Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Never heard of a gill. The more common liquors generally have a pouring spout attached, and most bartenders seem to use stainless steel jiggers--the double ones with maybe one ounce in the smaller end and two ounces in the other (I'm estimating). Sometimes they pour with a jigger and may add a little, especially if you've been tipping (and I always tip well!). Me, I'm a free pourer at home, although I measure my wife's drinks using a steel jigger (she's better at budgeting, which is why she now manages our bank account ;) ). My martinis are probably at least three ounces of gin with some vermouth. Sometimes I have a Dean Martini: four ounces of chilled gin.

Yeah most people over here have never heard of a gill either; it's one of the more obscure Imperial measurements that are no longer used like bushels or drams. The pub next to my grandad's farm was (is still) called "The Comfortable Gill" referring to a generous measure :thumbsup:
I've seen U.S bars on telly shows and often wondered what stopped the barstaff from just carrying on pouring. Does a 'jigger' hold a certain volume then?
Cocktails are a foreign world to me, as are wines; British real ale only for me :):thumbsup: I can appreciate a fine single malt (and a quality vodka) but no longer bother as the prices for a bottle of quality single malt have just gone silly here and I'm not made of money. Mind you, as a bachelor, I've still got control of my finances so in theory I can spend as much as I please on whatever I want :D:D
Saying that Mrs Prester John sounds a generous lady with the finances as three or four ounces of gin doesn't sound to stingy :D:thumbsup:
Here's looking forward to a summer of martinis and ale :)

Yeah most people over here have never heard of a gill either; it's one of the more obscure Imperial measurements that are no longer used like bushels or drams. The pub next to my grandad's farm was (is still) called "The Comfortable Gill" referring to a generous measure :thumbsup:
I've seen U.S bars on telly shows and often wondered what stopped the barstaff from just carrying on pouring. Does a 'jigger' hold a certain volume then?
Cocktails are a foreign world to me, as are wines; British real ale only for me :):thumbsup: I can appreciate a fine single malt (and a quality vodka) but no longer bother as the prices for a bottle of quality single malt have just gone silly here and I'm not made of money. Mind you, as a bachelor, I've still got control of my finances so in theory I can spend as much as I please on whatever I want :D:D
Saying that Mrs Prester John sounds a generous lady with the finances as three or four ounces of gin doesn't sound to stingy :D:thumbsup:
Here's looking forward to a summer of martinis and ale :)
Jiggers come in different sizes, I think, but a "shot" is usually considered an ounce and a half. A good bartender will pour a little more. Amateur bartenders (maybe a hotel employee designated to pour drinks at a banquet or party) will often pour too little. I ask for more. Generally now I just get a beer at those functions. I get my full serving and pay more reasonable prices. I drink my liquor at home in the evening. The "three or four ounces of gin" is per martini, and I always have two. :)
But more often I will have bourbon or scotch, neat or maybe with a little ice (except for single malts--never put ice in those!). I prefer scotch to bourbon, but as you say, it is expensive. Bourbon is half the price. Sometimes I have vodka on the rocks, or beer or wine. Always in moderation. ;)
2RLTSFd.jpg

Cheers!

Jiggers come in different sizes, I think, but a "shot" is usually considered an ounce and a half. A good bartender will pour a little more. Amateur bartenders (maybe a hotel employee designated to pour drinks at a banquet or party) will often pour too little. I ask for more. Generally now I just get a beer at those functions. I get my full serving and pay more reasonable prices. I drink my liquor at home in the evening. The "three or four ounces of gin" is per martini, and I always have two. :)
But more often I will have bourbon or scotch, neat or maybe with a little ice (except for single malts--never put ice in those!). I prefer scotch to bourbon, but as you say, it is expensive. Bourbon is half the price. Sometimes I have vodka on the rocks, or beer or wine. Always in moderation. ;)
2RLTSFd.jpg

Cheers!

LOL! You call those short measure bartenders amateurs but if you talked to their bosses I reckon they'd call them experts. :D
Home is probably the best place to enjoy your martinis. Beer is a social drink, spirits are for relaxing with some classical music or a bit of jazz :thumbsup:
pOaG7q3.jpg

Anyway, cheers! :thumbsup:

Thanks Dwight, yes indeed the green bone is intriguing, maybe because there are few here in the Forum...:cool::thumbsup:

Wright's don't make a lot of them :thumbsup:

A beautiful knife and photo Jack...;):thumbsup:

Thank you my friend :) :thumbsup:

Jack, sorry you did not get rested, Lucy's snoring , no doubt. No, the Lambsfoot is not a lemon it's a peach, but they're not in season.

