1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks, Dave; at least the name isn't Running Mouth! :D:D

- GT

2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I'm sure I speak for all of us, we are just happy when you have time to pop in. :cool:

3. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind remarks. The window-lit portrait of your Union and Lam Jacks is superb, shown with a spot on composition. Some real skill with the totem carving. Have you ever carved an Opinel? Finally, that red leaf in the image of the Lam Jack adds a nice touch.

4. Edgeoflife

Edgeoflife Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Im not a big traditional guy but i have enjoyed looking through the pictures and really like the blade shape and larger handle ive seen on some of these real lambsfoot pieces. I dont know anything about them other than what Ive read in this thread. Are these expensive knives? I imagine they are hard to find also but i would like to own one preferably in 3"+ blade length. Is there a particular year or model i could get into one as a beginner piece?

5. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Thanks GT. Unfortunately no Lambsfoot in my pocket today on my Monday. But I do have a sebenza :cool:...

Happy Sunday Y'all!!!

cigarrodog likes this.
  6. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    I can’t post non-BFs commercial sites, and @Jack Black would know best, but your best intro into the wonderful world of Lambsfoot patterned knives, would be a Rosewood. Based on your size requirement, I would go for the large. I can send you info on where to acquire.

My only other thought is that this thread welcomes you to explore, follow, and join in. The only caution is no other knives but Lambsfoot ones. Welcome.

7. Edgeoflife

Oct 11, 2018
    Yes please send me some info that would be great! Thank you! I did find a ck real lambs foot for sale just now possibly at a good price. Thats what the blade says anyway. Looks like a dark wood handle maybe. The tip looks a little more narrow compared to examples here so maybe its the sheepsfoot version? its from A seller in the UK on another site, i emailed him for more info. Its in a lot of a few knives from his collection . I also found a couple sheffield lambs foots from another uk seller that are brand new jig bone handles. Is there a difference in ck and sheffield brands? Forgive me if it may be basic questions but Im not sure what to look for exactly.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    cigarrodog likes this.
  8. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Good to see you here, Gary. Lovely photo of Lam Jack, and great post.

cigarrodog and dc50 like this.
  9. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    A Lazy Sunday Brunch...
    [​IMG]

10. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Good morning, Guardians!
    [​IMG]
    Have a quacking good Sunday!

11. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thank you my friend :) :thumbsup:

Cheers Jose, that's a cool pic (love the bottle-cap) :) :thumbsup:

I had a beer myself with lunch...and then I had another! :D :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Great pic of your Big 'Un Dwight :thumbsup:

That's very interesting John, for 90% of the stuff I do with a knife that size certainly suffices :) :thumbsup:

We have Greg @WhittlinAway to thank for the index :) I think he's going to need some help updating it at some point! :eek: :thumbsup:

Very Canadian Dave :D :) :thumbsup:

Very nice John :D :thumbsup: I have an Eco-Drive, in fact I bought them for all my kids when the first ones appeared :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy :) :thumbsup:

Have a great time Preston, fab pic :) :thumbsup:

Still a great pic Dwight :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for stewarding us down Memory Lane GT, and it's nice to see your timeless Lam Jack :) :thumbsup:

I think Cheddar is the most popular GT, both in Yorkshire and nationally (the other bit ;) ) :) Wensleydale was always a cheese I enjoyed though, subtle, creamy, and crumbly. I think it was popularised more recently, by an animated series called Wallace & Grommit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_and_Gromit) :thumbsup: Thank you for your kind words, and for another pic :) :thumbsup:

I think you'll find more info in this thread than anywhere else :) Generally, they are inexpensive knives. Perhaps start off with a simple Rosewood-covered model by A.Wright & Son, then you can see if you like the pattern :) I'm afraid you'll have to research a vendor without the help of this thread though :thumbsup:

12. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    He looks very interested in your Lamb.

13. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Truth :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

14. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Cheddar may be the most popular internationally too. It's my favorite, especially the extra sharp. The Mexican restaurants around here usually use cheddar in the cheese enchiladas.
    I also like Cheshire cheese, but haven't found it lately. Similar taste to Cheddar but more brittle.

15. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Thank you Jack! :thumbsup::D
    [​IMG]

16. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    He bit me when I tried to take it away!
    ;)

17. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Love that big Ebony, Jack and hope you enjoyed your pints.:thumbsup:
    The off topic portion of the index is growing by leaps and bounds these days!!:eek::)

Pile side Ironwood
    [​IMG]

18. Edgeoflife

Oct 11, 2018
    No doubt there is an overwhelming amount of info here but thats a good thing! Thank you everyone for all the helpful replys. I will go back through the thread and build my research up further and plan on picking up a large lamb foot very soon!

19. dc50

Aug 14, 2006
    Eggs, the most versatile food on the planet. :thumbsup::D

20. dc50

Aug 14, 2006
    This is what you're looking for my friend. A Rosewood is the grassroots Lambsfoot. :thumbsup:
    LF Rosewood sml.JPG