Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Took my lambsfoot for a walk this afternoon.
BQvlWGv.jpg

Worked a week of overtime. Came back to nearly 40 pages of Lambsfoot content I’ve got to catch up on!!

Received my Ironwood for 2019 and I love it.
f1ae1gx.jpg

And and close to show the grain
Y2Jz1xi.jpg

Have a couple questions. The tip is a little rounded on the blade, should I just run it on a stone to try and get it to more of a point? Oddly I’ve never tried to do this, since I mostly strop them to keep sharp.

Second, I washed the knife pretty hood and the finish on the wood looks a little dull (matte), I’ve rubbed some mineral oil on the wood, but it’s not making it any more glossy. What should I rub the wood with to try and get a more luster/shiny finish?

And, lastly, thank you to Jack Black Jack Black for making this knife happen. It’s a great addition and I’m gonna try and locate my knife on the pic ASAP. Probably before I go back and read all the missed pages (could be another week!!)

Joe

Since you are in the States you will be able to buy Minwax Tung Oil at almost any hardware or big box store..…. It will provide a durable finish for the wood handles..... You can also use boiled linseed oil...…… But my nod goes to the tung oil...…..

I took a drive into town to check my mail box today and low and behold there was an airmail packet from Sheffield waiting for me.:cool:

My little Rosie's here and I am very pleased to say the least!
F&F is better than expected with just the slightest gap on the hind end pile side.(need a flashlight to see light through it)
It isn't a nail breaker, though it opens and closes with real authority and I can pinch it open no problem, due in no small part to the substantial nail nick I'm sure.
The wood has some nice light and dark figuring to it, and it came sharp enough to cut paper curlies on the nice hand written note included from The Famous Sheffield Shop.(sorry, can't make out the name of the person that wrote it. Starts with a P.)

This first pic is indoors in front of my computer and the next are outdoors in better light.
F1BDIoX.jpg

6hjO86a.jpg

QFcJZBj.jpg

If the 2019 Guardians knife is anything like this economy version of the A.Wright and Son's Lambsfoot, then I am surely in for a treat when it gets here.:)

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my ironwood, it’s very nice and I’ve seen a lot to like in all of yours. And the second batch looks amazing too!! Nothing but home runs as far as I’m concerned.

Here’s a nice pic of it in all its glory and a close up of the tip as requested by Jack Black Jack Black
5R1BGZ6.jpg

5EjghoG.jpg

I wanna try and shape it back to a point, but am scared I’ll mess it up. Any input is super appreciated!

Joe

I took a drive into town to check my mail box today and low and behold there was an airmail packet from Sheffield waiting for me.:cool:

F&F is better than expected with just the slightest gap on the hind end pile side.(need a flashlight to see light through it)
It isn't a nail breaker, though it opens and closes with real authority and I can pinch it open no problem, due in no small part to the substantial nail nick I'm sure.
The wood has some nice light and dark figuring to it, and it came sharp enough to cut paper curlies on the nice hand written note included from The Famous Sheffield Shop.(sorry, can't make out the name of the person that wrote it. Starts with a P.)

This first pic is indoors in front of my computer and the next are outdoors in better light.
F1BDIoX.jpg

6hjO86a.jpg

QFcJZBj.jpg

If the 2019 Guardians knife is anything like this economy version of the A.Wright and Son's Lambsfoot, then I am surely in for a treat when it gets here.:)

You will definitely be in for a surprise. For me anyway the 2019 is hands down a big cut above the regular run.

I'll be interested in the replies about the polishing of Ironwood, mine was dulled during my flushing out of the stuff left over from the building of it. You sure have a nice one.

Did you submerge the knife in water? I flushed my knife's joint with oil and compressed air.

I won't say submerged...I ran it under hot water after spraying the blade channel with brake cleaner then WD 40. Then compressed air to blow it all out and dry.

Hot water is not usually good to wood-handled knives.

I'd agree with this, likewise chemicals, they are best avoided as they can rob wood of natural oils :thumbsup:

Since you are in the States you will be able to buy Minwax Tung Oil at almost any hardware or big box store..…. It will provide a durable finish for the wood handles..... You can also use boiled linseed oil...…… But my nod goes to the tung oil...…..

Good suggestion, I've used Tung Oil on wooden FB handles, boiled linseed oil too many years ago. I rarely put anything at all on my pocket knife handles though, unless they're going into storage :thumbsup:

The pile side of one of my ironwood lambs is exceedingly dull and shows zero reaction to light. Looks very much like ebony. The mark side has beautiful grain but also has little reaction to the light. I was wondering if it just needs an ultra fine buffing. I may give it a try but I'm also thinking about sending it to Glenn and let him work his magic on it.

Is that the second one you got Dwight? I don't know as much as I'd like about wood, but it can usually be made to shine in my limited experience. Sending it to Glenn seems a little drastic :thumbsup:

0HeaAR9.jpg

There we go.
Sorry for the hold up guys, work has been intense.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I've updated the pic and will post it ASAP :thumbsup:

Here we go :)

90BfxZX.jpg

First brewery and pint of the day. I'm partial to red ales so it is only appropriate to kick things off with a good red.