David, do hope your days of sunshine refresh you. I'm not putting my winter gear away yet, It's 60 F and had bright sunshine this AM but the clouds are rolling in. This time of year here I can get weather of any sort. There was a tornado sixty miles to the northeast of me last week.:eek:
Finished up several outdoor projects. Still have to install a sleeve hitch on my riding mower. Rosie is along, I forgot her earlier and needed her for several tasks, but was away from the house so had to make do.
IMG_1032.JPG

Thanks buddy, nice to hear Rosie is helping out :) :thumbsup:

When we were still in our twenty's I was still a bit of a wild one. After work the other boys and I would head to the bar and I would not make it home till late :rolleyes:
This one week after being out two nights already, I knew I was in big trouble...there happened to be an Electrolux salesman sitting across from our table so I thought hey!:thumbsup: If I purchase a new vacuum for her I wont be in ca-ca o_O Wrong!!! :p

:D :D :D :thumbsup:

Flowers, a dress, jewelry, a night on the town, a really really nice new Lambsfoot........NOT A VACUUM!
I have been thinking of buying my wife this really nice machining mill, though. I'll just keep it in the garage and use it until she gets the hang of it. ;):p:D

46617107905_a0adcb083c_h.jpg

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Beautiful photo Kevin :) :thumbsup:

My father always told me for a great wine, a good knife!!!:D:thumbsup:

a5f7ko.jpg

You have a real treat awaiting there Jose :) :thumbsup:

Yeah most people over here have never heard of a gill either; it's one of the more obscure Imperial measurements that are no longer used like bushels or drams.

I still thought it was in use! :D I've been in a few bars here where they free pour :thumbsup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gill_(unit)

Cool pic Dave :cool: :thumbsup:

2RLTSFd.jpg

Cheers!

It's all good in moderation my friend :) Great pic :thumbsup:

I actually carried the ironwood today.
Still afraid to use it and ruin that pretty/shiny blade though. :D

I think I am going to bloody Lucy up soon :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

il_794xN.934934508_khd4.jpg

Two beautiful pieces made in the same city Sheffield!!!;):thumbsup:

2vxoaom.jpg
2dgkvn4.jpg

Very nice Jose, my whisky glass comes from the same place :)

J2FFuRc.jpg

I pass the building whenever I visit Sheffield. You may be interested to know that it was formerly owned by Firth Steel, and it was in that very building, in 1913, where Harry Brierley invented stainless steel. There is a plaque on the outside of the building :thumbsup:

Harry_Brearley.jpg

A stainless Lambsfoot by Stan Shaw (the mural of Harry Brierley was sadly replaced recently after local idiots found it a convenient site for graffitti :( ) :thumbsup:

4PVto2Q.jpg

Flowers, a dress, jewelry, a night on the town, a really really nice new Lambsfoot........NOT A VACUUM!
I have been thinking of buying my wife this really nice machining mill, though. I'll just keep it in the garage and use it until she gets the hang of it. ;):p:D

46617107905_a0adcb083c_h.jpg
I just can't get over how utterly black those lambs are. Gorgeous

Again another gorgeous black one. Nice painting Dave (Mrs Linda) :)

Vince you and David are gonna drive me to an early evening beverage if I'm not careful. :D

Okay Jack I will remove this if I'm wrong but this certainly seems to be a Lambsfoot on this Needham, Eyre St, Sheffield.
Whatcha think? A fine well made and strong one.IMG_0975.jpg

Thanks, Jack! as a boy the only candy, I remember my parents bringing was Black Licorice, Licorice Allsorts and Mom's favorite Scotch Mints. :thumbsdown::rolleyes:

My dad used to take me to watch football (soccer) every other Saturday, punishment enough, but he would only buy me 'Mint Imperials', small jaw-breaking sweets from another age, on the basis that he liked them as a kid! o_O He was a kid during WW2, they'd have been happy eating tin-cans! :rolleyes:

Jack thanks for posting those pictures! It's sad to hear so many people are unaware of it. I'm not from Sheffield but I've known about that for years. I can't remember where it was now but I remember looking at a lot of old photos of the aftermath. Quite the devastation was wrought by it :(

Yeah, 'cold' and 'thirsty' usually do it. :D
Now you see as you know your on'th right side 'o Pennines, which of course God smiles upon :D If you were wrong side like me you'd still wearing ya woolly pullys and woolly socks :rolleyes:. I keep getting pics from my mates in God's Own showing blue skies so I'm off up there tomorrow to catch a few days of sun before autumn returns. :thumbsup:

It caused incredible devastation David, and of course it left thousands orphaned, starving, homeless, and without work :(

Of course my friend! :D I went on the 901 Huddersfield-Hebden bus on Saturday, and as we very momentarily went over the county line, I was chilled to the very bone :D Have a great time tomorrow mate :thumbsup:

Back