Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

So the Henderson's is shuttered then. I'd it still in production elsewhere Jack? I've not heard of that one.

Yes, after about 150 years, they moved to larger and more modern premises a year or so ago. The building is now owned by Sheffield University, and they intend to keep the signs and turn it into a pub :) Like a lot of Sheffielders, including one of my daughters, I was born in the hospital opposite the building. The University own that now too!

We prefer HP over our A1; I like Heinz 57 Steak Sauce the best, but again, not on a good steak.

:) :thumbsup:

Being homeschooled for much of my boyhood education, the opportunities for reading were rather endless and I took considerable advantage of it. Being a rather voracious reader, I read everything I could get my hands on and I consider myself rather fortunate that my mother had and maintained a rather extensive library.

As a young lad, I was particularly drawn to stories of men and their canine companions and I even acquired my own wee collection of vintage books that contained stories of dogs and the like with my own allowance money. I was rather fond of Jack London, Jack O'Brien, and the like. So it might seem a bit odd that one of my favorite stories was an old book named Bob, Son of Battle or Owd Bob: The Grey Dog of Kenmuir, written by the author Alfred Ollivant. I am not sure exactly why, but I was rather taken with this story as a boy and I even sympathized with the "villain" in a sense. It also helped that the book was written in a dialect that I found rather charming.

In any case, you might be wondering what this has to do with Lambsfoot knives and I suppose you would be right to wonder. However, I was thinking about this book the other day and I was struck by the thought that the men depicted in this story would have surely been men who would have quite possibly been in possession of a Lambsfoot knife. They were, after all, shepherds of a sort and most definitely of the working class and in one case there is even mention of a "black-handled jack-knife". I wouldn't think it too far a stretch of the imagination...

Regardless, it is a childhood favorite of mine and I thought it would pair quite nicely with Rosie for a brief photo op.

KFtAUJf.jpg

5uVlB6H.jpg
Very cool post Dylan. :thumbsup:

I'm having a few days in Sheffield towards the end of the week :) I won't have a chance to visit Arthur Wright's unfortunately on this occasion, but at least hoping to get a few pics while I'm in Sheffield :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack :thumbsup: The problem is the Indian Government's export ban on sambar stag, British stag just isn't of the same quality, our climate is too damp :( That's sambar on my Lambsfoot above though ;)

Just about to hit the hay here, and I'll be away in Sheffield until Sunday, but I'll have this Lambsfoot with me :thumbsup:

View attachment 750819

Jack, I find the backgrounds in your pics as interesting as your knives. Also, that lamb foot carving is great!

Jack, I find the backgrounds in your pics as interesting as your knives. Also, that lamb foot carving is great!

Thanks a lot pal, Greg did a great job of Arthur I think :) In that particular pic, the two hills in the background are Carl Wark, an Iron Age hillfort, and the slightly loftier Higgar Tor :thumbsup:

This stubborn ol' girl has finally smoothed out. She got a little better and then a lot worse ( I think a little burr of metal broke loose and got trapped for a bit. ) After some heavy flushing and a few blasts of compressed air, I think it is cleared out.
Any how, here she is basking in the eclipse light.
35891562434_90736f85e3_b.jpg

This stubborn ol' girl has finally smoothed out. She got a little better and then a lot worse ( I think a little burr of metal broke loose and got trapped for a bit. ) After some heavy flushing and a few blasts of compressed air, I think it is cleared out.
Any how, here she is basking in the eclipse light.
35891562434_90736f85e3_b.jpg

Looking good Kevin, glad you got her fettled ;) :thumbsup:

lets see if this worked! another one came in but it doesnt look right

Code:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/qkepb"><a href="//imgur.com/qkepb"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Almost looks like you are trying to paste the HTML code in. Try pasting the BBCode, that works much better. Or are you using your phone?

How odd. If you aren't a member, how are you able to use their services?

Seems like your last attempt worked. You have pics of the knife?

so something about that doesnt look right
iI2myjY.jpg

the blade doesnt seemed to be opening all the way right? it is flush tho :/

Oh, I can point out the problem. It's stainless... :D But, in all seriousness, that is indeed an odd angle...

yup, they have a slightly different area for that

I didn't realize Imgur offered their service without requiring one to become a member. I suppose that is useful to those who don't want to bother with the ins and outs of maintaining a membership.

However, if for whatever reason you do decide to obtain a membership (it's free), then the following screenshot should aid you in posting pictures. (Hopefully Jack is ok with me posting this here, perhaps other members who frequent this thread might find it useful as well). However, I will happily edit it out if necessary.

ScrqUrO.png

Either back of the blade has too much material or the spring is too long where they meet. have seen other knives around like that too.

Either back of the blade has too much material or the spring is too long where they meet. have seen other knives around like that too.

whats funny is, when it was open, its almost flush. guess ill have to do some trimming!

Thanks Dylan :thumbsup: Jack, PLEASE stop using this thread to practice posting, either review your posts before posting, edit them afterwards, or ask for some advice in the Technical subforum, and practice posting there :thumbsup: Sorry, but this can only be said so many times, it's gone on way too long, and you're making a mess of the thread.

That's a bad case of blade cant on your Rodgers Lambsfoot. I've seen that on other recent examples of their knives too :( The ebony looks nice, what are you going to do, return it? Blade cant is something I really hate personally.

so something about that doesnt look right
iI2myjY.jpg

the blade doesnt seemed to be opening all the way right? it is flush tho :/
I have noticed that a lot of the Sheffield knives look like that Jack . I just checked my TEW Lambsfoot and it is not like that . Otherwise I think that Rodgers is a pretty nice looking Barlow .

Harry

Thanks Dylan :thumbsup: Jack, PLEASE stop using this thread to practice posting, either review your posts before posting, edit them afterwards, or ask for some advice in the Technical subforum, and practice posting there :thumbsup: Sorry, but this can only be said so many times, it's gone on way too long, and you're making a mess of the thread.

That's a bad case of blade cant on your Rodgers Lambsfoot. I've seen that on other recent examples of their knives too :( The ebony looks nice, what are you going to do, return it? Blade cant is something I really hate personally.

i tried to erase that believe me, if i could id delete it. sorry! dont worry, ill stop sharing

its their delrin barlow that i used amazon for, so im not really going to waste the time or money to return it. i think ill either tinker with it or just chalk it up as a poor purchase from a lousy dealer either way its not worth the the trouble chasing them down to get money back.

I have noticed that a lot of the Sheffield knives look like that Jack . I just checked my TEW Lambsfoot and it is not like that . Otherwise I think that Rodgers is a pretty nice looking Barlow .

Really Harry? I did see a Wright's two-blader like that, but it was some time ago. It's something I really hate, I guess it doesn't bother everyone, but it'd drive me crazy! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Back