure someone else will pick up the mantle, in time.

But did you just say that, then launch straight into a detailed description of your elaborate and tasty sounding breakfast makins’? LOL! I’m glad to see your OJ seems to be finding its way into your cereal these days, instead of your coffee cup!;)
Every one of these Ironwood Lambsfoot knives shown so far, has been absolutely amazing to look at. As they’ve been rolling into the thread courtesy of their new owners, I’ve been studying the group pic like GT, and wondering which one of those left is my one.

In truth, the one that arrived in my mailbox this morning wasn’t one I had really studied that closely. (Like others here, I copied the group pics to the camera roll on my Ipad, so I could zoom in and scrutinise them in more detail!)
I had to actually identify its position by referring to the pile side, as the mark side appears very dark.
The dark burl actually has a beautiful, complex figuring to it, when you look into it.

If the mark side is to be looked ‘into’ to bring out its intricate detail, the pile side jumps straight out at you with its bold striping and lovely tawny red-gold shimmer.
But look at both sides in the sunlight, and wow, that luminous shimmer is incredible!

rOoP69C.jpg

GUcRCnu.jpg

Congrats on your ravishing 2-faced ironwood lambsfoot, Chin! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
(Regarding my food commentary, recall that I did qualify my reluctance with the statement, "But sometimes I can't help myself." :rolleyes:)

...I think @Cambertree may have been the first to use the word here, I don't think I'd heard it before that myself :thumbsup:
I did a search of this thread, Jack, and your memory is impeccable in recalling Chin as the first to use "chatoyance" in this thread. (I had heard it earlier, so I searched the Trad. subforum, and I'll bet I first heard it from Jeff @black mamba in 2014, although it was apparently first used on The Porch in 2010, long before I showed up here.)

Boy, this thing is really coming along nicely! (I almost typed that with a straight face...) I wish we could do the annual forum knife in this manner; make a suggestion, and BOOM!, it goes on the knife! :thumbsup: :D

qAFRFHL.jpg
Barrett, I was prepared to hate the knife you were proposing, but once I saw it, I decided that a hotdog shield covers a multitude of sins!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::p

We've been so charmed by the pretty covers, but don't forget about the blade. I cut up some fruit and have a nice rainbow now.
f04uYJT.jpg
Got ya covered John! :p Nothin' crazy... fruit a couple of days ago, then jalapenos yesterday, and some sausage today. Oh and some fishin' line (dry :oops:).
full
Good job on getting patina started, @r8shell & @peanutsxx! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I always feel a lot better about using a carbon steel blade once it has a patina.

Please forgive my extended absence; I have had a lot on my plate. I am ecstatic about the 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot. Thank you again for your hard work on these Jack.
https://imgur.com/a/4ZQgLRD
aaafec81-261a-4d1e-88da-e04c335c0ef8
Welcome back @StoneBeard, and congrats on the impressive ironwood lambsfoot! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That was my first impression. After playing with it, I grew rather fond of it. It’s very thin, and because it’s inexpensive, I don’t have to worry about playing rough with it. I simply rinse, dry, and oil it. It will make a great food knife. It’s not and ooh and ahh knife. Just a fun thing.
D5A5A875-D3F6-46BC-BF61-07A36EB5F845_zpsgfmmk6rg.jpeg

I think that's a desirable knife, @cigarrodog, but I have a "thang" for metal knives! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I carry a lambsfoot...
full

...because it all adds up. Well that's what I get when stuck to a desk today...
:thumbsup::thumbsup::D

That's all for now. Hope to be back later this evening!

- GT

GT, you are too kind to rewind, but your effort is certainly noted, and appreciated. Thank you.
Mike, I quoted your post in my last post, but apparently didn't write anything about it. I simply wanted to congratulate you, along with all the other recipients of incredible ironwood lambsfoots! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Congrats on that big, brawny Oates lambsfoot, @cigarrodog! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the follow-up photos, Dennis! :thumbsup::thumbsup::) I was afraid when I saw your first pic that you had received one of the ones that looked "flat black" to me in the original group pic, and I felt bad for you. But your close-ups show that your knife is at least as cool as the others, and maybe cooler, since yours is like a "photographic negative" with lots of black shot through with orange veins (and that "wave" in the handle). :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Congrats, Darren, and welcome to the Guardians! :):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Yours has some of my favorite grain, Russell! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (And in that orientation, I see some kind of round-headed, grinning, fully-bearded gargoyle in your knife! :eek: I hope I'm not the ONLY one to see it. :rolleyes:)

Sounds good, Mykel. :cool::cool::thumbsup: My rosewood lambsfoot is probably my favorite:
View attachment 1074658

Thanks for learnin' me some history, Jer! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I hope your cut heals soon, @Mescladis; is it the type of wound you can "dress" with super-glue?

Thanks for that shot, Taylor! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

You have, and I tend to agree: another 3 months and this winter should be just a bad memory. ;)

Awesome oxhorn, FBC!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats on your ravishing 2-faced ironwood lambsfoot, Chin! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
(Regarding my food commentary, recall that I did qualify my reluctance with the statement, "But sometimes I can't help myself." :rolleyes:)

I did a search of this thread, Jack, and your memory is impeccable in recalling Chin as the first to use "chatoyance" in this thread. (I had heard it earlier, so I searched the Trad. subforum, and I'll bet I first heard it from Jeff @black mamba in 2014, although it was apparently first used on The Porch in 2010, long before I showed up here.)

Barrett, I was prepared to hate the knife you were proposing, but once I saw it, I decided that a hotdog shield covers a multitude of sins!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::p

Good job on getting patina started, @r8shell & @peanutsxx! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I always feel a lot better about using a carbon steel blade once it has a patina.

Welcome back @StoneBeard, and congrats on the impressive ironwood lambsfoot! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think that's a desirable knife, @cigarrodog, but I have a "thang" for metal knives! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::D

That's all for now. Hope to be back later this evening!

- GT

Back