Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Nice flies, Barry. I have a fish story...years ago Hank Roberts, living in Boulder, CO tied flies. His reputation grew and he developed a strong business selling his flies and tackle. As a youngster I would go into the sporting goods store and stare longingly at his display, knowing if I could just afford to use his flies I could catch a lunker. As the years past, I was able to afford to fish his flies and as luck would have it I hooked a tremendously large Rainbow. I played that fish as best I could but the closer it got to shore the stronger it fought. About ten yards from the landing net it broke free, I was devastated! I thought that I had tied the fly on wrong and it came loose at the eye. Upon examining it, the hook had broke at the bend. Now I was devastated and furious. I wrote to Mr. Roberts, sent him the fly, stating how disappointed I was with his fly. He wrote back, saying how sorry he was that I had lost the fish, but, that this fly was not of his manufacture, he only Eagle Claw hooks and this was not one. He went on to tell me that merchants would purchase his displays and when the Hank Roberts flies were sold replace them with cheaply made ones and sell those instead of his. From that point on I have been very careful what and where I buy my flies.

A small consolation, Dave, but maybenastier weather will cause them to pay a heavy pe

As usual great information, with pictures, Jack, especially about the stag to be use on the Lambsfoot Barlows:D

Manna from heaven

Ahh, the bane of the digital existence!
My Grandfather taught me fly fishing, this is one of his bamboo rods. I refinished and re-wrapped it and another. I use it occasionally.
DSC_0306%5B1%5D.JPG

Blimey Preston, what a story! :( Very well told though :thumbsup:

Thank you :)

Great photo, I wish I had the split-cane rod my granddad gave me as a boy. My father 'borrowed' it, and not knowing how to cast with a cane rod, broke the top section. My grandfather, who had built many rods, managed to repair it, only for my father to do exactly the same thing again, but this time time he broke the middle section :(

Some of us old guys still use sheets of film—and carry a Lambsfoot.
7JJ4oO6.jpg

Fantastic pic my friend, what a beauty, and a great-looking Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

Preston, fly fishing must be a much more satisfying catch, than sitting in a boat, putting back a six-pack kind of fishing. :thumbsup::D

LOL! :D When I was a kid, I just wanted to catch big fish, and fished whenever I could throughout the year. Sadly, I have not fished for years, but when I look back, it was not the fish that I missed so much, as the peace and quiet of the river-bank, and everything else that comes with fishing, including sitting in a boat with a six-pack :) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D When I was a kid, I just wanted to catch big fish, and fished whenever I could throughout the year. Sadly, I have not fished for years, but when I look back, it was not the fish that I missed so much, as the peace and quiet of the river-bank, and everything else that comes with fishing, including sitting in a boat with a six-pack :) :thumbsup:
fmeme4.jpg

A fantastic photo of your Ironwood Mark.:thumbsup::cool:
Thanks, Dave! Appreciate it very much, my friend. I think of you often and feel for you having to pack up and move. The longer you have been there, the harder it is.

Thanks Dave

Thanks Jack. The barlow! The barlow! The barlow! The barlow! ........... Sorry. Just got excited........... :D

Gorgeous iron streaks and photo Mark.
Thanks, Dwight! I am as excited as you about the new hints of Stag Barlows floating about!!:D

I'm hoping so Mark, going to be all steel construction - except for the stag of course! :D

That's another lovely pic of your '19 :thumbsup:

I just take the memory card out of mine, and put it into a card reader in the USB port :thumbsup: Then I ride a trojan horse through a worm-hole in the backdoor! :D :thumbsup:

I'm amazed at the i-Phone pics we see here :thumbsup:
All steel construction= perfect! Thanks very much for the compliments, sir!:thumbsup: I want to express my gratitude for your response to every post. Really makes everyone feel included and quite a feat, I might add, in this fast moving thread. I am not sure how you do it, but, thank you.:)

I've had my heart in my mouth for months about this one :)
I am confident it will be fantastic. Nothing to worry about, my friend.:)

First stop on our walk down town. Our favorite lunch spot! Passion Fruit Sour by Breakside.View attachment 1119026

Oh my gosh Taylor, that looks delicious!! 2 really great knives, as well.:thumbsup: You're a lucky guy!

A magnificent, mighty oak! Good work, looks great.

Right, add a transponder chip and it's a worry free knife.:D

Scramble those in with a few eggs and it could be.:p

Nice flies, Barry. I have a fish story...years ago Hank Roberts, living in Boulder, CO tied flies. His reputation grew and he developed a strong business selling his flies and tackle. As a youngster I would go into the sporting goods store and stare longingly at his display, knowing if I could just afford to use his flies I could catch a lunker. As the years past, I was able to afford to fish his flies and as luck would have it I hooked a tremendously large Rainbow. I played that fish as best I could but the closer it got to shore the stronger it fought. About ten yards from the landing net it broke free, I was devastated! I thought that I had tied the fly on wrong and it came loose at the eye. Upon examining it, the hook had broke at the bend. Now I was devastated and furious. I wrote to Mr. Roberts, sent him the fly, stating how disappointed I was with his fly. He wrote back, saying how sorry he was that I had lost the fish, but, that this fly was not of his manufacture, he only Eagle Claw hooks and this was not one. He went on to tell me that merchants would purchase his displays and when the Hank Roberts flies were sold replace them with cheaply made ones and sell those instead of his. From that point on I have been very careful what and where I buy my flies.