Vagabond Brewing - On the Road Red.

Vagabond is owned and operated by veterans of our armed forces and they make excellent beer. They used to make an Irish Wolfhound Red that was more of an Irish style. I'm guessing that it wasn't hoppy enough for our PNW denizens...

This red is a good replacement though.

mckAaQm.jpg

Next brewery is Bine Valley Brewing. A small, hole in the wall place that doesn't do much other than make great beer. No fancy glassware or anything but they make great beer.

This is a Rye Porter. 6%.

QJMpgLa.jpg

Next brewery!

Salem Ale Works

I don't know much about this brewery but they have axe throwing cages here....

I opted for the Spikes Out Smoked Porter.
Quite tasty.

3JcQIBO.jpg

I'm really enjoying your brewery posts Dylan, thanks for sharing them with us here :) Looks like a fantastic day out :) :thumbsup:

Have really been enjoying the ebony lambsfoot that I got the other week, so I dug out the old Taylor's Eyewitness that I have had for years. I have mentioned before that it has really bad fit and finish. On looking again it is not that bad apart from the gap between bolster and wood. So I filled the gap with epoxy, then sanded it down and gave it a polish. I am really rather please with it as a nice user. View attachment 1079372

Definitely worth putting to work :) :thumbsup:

I like everything about that picture. It makes me want to be outside enjoying my knives.

Thanks John, I was just trying out a new titanium twig stove I got recently, the wind changed just as I was taking the pic! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack and I'm glad you were able to take a hike and enjoy some quality time.

Thanks a lot Dwight, after more than 6 months of rail-strikes, it's been a while since I was able to get out that way, and the weather was a real bonus :) Unfortunately, I have work, work, work for the next week or so :( :thumbsup:

Took my lambsfoot for a walk this afternoon.
BQvlWGv.jpg

Looks like you both had a great hike David :) :thumbsup:

F1BDIoX.jpg

6hjO86a.jpg

QFcJZBj.jpg

Congratulations Myke :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! Glad you had a nice hike and thanks for the photos! :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Ron, I took about 20 pics, and only about 3 were in focus! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Sorry so many of you are suffering with severe cold weather. It was about 78 degrees Fahrenheit here. I took my lamb for a bike ride:
33314995598_a20d2c646c_h.jpg

She's perched on my Trek mountain bike saddle.

Beautiful pic Vince, really shows off your knife well :) :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my ironwood, it’s very nice and I’ve seen a lot to like in all of yours. And the second batch looks amazing too!! Nothing but home runs as far as I’m concerned.

Here’s a nice pic of it in all its glory and a close up of the tip as requested by Jack Black Jack Black
5R1BGZ6.jpg

5EjghoG.jpg

I wanna try and shape it back to a point, but am scared I’ll mess it up. Any input is super appreciated!

Joe

Thanks Joe, shame about that point :( I think that if you just sharpen it as normal, it'll be as it should be though :thumbsup:

Cheers Taylor :) :thumbsup:

"I swore I'd kill him if I ever got out of Andersonville!"
"Like those twelve other guys you swore you'd kill if you ever got out of Andersonville, or Johnson County, or the Barbary Coast, or..."
vH6WrRv.jpg

Not that I never had a crush on Miss Audra.

Fab pic Jer :thumbsup:

I'm really up to my neck in work here, so you may not see much of me today, but I hope everyone has a great sunday :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
JoeGoblyn JoeGoblyn - that's a fairly easy fix- a lot of people make the mistake of trying to take the edge back "up to meet the downward spine angle ( that makes the Lambs-foot so recognizable) you could do it that way- but you loose a lot of blade - so dont my friend.
I have re-tipped broken Sheepsfoot Knives, possibly Lambsfoot's in the past as well - I have done a lot of them- as well as your ordinary Clip Points etc....

I would take a small block of something very hard like a very flat & solid bit of steel - dont wrap sandpaper around- it takes the "sharpness" of the block out- tear off a bit of 240g and just use one face of the block and work the Lambsfoot's Spine ( the downward slope down to the very tip of the Blade ) - this will happen quickly- feather ( blend ) in your careful strokes up the Lambsfoot "drop down" (the part that goes down to the tip ) - there will be three stages..

1st stage: First and foremost the flat edge of the Spine- this will take down the spine to the tip - ending in a clean very sharp new tip.
2nd & 3rd stages: The next two stages are blending back in your Swage Work towards your tip of the blade as you will take a wee tiny bit out as the new Spine edge comes in slightly - you wont have to resharpen your knife as you should not and wont touch the actual cutting edge.

Finish with 320g after your 240g, then 400g after your 320g ( dont try and rush staright to the 400g after the 240g.).

You wont loose your original Lambsfoot angle as you will be making sure that when you blend your sanding motions up away from the tip that you will be reclaiming this, ( you could trace around your blade on a piece of paper before you start- and use that as a reference- but honestly the amount of steel you will be taking off in super minimal).

