1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Morning folks, trying to catch up one page at a time ;) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Just the Lambsfoot here please Jose :thumbsup:

Thanks pal :thumbsup:

Nice crisp pic of RALF :) My Easter weekend was going great until I sat down to put my shoes on to go to the Royal Armouries, and my back went! :eek: :(

Lovely pic of your '19 John :thumbsup:

Great to have you back Rachel :) :thumbsup:

Candle-end ;) :thumbsup:

Weather sounds ropey Preston, it's been in the high 70's here! :) Sorry to hear about the gremlins too. Lovely Snakewood :thumbsup:

USA did well, took first place in the jousting, won the Sword of Honour, and one of the team got the vote for chivalry! :) More later :thumbsup:

It would have been a lot more fun if I hadn't been in agony with my back! :eek:

Fabulous Ron, too long since we saw that beauty :) :thumbsup:

:rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

The Canadians had French heritage! :D I will post pics :) :thumbsup:

2. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Anxious to see the pics.
    I'm sorry to hear of your back problems :oops: I'm very aware of how miserable and debilitating a bad back can be. I sincerely hope it is a brief episode.
    OG

mitch4ging, cigarrodog, dc50 and 3 others like this.
  3. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Great to see you here Mike :) Wow, congratulations on picking up those two interesting Lambsfoot patterns. There is a thread with some more info about the Sheldon Knife here, including a few posts by Mr Sheldon's grandson: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/two-unusual-sheffield-patterns.1483990/ That is a particularly fine Unity Lambsfoot too my friend, very nice indeed :) Thanks so much for the pics :thumbsup:

Awww...:)

Dutch has great taste :) :thumbsup:

Good-looking Damascus Taylor :thumbsup:

That's a roller-coaster of a post Mike, thank you for sharing it here. So sorry you've had such a tough year, but I'm glad things are better now with your health, and many congratulations to you and your wife on the birth of Rosie :) Thank you for those incredible Lambsfoot pics, I'm honoured that you're carrying one :) :thumbsup:

4. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Okay Jack, my apologies.

cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  5. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Superb AC pics guys :) :thumbsup:

Great to see you here GT, hope you're keeping well my friend, those are fine pics of your '19 :) :thumbsup:

Another stunner Mark :thumbsup:

Yay! All our old pals are turning up! Great to see you Greg, sorry to hear life has been so hectic for you. Nice to hear your Lambsfoot is helping out my friend, hope e'll be seeing more of you again soon :) :thumbsup:

Hope you get a nice one Justin :) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D It doesn't seem like two minutes since last year Rachel :) Glad you had a great visit :) :thumbsup:

I'll try and get some uploaded this morning OG, it was a pretty spectacular display. Bad timing for my back problems to recur, it's not been too bad the past few months too :( I hope it passes in a few days, thanks OG :thumbsup:

6. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    No worries Jose :thumbsup:

cigarrodog likes this.
  7. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    mitch4ging, Fodderwing and Jack Black like this.
  8. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Oops! Nearly for got to post a pic of lovely Lucy, who's with me today ;) Have a good week Guardians :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, TFBraden, pjsjr and 15 others like this.
  9. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Hello Gary, your Guardians 19 is great, especially from the pile side!!!;):thumbsup:

10. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    OK folks, I've uploaded some pics. Just a little background, there's been an Easter tournament at the Royal Armouries for more than 20 years now, it's a 4-day tournament, but I was only able to go to the final. The teams this year came from Britain, Poland, Canada, and the USA, and it's the first time the Canadian and US teams have taken part (probably a bit of a struggle going through the airport X-ray machine I imagine :eek:) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

The US knights are Jeff Sanders and Jeffrey Watson. I wondered if our fellow Guardian Dave @Horsewright might possibly know Jeff Sanders as he's a 6th generation professional horseman and vaquero, and still does some ranch work. Jeffrey is a professional armourer.