A small consolation, Dave, but maybenastier weather will cause them to pay a heavy pe

As usual great information, with pictures, Jack, especially about the stag to be use on the Lambsfoot Barlows:D

Manna from heaven

Ahh, the bane of the digital existence!
My Grandfather taught me fly fishing, this is one of his bamboo rods. I refinished and re-wrapped it and another. I use it occasionally.
DSC_0306%5B1%5D.JPG
Beautiful knife and the fly rod is a treasure, Preston!:cool:

7JJ4oO6.jpg
Sheets??:eek: Great knife and cool photo, Dave!

JohnDF JohnDF Magnificent Oak tree, John. I can see why you are very proud of it!:thumbsup:

@gunstockjack Really great photos you have put up the last few days, Barry! Thanks for sharing them here.:cool:

For at least a couple of decades now, the Indian government has had an export ban in place on Sambar stag. This hit the Sheffield cutlers particularly hard, since it was unexpected, and the small remaining firms didn't keep stocks, as firms like Joseph Rodgers did in the past.

6Sp1OZY.jpg

Also, British stag is much less dense than Sambar stag with less character.

SpoTKms.jpg

They were forced to use very poor stag, seek alternatives, such as camel-bone, or abandon using stag altogether. Wright's stag was generally quite characterless, but they then managed to source some Pere David stag, which was a good deal better, and get it in decent quantities.

afo226K.jpg

They also managed to secure a smaller quantity of vintage Sambar, which had been cut for steak knife handles, which I used for the Ashley's Choice knives, and for some of the recent Damascus ones. It will also be used on the forthcoming Lambsfoot Barlows :thumbsup:

1tMr5yR.jpg
Jack, thanks for this very informative post! :thumbsup: :)

Blimey Preston, what a story! :( Very well told though :thumbsup:

Thank you :)

Great photo, I wish I had the split-cane rod my granddad gave me as a boy. My father 'borrowed' it, and not knowing how to cast with a cane rod, broke the top section. My grandfather, who had built many rods, managed to repair it, only for my father to do exactly the same thing again, but this time time he broke the middle section :(

Fantastic pic my friend, what a beauty, and a great-looking Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack, fishing is so great, it has something for everyone. The fly shops around the Denver metro area have been giving classes for years. With the population exploding and so many people wanting to fish they have resorted to making it a big deal to catch carp on flies. The South Platte flows through a good portion of the metro area and there are groups being 'guided' along the river's banks casting for carp. I smile and remember the old story of how to fix carp...take a white pine board, put carp and spices/onion/butter/wine on board. Bake for twenty minutes or until done. Throw away the carp and eat the board.:eek::D:eek:

Great story Preston. Super cool that you have those rods.

7JJ4oO6.jpg
WOW that is sweet.

I want to express my gratitude for your response to every post. Really makes everyone feel included and quite a feat, I might add, in this fast moving thread. I am not sure how you do it, but, thank you.
x2 Jack Black Jack Black

fly fishing must be a much more satisfying catch, than sitting in a boat, putting back a six-pack kind of fishing.;) :thumbsup::D
I liken it to hunting for fish. It's more active and you have to be stealthy.

My heart just sank...

Well said. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Some of my best memories are fly fishing on the Gunison River in Colorado. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:
The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is famous, hard to get to and fish effectively. Big trout!
Here are the two rods, his creel and Rosie. We would grab hand fulls of grass at the river's edge and put it and the trout in the creel. Kept the trout cool all day...I can still smell that smell:thumbsup:
DSC_0307%5B1%5D.JPG

Being insanely behind on this thread, I read a few pages to catch up and come to the most current. But there’s nearly a month I missed.

These two Lambsfoot knives are two of my main daily carries. I saw that post with the old Graflex and I had to participate.

E0230x6.jpg

Hope everyone is doing well lately. I hope to be caught up (relatively) soon.

Joe

The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is famous, hard to get to and fish effectively. Big trout!
Here are the two rods, his creel and Rosie. We would grab hand fulls of grass at the river's edge and put it and the trout in the creel. Kept the trout cool all day...I can still smell that smell:thumbsup:
DSC_0307%5B1%5D.JPG
Great picture. If you don't mind, I'd like to use it as my desktop wallpaper for a while. :cool:

Great picture. If you don't mind, I'd like to use it as my desktop wallpaper for a while. :cool:
Being insanely behind on this thread, I read a few pages to catch up and come to the most current. But there’s nearly a month I missed.

These two Lambsfoot knives are two of my main daily carries. I saw that post with the old Graflex and I had to participate.

E0230x6.jpg

Hope everyone is doing well lately. I hope to be caught up (relatively) soon.

Joe
Nothing but good there. That M5 must be fun to play with.:thumbsup:

Back