Have faith- take your time - if I can do it- anyone can.

JoeGoblyn JoeGoblyn - that's a fairly easy fix- a lot of people make the mistake of trying to take the edge back "up to meet the downward spine angle ( that makes the Lambs-foot so recognizable) you could do it that way- but you loose a lot of blade - so dont my friend.
I have re-tipped broken Sheepsfoot Knives, possibly Lambsfoot's in the past as well - I have done a lot of them- as well as your ordinary Clip Points etc....

I would take a small block of something very hard like a very flat & solid bit of steel - dont wrap sandpaper around- it takes the "sharpness" of the block out- tear off a bit of 240g and just use one face of the block and work the Lambsfoot's Spine ( the downward slope down to the very tip of the Blade ) - this will happen quickly- feather ( blend ) in your careful strokes up the Lambsfoot "drop down" (the part that goes down to the tip ) - there will be three stages..

1st stage: First and foremost the flat edge of the Spine- this will take down the spine to the tip - ending in a clean very sharp new tip.
2nd & 3rd stages: The next two stages are blending back in your Swage Work towards your tip of the blade as you will take a wee tiny bit out as the new Spine edge comes in slightly - you wont have to resharpen your knife as you should not and wont touch the actual cutting edge.

Finish with 320g after your 240g, then 400g after your 320g ( dont try and rush staright to the 400g after the 240g.).

You wont loose your original Lambsfoot angle as you will be making sure that when you blend your sanding motions up away from the tip that you will be reclaiming this, ( you could trace around your blade on a piece of paper before you start- and use that as a reference- but honestly the amount of steel you will be taking off in super minimal).

Have faith- take your time - if I can do it- anyone can.

Super-helpful post Duncan, it looked to me like the blade had simply not been sharpened right to the tip :thumbsup:

Treating myself to another Double Lambsfoot Day today :) I used my Rosewood Big 'Un absolutely loads yesterday, but can't see these doing a great deal of work today, always nice to carry though ;) :thumbsup:

4Vfmp92.jpg

w92AZ8G.jpg

Don't know what you're referring to, but nice pic.
Sorry and thanks.
Heath Barclay of The Big Valley (Lee Majors). Every other week someone would turn up whom Heath had sworn to kill if he ever saw him again, and it never got easier for Heath to not kill the varmint. (Heath (the outsider who had to fight to belong) had had a rough upbringing because he was the unknown illegitimate son of the late Daddy Barclay.)
But the show was all about Linda Evans, who always carried a lambsfoot.
5jZbVTB.jpg

Rose Beast pre-patina.

Last edited:
JoeGoblyn JoeGoblyn - et al,

Working up a shine on these knives could be as "easy" as applying a wax to the handle and buffing like crazy. You could use some nice carnauba or name brands such as "Butcher's Wax" or "Briwax" clear. Even some shoe polish will work. Pastes are better than creams IMHO and wax is better than Tung Oil or Watco or similar woodworking penetrating oils.

The oils will only work to enhance luster if they are blended with products that will allow them to build a surface film. The film would impart the shine but also potentially obscure the intrinsic beauty of the wood. OK on raw wood but would not be my choice on these knives.

BACK to wax - The secret to wax is applying very thin films and buffing and buffing. A rag wheel on a Dremel or the like will help immensely because it will generate heat which greatly aids in penetrating the surface and building a thin film. Lots of elbow grease otherwise with a clean cotton (terry cloth is good).

The porosity of some of these samples could be problematic when using wax (especially liquid waxes) because the holes will fill with wax and when dry, leave residual spots. This is especially why I don't like liquid waxes. The clear or colored paste waxes will retain their color when dry so they blend in better. The rag wheel buff makes the distribution more thorough. Maybe 2 coats is warranted but don't skimp between coats with the buffing. You are really shining the wax not the wood.

Depending on how and how often you handle the knife this finish could last years without need for a touch up and in the meanwhile help to protect from surface contaminants. Easy to repair or reapply. Wash clean, dry and then reapply. Think thin and buff with determination. The gleam is in your effort.

All part of the fun and the beauty of the wood. Enjoy.

Ray

Last edited:
Is that the second one you got Dwight? I don't know as much as I'd like about wood, but it can usually be made to shine in my limited experience. Sending it to Glenn seems a little drastic
It's really just the pile side of the first one Jack. I like the W/T and the bolsters on these better than any of the others I have. I was merely thinking out loud. My turn in line (with Glenn) is getting nearer and I'm leaning toward a lambsfoot mod.

Have faith- take your time - if I can do it- anyone can
Great tutorial Duncan. Thanks for sharing.

But the show was all about Linda Evans, who always carried a lambsfoot
:D

I was able to take this Lamb out for some sunshine this morning!
The grain looks like sunlit fur! Glorious Ironwood.

Have a great Sunday Guardians!

fullsizeoutput_108c.jpeg

Last edited:
Back