Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

"At least" is the operative phrase, John. ;) I went to bed about 9pm Thursday and I was caught up in this thread. I got back to the thread on Saturday morning, and among other Saturday chores, eventually caught up about 6pm, after reading 11 pages.
The earliest of the multi quotes I just addressed were from more than a week ago, but I was essentially reading each page and choosing ONE post per page to which I'd respond. It's turned into a subjective "beauty contest" for me! :eek::rolleyes:

- GT
I'm sure I speak for all of us, we are just happy when you have time to pop in. :cool:

Thanks for wishing me well on my "vision quest", for the old psych joke, and for the stag lambsfoot photo! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: (How long does a 4.4oz jar of Marmite last you?)

Thanks, Dwight. :) See you later (I hope ;)).

Thanks for your informative reply to my nosy request, Harvey. :)

Another superb sylvan shot of your ironwood, Dwight! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Lots of green growth already in your neck of the woods! ;)

Puns :D
Sounds like "stag" history is quite a rabbit hole, Jack; thanks for the overview. Thanks also for some details on your enjoyable birthday activities, including photos - great shot of your AC.
Recently (well, sometime in the past week or two) there was a story, quite positive, on the radio about Wensleydale cheese. Was that just hipster hype, or is Wensleydale cheese a favorite of typical Yorkshire residents? Have you ever sliced some with a lambsfoot? ;)

Good to see your ironwood out "walking the plank", Dennis! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

:D

Thanks for the verdant vista, David! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Yes, indeed! :D

I have no more snow piles in my back yard! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Another Lam Jack photo, this time playing with my rosewood Union Jack:
View attachment 1105932

- GT
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind remarks. The window-lit portrait of your Union and Lam Jacks is superb, shown with a spot on composition. Some real skill with the totem carving. Have you ever carved an Opinel? Finally, that red leaf in the image of the Lam Jack adds a nice touch.

Im not a big traditional guy but i have enjoyed looking through the pictures and really like the blade shape and larger handle ive seen on some of these real lambsfoot pieces. I dont know anything about them other than what Ive read in this thread. Are these expensive knives? I imagine they are hard to find also but i would like to own one preferably in 3"+ blade length. Is there a particular year or model i could get into one as a beginner piece?

Thanks GT. Unfortunately no Lambsfoot in my pocket today on my Monday. But I do have a sebenza :cool:...

Happy Sunday Y'all!!!

Im not a big traditional guy but i have enjoyed looking through the pictures and really like the blade shape and larger handle ive seen on some of these real lambsfoot pieces. I dont know anything about them other than what Ive read in this thread. Are these expensive knives? I imagine they are hard to find also but i would like to own one preferably in 3"+ blade length. Is there a particular year or model i could get into one as a beginner piece?
I can’t post non-BFs commercial sites, and Jack Black Jack Black would know best, but your best intro into the wonderful world of Lambsfoot patterned knives, would be a Rosewood. Based on your size requirement, I would go for the large. I can send you info on where to acquire.

My only other thought is that this thread welcomes you to explore, follow, and join in. The only caution is no other knives but Lambsfoot ones. Welcome.

I can’t post non-BFs commercial sites, and Jack Black Jack Black would know best, but your best intro into the wonderful world of Lambsfoot patterned knives, would be a Rosewood. Based on your size requirement, I would go for the large. I can send you info on where to acquire.

My only other thought is that this thread welcomes you to explore, follow, and join in. The only caution is no other knives but Lambsfoot ones. Welcome.

Yes please send me some info that would be great! Thank you! I did find a ck real lambs foot for sale just now possibly at a good price. Thats what the blade says anyway. Looks like a dark wood handle maybe. The tip looks a little more narrow compared to examples here so maybe its the sheepsfoot version? its from A seller in the UK on another site, i emailed him for more info. Its in a lot of a few knives from his collection . I also found a couple sheffield lambs foots from another uk seller that are brand new jig bone handles. Is there a difference in ck and sheffield brands? Forgive me if it may be basic questions but Im not sure what to look for exactly.

Last edited:
Guardians, you're welcome to join me as I enter the Way-Back Machine and revisit some posts that caught my eye over a week ago. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Preston. :)

Dave & Dwight, thanks for the Awesome Captures, speaking photographically, of your ACs! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

What a heartless boss you have, FBC! :(:p
That OX-horn lambsfoot deserves your hugs and kisses! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

That shot shows off Old Toffee Wings old toffee wings to good effect, Jer! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

You see the world in a much richer way than I do, Harvey; stupendous shot!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

When my daughter was little, she watched a TV show about Barney the Purple Dinosaur and learned to sing, "I like to eat, eat, eat apples and bananas." I don't think the show ever extolled the virtue of a lambsfoot in enjoying that healthy snack. ;)

Congrats on the lambsfoot and on your recognizing ways to use it to enrich your life, @ty_higg! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Don't remember the first album I bought, but my first 45 was the Royal Guardsmen singing about "Snoopy vs. the Red Baron". (I think the only other 45 I ever bought was Cheech and Chong's "Basketball Jones". I guess it's not a surprise that I occasionally buy novelty knives. :D)

Awesome signed baseball, Barrett! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Your ironwood lambsfoot is almost as awesome! ;)

A stag lambsfoot among the flowers - very thoughtful, Rachel! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Taylor, that ebony lambsfoot on a big old knot looks fantastic! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Always good to see a rare jigged bone lambsfoot, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Handsome handful of lambsfoot, stag and ironwood, Joshua! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ironwood and daffodils! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: I'm starting to believe that spring WILL eventually come again! :rolleyes:

Cool pics for sure, Darren! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

That photo - shock and awe!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: Dwight, you're so good at taking pics already, and now you've trained spiders to help you?!? ;)

The old man's hairline is at the top red line, to the left of the baby, and his eyes are at about the same level as the baby's eyes, but his chin is almost down by the bird. I don't see the Lab. :(

:D That reminds me, Dave, after you named your '19 Guardians Lambsfoot Totem, I wanted to show you this little practice piece (above and to the right) I whittled 2-3 years ago:
dbGYY7X.jpg

I agree! :thumbsup::thumbsup: José's whale knife is a wonderful piece!

