Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Received this pic from Wright's. Rosewood handled Lambsfoot with fluted bolster. They've actually ground the bolster rather than filing it. Done individually. I think it looks pretty good :thumbsup:

View attachment 767612
That's very nice looking. :thumbsup: I think I have a few with that type of bolster (2013 forum knife, for one) Is the filing done right where the pivot pin is? I've wondered if this would weaken the joint, though perhaps that's silly, given how many quite old knives like this I've seen that have no problems at all...

That's very nice looking. :thumbsup: I think I have a few with that type of bolster (2013 forum knife, for one) Is the filing done right where the pivot pin is? I've wondered if this would weaken the joint, though perhaps that's silly, given how many quite old knives like this I've seen that have no problems at all...

Thanks, I think so too :) Obviously I've not seen one in person yet, but comparing it to my other AW Lambsfoot knives, my guess would be that the pivot pin will be about here...

Pivotpin1.jpg

I have a great many old knives with bolsters similar to this, and sometimes the pin is right in the middle of the 'dip'. In the case of my Unity Lambsfoot, the fluting is almost down to the liners, but it seems like a very strong knife. Fluted bolsters were even used on British Army clasp knives during both WW1 and WW2, as well as the knives made in the US for Canadian forces in WW1, and they are built like tanks. Despite a lot of abuse, the blade on the Keen Kutter example below is solid as a rock, as are the blades on all the knives I have in this style. Not bad for a knife which is over 100 years old :) :thumbsup:

KK Gift Knife 2-1.jpg

It's funny how fancy bolsters of one sort or another were such a common feature of knives once, even ordinary working knives. I guess, as companies tried to cut their costs, to compete with competition from the Far East post WW2, they were an easy feature to omit. Or maybe they just went out of fashion? I'm not bothered about anything TOO fancy, but I like bolsters with features like this, and find it particularly novel to see them included on military knives :)

Forgive me, Jack especially, I have struggled to get back to grips with the forum and image hosting etc.

I am late to post my first entry, and application for membership to the Guardians, but I do so with a this beautiful and touching gift from my, our, good friend Mr Black:

IMG_20170905_170520401.jpg

What a truly wonderful and surprisingly sizeable pattern the Lambsfoot has proven to be.

It has seen MUCH pocket time, fondling and use since receiving.

Thank you again Old Bean!

Forgive me, Jack especially, I have struggled to get back to grips with the forum and image hosting etc.

I am late to post my first entry, and application for membership to the Guardians, but I do so with a this beautiful and touching gift from my, our, good friend Mr Black:

View attachment 767655

What a truly wonderful and surprisingly sizeable pattern the Lambsfoot has proven to be.

Very nice knife enjoy it I love mine.

Since the BF 'Groups' function is no longer an option, I'm setting up an email list. Some of you already know about this, and have given me your email address already, but I don't want to miss anyone. If you are an existing participant in this thread, and would like to be added to this list, please send me a PM with your email address. The only person who'll see your email address is me. I'll try to keep free space in my 'Conversations' inbox, but if it's full, please try again later. Sorry to be cryptic. If you are not an existing participant in this thread, I'll catch you next time. I'll be removing this post in a few days :thumbsup:

much obliged, replied my friend

I have a great many old knives with bolsters similar to this, and sometimes the pin is right in the middle of the 'dip'. In the case of my Unity Lambsfoot, the fluting is almost down to the liners, but it seems like a very strong knife. Fluted bolsters were even used on British Army clasp knives during both WW1 and WW2, as well as the knives made in the US for Canadian forces in WW1, and they are built like tanks. Despite a lot of abuse, the blade on the Keen Kutter example below is solid as a rock, as are the blades on all the knives I have in this style. Not bad for a knife which is over 100 years o
I'm sure there's enough material for a sturdy pivot, I was just curious. Maybe it's the influence of the modern, over-built mentality making me question it.

Received this pic from Wright's. Rosewood handled Lambsfoot with fluted bolster. They've actually ground the bolster rather than filing it. Done individually. I think it looks pretty good :thumbsup:

View attachment 767612

Those fluted bolsters look to be a real treat, Jack! Wonderful stuff! I have always admired that style of bolster on the older knives I have looked at, it is such a striking detail. I am looking forward to whatever else Wright's has up their sleeves.

View attachment 767655

Beautiful knife, scruffuk scruffuk ! Welcome!

View attachment 767655

I'm glad you're liking the Lambsfoot my friend, and it's good to see it here :) Welcome to the Guardians ;) :thumbsup:

much obliged, replied my friend

Just sent you a reply :) :thumbsup:

I'm sure there's enough material for a sturdy pivot, I was just curious. Maybe it's the influence of the modern, over-built mentality making me question it.

Yeah, for sure :) I have to say, a lot of the modern knives I've had haven't proved THAT sturdy! :D :thumbsup:

Those fluted bolsters look to be a real treat, Jack! Wonderful stuff! I have always admired that style of bolster on the older knives I have looked at, it is such a striking detail. I am looking forward to whatever else Wright's has up their sleeves.

I'm pleased with the job they've done so far Dylan :) Fingers crossed ;) :thumbsup:

Back