Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Nice one JP, that Prévert 'poetry' almost reads like some of Samuel Beckett's French poems!:D;)

Very nice hoard you assembled there, Jack, and generous as always, my friend.:thumbsup:

That looks like a tasty chilli, there Greg.:) I also like seeing those photos of everyones Lambsfoot knives at work.

This pic was an outtake (bad lighting) from a while ago, of a quick Lambsfoot-made, chilli fired snack.

JxuAtnl.jpg

Japanese pickled radish, cucumber, garlic, silken tofu and a good dipping soy sauce, all chilled - and the key ingredient - fine slivers of an intense, homegrown Thai birds-eye chilli. These might not be super hot for a real chilli-fiend, but eating a small sliver will get your undivided attention pretty quick! They'd definitely be well north of 100,000 Scoville units, I think!

Cheers! I enjoyed that idyllic 'English Pastoral' looking photo sequence with your Unity, out and about. Looks like you got out into some nice country.:)

I miss the craic at those great English and Irish pubs!:thumbsup::cool:

Fine group, Jack (MrKnife).:thumbsup::cool:

They're all very nice, but I recall you saying the snakewood pair were advertised as being made by Wright's 'gaffer' - Mr Maleham himself? That's definitely a plus, and I think I recall reading somewhere that this is common to all the snakewood handled knives A. Wright & Son make, due to the cost of the cover material. Snakewood is one of the most expensive exotic timbers, I understand, and is extremely hard - 3800 lb/force on the Janka scale. By comparison, ebony can be around 3200 lb/force, and rosewood around 1780 lb/force. (The Janka scale measures how much force it takes to embed a .444" steel ball, to its full diameter, half its height into the timber sample.) As a reference point, White Ash, American Beech, Teak, and Red and English Oak are generally in the 1100-1300 lb/force hardness range.

Did you get a bit of mineral oil into those buffalo covers? The ends might be a bit dry. Natural materials often undergo a bit of dimensional change with long air flights and going from the conditions in one part of the world to another.

I had this one out again, over the weekend, after some maintenance sharpening and stropping:

EESZs7A.jpg
Fantastic horn on your lambsfoot, Cambertree!!:thumbsup:

Being homeschooled for much of my boyhood education, the opportunities for reading were rather endless and I took considerable advantage of it. Being a rather voracious reader, I read everything I could get my hands on and I consider myself rather fortunate that my mother had and maintained a rather extensive library.

As a young lad, I was particularly drawn to stories of men and their canine companions and I even acquired my own wee collection of vintage books that contained stories of dogs and the like with my own allowance money. I was rather fond of Jack London, Jack O'Brien, and the like. So it might seem a bit odd that one of my favorite stories was an old book named Bob, Son of Battle or Owd Bob: The Grey Dog of Kenmuir, written by the author Alfred Ollivant. I am not sure exactly why, but I was rather taken with this story as a boy and I even sympathized with the "villain" in a sense. It also helped that the book was written in a dialect that I found rather charming.

In any case, you might be wondering what this has to do with Lambsfoot knives and I suppose you would be right to wonder. However, I was thinking about this book the other day and I was struck by the thought that the men depicted in this story would have surely been men who would have quite possibly been in possession of a Lambsfoot knife. They were, after all, shepherds of a sort and most definitely of the working class and in one case there is even mention of a "black-handled jack-knife". I wouldn't think it too far a stretch of the imagination...

Regardless, it is a childhood favorite of mine and I thought it would pair quite nicely with Rosie for a brief photo op.

KFtAUJf.jpg

5uVlB6H.jpg

Great post Dylan, and it sounds like you had an excellent literary education my friend :) :thumbsup:

here they are! http://imgur.com/a/7xej5

i think those cracks cant be fixed. again im not gonna kick up a fuss about it. I had my hesitations going in and knew what a fragile material buffalo horn can be. Interestingly the tang stamp is different and not Awrights...

here they are! http://imgur.com/a/7xej5

i think those cracks cant be fixed. again im not gonna kick up a fuss about it. I had my hesitations going in and knew what a fragile material buffalo horn can be. Interestingly the tang stamp is different and not Awrights...

Not something we can discuss here, but I'd certainly be interested to know the vendor. I have to say that there are several UK vendors I wouldn't touch with a barge-pole. In this case, personally, I'd be more annoyed by the lack of the A.Wright tang stamp than by the horn :(

Jack, even without a paid BF membership, I think you should still be able to post imgur images here :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack. I'm sure my mother is pleased I at least retained a few things from my schooling. :D

I'm sure she is Dylan :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Ive attempted to with the image insert but all I seem to get is IMG and nothing shows up :(
After you click on the image and bring it up to a picture /// on the R.H. Side there will be a list of things associated with it . In white lettering you will find " Linked BBCode " and under that you will find the " url=http://imgur "
Left click on that and turn it GREEN then Right click on that to find the COPY . Then Paste that over just like you did with Photobucket .

Harry

ill have to try that! next batch coming in lets say two weeksish! thanks fellas

Please! :thumbsup:

As per my post a couple of weeks back (see below), if you're struggling, you can always ask for help in the Technical Forum. I hope you'll do that :thumbsup:

You're not alone in struggling with the new system my friend :) In terms of image hosting/posting, there are a lot of helpful threads in the Technical forum - http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/tech-support-general-q-a-site-feedback-more.679/ - and I'm sure that someone will be able to help you there. It's also a pretty good place to try test posts :thumbsup:

I'm having a few days in Sheffield towards the end of the week :) I won't have a chance to visit Arthur Wright's unfortunately on this occasion, but at least hoping to get a few pics while I'm in Sheffield :thumbsup:

awwww was hoping youd be able to hand pick a few for me!!!

next time! straight back and the best stag :D

I am certainly way overdue a visit :) @ADEE gifted me a couple of pairs of old stag scales recently, and I wouldn't mind seeing if they can be put to some use ;) Here's the best I've had to date :thumbsup:

I wish they'd cut the stag a little thinner, rather than cut it thick and have to grind off some of the bark. I did get a swayback in stag off them a while back, but the stag is that kind of grey stuff without any great character, it looks OK, but not like sambar :(

I am certainly way overdue a visit :) @ADEE gifted me a couple of pairs of old stag scales recently, and I wouldn't mind seeing if they can be put to some use ;) Here's the best I've had to date :thumbsup:

I wish they'd cut the stag a little thinner, rather than cut it thick and have to grind off some of the bark. I did get a swayback in stag off them a while back, but the stag is that kind of grey stuff without any great character, it looks OK, but not like sambar :(

thats quite neat! hope the stag comes ok!

thats quite neat! hope the stag comes ok!

Thanks Jack :thumbsup: The problem is the Indian Government's export ban on sambar stag, British stag just isn't of the same quality, our climate is too damp :( That's sambar on my Lambsfoot above though ;)

Just about to hit the hay here, and I'll be away in Sheffield until Sunday, but I'll have this Lambsfoot with me :thumbsup:

AW SB Lambsfoot 16-9.JPG

Back