Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good afternoon Guardians! :D There’s no if ands or but’s about it, this is a Real Lamb Foot! ;) Did I mention Stag? After all it is Saturday! :thumbsup: :eek:

37029672413_36330816d7_b_d.jpg

Nice Lambsfoot Ron :thumbsup:

Beautiful, Ron!:cool:
Happy Saturday to you and all the Guardians!
RydKhl4.jpg

Beautiful photo Mark :thumbsup:

In the meantime, here's a pic of a Sheffield-made Lambsfoot, if anyone can guess the date of manufacture to within a couple of decades, and explain why they've come to that conclusion, they win a prize :thumbsup:
ABJiRcd.jpg
I had time on my hands and did my best, knowing that I’m likely wrong, but it was great fun trying. The real reward was the expansion of my Sheffield Cutlery knowledge. For resources, I used the Guardians thread, Google, Sheffield History Forum, plus other knife related forums, and various Auction Sites. Each of these resources, led me to other resources. In the end, I take none of what I learned as gospel.

I’m no longer in school:), so here is my condensed conclusion: You originally acquired three Saynors, two of which were gifted.Very stiff openers, I might add.:) The Saynor name, has been in existence, approximately from 1865 to 1958. The Ltd. was added in 1910. My guess is your knife is between 1910 to 1930 or thereabouts. Like I said right or wrong, it was great fun:) Have a wonderful Sunday, Jack.

Last edited:
Just roaring along toward 1000 pages, it's hard to keep up with this thread, and the great knives showing up!! Looking at Lambfoot sizes lately, here is my smallest one - you can barely tell it's a lambfoot. the blade is stamped Ford & Medley, and the tang reads 177 Arundel St, Sheffield. The front handle is a somber grey horn, the pile side being darker horn. It has flush and square joints, and macho pulls and is just under 3 1/4' long, closer to 3 3/16".
Small Lamb 1.jpg Small Lamb 2.jpg Small Lamb 3.jpg Small Lamb 4.jpg
The new one from GEC will be huge by comparison, modelled after a JR it is due to be completed around the end of May or first of June.

Just roaring along toward 1000 pages, it's hard to keep up with this thread, and the great knives showing up!! Looking at Lambfoot sizes lately, here is my smallest one - you can barely tell it's a lambfoot. the blade is stamped Ford & Medley, and the tang reads 177 Arundel St, Sheffield. The front handle is a somber grey horn, the pile side being darker horn. It has flush and square joints, and macho pulls and is just under 3 1/4' long, closer to 3 3/16".
View attachment 1118747 View attachment 1118748 View attachment 1118749 View attachment 1118750
The new one from GEC will be huge by comparison, modelled after a JR it is due to be completed around the end of May or first of June.
That sure is a nice one. Your Lambsfoot will be stunning.

I had time on my hands and did my best, knowing that I’m likely wrong, but it was great fun trying. The real reward was the expansion of my Sheffield Cutlery knowledge. For resources I used the Guardians thread, Google, Sheffield History Forum, plus other knife related forums, and various Auction sites. Each of these resources, led me to other resources. In the end, I take none of what I learned as gospel.

I’m no longer in school:), so here is my condensed conclusion: You originally acquired three Saynors, two of which were gifted.Very stiff openers, I might add.:) The Saynor name, has been in existence, approximately from 1865 to 1958. The Ltd. was added in 1910. My guess is your knife is between 1910 to 1930 or thereabouts. Like I said right or wrong, it was great fun:) Have a wonderful Sunday, Jack.
Good work Harvey! I couldn't even figure out the lettering on tang stamp.:rolleyes::oops:

I had time on my hands and did my best, knowing that I’m likely wrong, but it was great fun trying. The real reward was the expansion of my Sheffield Cutlery knowledge. For resources, I used the Guardians thread, Google, Sheffield History Forum, plus other knife related forums, and various Auction Sites. Each of these resources, led me to other resources. In the end, I take none of what I learned as gospel.

I go with what was said in the first "entry post" by Harvey, because... - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...arncliffe-blades.1614419/page-4#post-18442232

Back