[​IMG]

Team Canada are Jessy Dufresne from Quebec and Jean-Francois Drapeau, who lives in Calgary! Small world @dc50, both seemed great guys :thumbsup:

The Polish team are Michal Ruda and Piotr Rydzewski.

Team UK are Andrew Dane, who works at the Royal Armouries, and at 54 is still carrying off most of the prizes, and Mike Collin, a stunt rider and actor with a bunch of TV and film credits.

Having hurt my back in the morning, I was determined to try and keep moving despite the pain, but was not prepared for the seating at the Royal Armouries tilt yard, low concrete benches, which were probably designed with school-children in mind, sitting down was absolute agony! While I was sat there immobilised by pain, the rest of the audience were entertained by limber jesters :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

The judges rode in, both very experienced in the field.

[​IMG]

Team Canada enter the arena.

[​IMG]

Followed by Team Poland.

[​IMG]

Team UK.

[​IMG]

Team USA.

[​IMG]

The teams are comprised of two knights, an outrider, and various pages.

[​IMG]

The first event was the melee, with the knights armed with wooden staves to clout each with, and a point scoring system for where blows were landed. We were in the Canadian corner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The horses are amazing, fearless, and incredibly agile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(More to come)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    peanutsxx, TFBraden, pjsjr and 13 others like this.
  11. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The riders seemed to be having the time of their lives too! :D

[​IMG]

Team UK won the melee, despite stiff competition from the Poles :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Another pic of Jeff Sanders.

[​IMG]

Jousting was next ;)

peanutsxx, TFBraden, pjsjr and 12 others like this.
  12. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    With two and half hours to go until the jousting, we went to have lunch at a pizza restaurant adjacent to the Armouries, and sat and watched as the queue (the line) began to grow, extending to several hundred yards long before we reluctantly joined it 45 minutes ahead of the 3.00pm start. The queue eventually snaked back behind us even further than it did in front. When we eventually got back in the arena, our seats were badly placed, and I was in even more pain than before, but I tried to get a few pics of the jousting (I would have stood up, but I couldn't actually move my legs at this point! And it wasn't allowed ;)) :thumbsup:

The knights ride in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The jousting was very exciting, the riders come in at full tilt, and head shots were allowed for the first time this year :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, TFBraden, pjsjr and 12 others like this.
  13. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How on earth did we end up playing cricket here?! :rolleyes:

peanutsxx, TFBraden, pjsjr and 16 others like this.
  14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Unfortunately, the pics I took of my Lambsfoot at the event were out of focus :( But I was accompanied in regal fashion ;) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, TFBraden, pjsjr and 14 others like this.
  15. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    The tournament over, spoils went to the victors ;) Each year the participants vote on whom amongst their number has been the most chivalrous. They chose Jeffrey Wasson from New York City :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

The US team also won the Sword of Honour (presented by a bloke from the Royal Armouries who couldn't be bothered to dress up :rolleyes:) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While Team UK galloped in to take the Queen's Golden Jubilee Horn (Andrew Deane has won it twice before, and the Sword of Honour seven times) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The knights ride out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, TFBraden, pjsjr and 16 others like this.
  16. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Plucky of you to keep snapping through pain, @Jack Black .
    The horsemanship requirement is another reason I wouldn't have made a good knight in shining armor. Nope, holy hermit-dom for me.
    I think the bloke from the armories deserves some credit for climbing up on that block and not holding on to anything.

17. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Jer, I know a lot of us suffer here, but when I sat down for the jousting, I thought I was going to pass out! :eek: Same here mate, 95% of what I know about horsemanship I learned from the emails Dave @Horsewright has sent me! :D :thumbsup:

18. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Thanks, Jack. :)

I'm glad we had a good showing.

I'm sorry to hear about the back acting up. Also, glad it didn't keep you from going and enjoying yourself.

19. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Jack, thanks for all those awesome pictures from the tournament. It was a real treat to read and I enjoyed it very much.

20. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thank you very much John, I'm grateful :) :thumbsup:

cigarrodog and dc50 like this.