Here's a pic of my Lam Jack when it was new (October 2017):
View attachment 1105927

- GT
Good to see you here, Gary. Lovely photo of Lam Jack, and great post.

Beautiful river landscape and formidable "AC"!;):thumbsup:

Thank you my friend :) :thumbsup:

Good Sunday to all the Guardians, in the company of a beautiful Lambsfoot and a good beer!!!;):thumbsup:

qs2nw8.jpg

Cheers Jose, that's a cool pic (love the bottle-cap) :) :thumbsup:

I had a beer myself with lunch...and then I had another! :D :thumbsup:

RqctWEV.jpg

Great pic of your Big 'Un Dwight :thumbsup:

My work restrictions have taught me one thing...
I really prefer a smaller knife that I can slip into my watch pocket. The regular sized Lambsfoot fits pretty well in my Wrangler's watch pocket. It's a bit snug, but the shape of the handle makes it very comfortable to carry that way. I'm thinking the Small Lambsfoot would be my "ideal" knife for size and blade. I plan to find that out for sure some day soon.

The regular sized Lambsfoot is actually the biggest knife I have in my collection now. I've sold everything bigger because I just never carried them. I guess I'm just a small to medium sized knife guy at heart. I'm not really a collector of knives, more like I have a good amount of knives that I like to rotate through. So if they don't get carried, they end up getting sold or given away.

That was a wordy way of saying, "I like 3" to 3-5/8" knives". :D

That's very interesting John, for 90% of the stuff I do with a knife that size certainly suffices :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Index @Cambertree what a great resource.
I've spent the weekend sloooowly filing away at the kick and have the spring almost flush when closed... Close enough for it not to bother me and I know that if I keep going sods law will make sure the edge hits the spring!

We have Greg @WhittlinAway to thank for the index :) I think he's going to need some help updating it at some point! :eek: :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians! :D This was yesterdays mid day snack, poutine :thumbsup::p
View attachment 1105879

Very Canadian Dave :D :) :thumbsup:

Just a picture to show off the new watch I bought yesterday.
That'll teach my wife to take me to the jewelry store with her. :D

I think it's "Amazing"...

Very nice John :D :thumbsup: I have an Eco-Drive, in fact I bought them for all my kids when the first ones appeared :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! Love those large piano keys! :D

Thanks buddy :) :thumbsup:

Good Sunday morning to all you Guardians aboard the this 'steamer' of a thread! Ha 'food group' and 'comfort food' should add speed to this thread's movement. Hope you all enjoy the day and get ready for the week ahead. I'm taking Dutch out to run and play.
DSC_0272%5B1%5D.JPG

Have a great time Preston, fab pic :) :thumbsup:

It's a cool rainy Joe Bonamassa kind of Sunday...View attachment 1105909

Still a great pic Dwight :) :thumbsup:

Guardians, you're welcome to join me as I enter the Way-Back Machine and revisit some posts that caught my eye over a week ago. :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of my Lam Jack when it was new (October 2017):
View attachment 1105927

- GT

Thanks for stewarding us down Memory Lane GT, and it's nice to see your timeless Lam Jack :) :thumbsup:

Puns :D
Sounds like "stag" history is quite a rabbit hole, Jack; thanks for the overview. Thanks also for some details on your enjoyable birthday activities, including photos - great shot of your AC.
Recently (well, sometime in the past week or two) there was a story, quite positive, on the radio about Wensleydale cheese. Was that just hipster hype, or is Wensleydale cheese a favorite of typical Yorkshire residents? Have you ever sliced some with a lambsfoot? ;)

Good to see your ironwood out "walking the plank", Dennis! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

:D

Thanks for the verdant vista, David! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Yes, indeed! :D

I have no more snow piles in my back yard! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Another Lam Jack photo, this time playing with my rosewood Union Jack:
View attachment 1105932

- GT

I think Cheddar is the most popular GT, both in Yorkshire and nationally (the other bit ;) ) :) Wensleydale was always a cheese I enjoyed though, subtle, creamy, and crumbly. I think it was popularised more recently, by an animated series called Wallace & Grommit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_and_Gromit) :thumbsup: Thank you for your kind words, and for another pic :) :thumbsup:

I think you'll find more info in this thread than anywhere else :) Generally, they are inexpensive knives. Perhaps start off with a simple Rosewood-covered model by A.Wright & Son, then you can see if you like the pattern :) I'm afraid you'll have to research a vendor without the help of this thread though :thumbsup:

I think Cheddar is the most popular GT, both in Yorkshire and nationally (the other bit ;) ) :) Wensleydale was always a cheese I enjoyed though, subtle, creamy, and crumbly. I think it was popularised more recently, by an animated series called Wallace & Grommit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_and_Gromit) :thumbsup: Thank you for your kind words, and for another pic :) :thumbsup:
Cheddar may be the most popular internationally too. It's my favorite, especially the extra sharp. The Mexican restaurants around here usually use cheddar in the cheese enchiladas.
I also like Cheshire cheese, but haven't found it lately. Similar taste to Cheddar but more brittle.

This is what you're looking for my friend. A Rosewood is the grassroots Lambsfoot. :thumbsup:
LF Rosewood sml.JPG

Back