Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

LOL! :D I knew a guy years ago who hooked his wife in the ear while casting! :eek: :D That's a great pic mate :thumbsup:
I guess he could joke that she is quite the catch. :D

I suspect that I will be at work when we hit page 1000. I'm tellin' ya, this work thing is getting in the way of all the really important stuff!:D
40761482383_fbd1b72927_h.jpg

View attachment 1119442 View attachment 1119441 View attachment 1119443 View attachment 1119440

I thought this would make for some interesting Lambsfoot content. This John Lloyd knife is the most faithful representation of a traditional Lambsfoot made by a custom knife maker that I have seen. In fact, it closely resembles the one that Charlie @waynorth is having made by GEC. I am not the owner, (wish I was), but the photos were posted with his permission. The sunset over Lake Pontchartrain is mine!

Last edited:
View attachment 1119442 View attachment 1119441 View attachment 1119443 View attachment 1119440

I thought this would make for some interesting Lambsfoot content. This John Lloyd knife is the most faithful representation of a traditional Lambsfoot made by a custom knife maker that I have seen. In fact, it closely resembles the one that Charlie @waynorth is having made by GEC. I am not the owner, (wish I was), but the photos were posted with his permission. The sunset over Lake Pontchartrain is mine!
That’s a beauty for sure.:thumbsup:

I was wondering something. On some of the knives you folks show here, "Real Lambs Foot" is on the blade. On others, it is not. Was this done only by some companies, or only during certain years? Thanks.
Larry

Sorry Larry, I lost your quote earlier, having a few problems with that lately :rolleyes: It was very widespread at one time, more Lambsfoot knives had that mark (or similar) than not. It was generally a deep stamp rather than an etch or engraving though, and the blades would have been hand-forged too. Then they started using machines like this, which engraved the blades, and could handle multiple blades at a time.

X1DWc39.jpg

It's a pantograph machine, they would have been widespread at one time in Sheffield, but are now very rare. Wright's actually have three of them, all quite different, with this one, the largest used on our knives. It's getting on for 100 years old.

vKHy8oc.jpg

LwPRUII.jpg

Before the 2017 Guardian's knives, they had stopped using the machine, as the small copper 'nibs' wear out, and they haven't been made for decades. I'd love to see a return to using a deep stamp, but it's pretty problematic. I live in hope though :thumbsup:

G9pD9D5.jpg

d6utYO6.jpg

zgtBrIL.jpg

QDLPX7e.jpg

Now Larry, one of your responsibilities as a Guardian is to go to page 1, and to start reading :thumbsup: ;)

But you can also use the index :thumbsup:

I don't think there's a discernible pattern. Changing fashions? Passing whims?

Thanks for replying to Larry's post Jer, without seeing your post I wouldn't have realised I'd missed it :thumbsup:

Hopefully, page 1000 will be 20 posts of Lambfoot photos! Wouldn't that be cool?!
Hope you had a great weekend, Jack and all the Guardians. Here's to hoping Friday rolls around asap.
ds9A99B.jpg

Wouldn't that be great Mark, how about that fellers, a Lambsfoot pic in every post? :)

Thank you my friend, that's a beautiful photo :thumbsup:

Thank you very much :)

Oh ya, the patina builds up quickly... and then I Flitz it off ;)

I don't really know. The price of bamboo rods has always kept me from investigating them.

That's the way of the world.
Years ago, cheap cars had black trim and black wheels, while the expensive cars had lots of chrome. Nowadays, it's the other way around.

Yes, times and fashions change John :) There must have been a time when folks preferred the new-fangled plastics to MOP and jigged bone :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
Seems you get sharp focus knives and blurry backgrounds, or in this case... the other way around :D

Yeah, my camera often decides it knows better than me too! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Great pic JP, good to see you here my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack.

@Prester John and Ramrodmb Ramrodmb lovely lamb compositions guys.

Have a great week Guardians.
View attachment 1119432

You too Vince, another great pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

I can believe that when you are hungry, and have no money you would eat almost anything to ease the pain.

Being an old fart and a pack rat, I have many old things! I have tried over the years to cull the belongings and now have just what I deem personally needed and cherished. That creel is one of the cherished:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great hat to have, especially with those two Lambsfoot...they would definitely be in the Orvis realm of things.

That would be great, maybe we all can make that happen. Nice detailed photo of your '19 Guardian's Lambsfoot, Mark.

John, I think it depends on the focus setting of your camera. Most have a square or series of lines and dots in the foregound...like a scope's reticle, that you can manipulate by moving the camera to get the closer object in focus or a distant one. On my iPhone I can just touch where I want the focus to be...on my DSLR not so easy, haven't really figured it out. Maybe someone with more knowledge of photography can explain it to us.

Great detail in that photo JP:thumbsup:

Monday morning and on our way to 1000 pages...should be a cakewalk!
I have always loved fishing and fished to catch fish. Different times of the year and in different areas certain methods work better than others so Im prepared to 'tackle' whatever Mother Nature throws at me. Spinning gear has yielded fish when flies failed.
DSC_0250.JPG

DSC_0252.JPG

For sure Preston :thumbsup: I keep meaning to change the way my camera focuses, but for that I'd have to read the instructions :rolleyes: Hey, I think I might have had that very same reel, cool pics Preston :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! RALF and I had some Formosa Oolong this morning from my dragon pot.

HES4hMC.jpg

Cool stuff Jeff :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, that worked sooooo much better :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Much nicer :) Well done to both you and Preston :) :thumbsup:

You're welcome, glad to have helped.:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I guess he could joke that she is quite the catch. :D

I suspect that I will be at work when we hit page 1000. I'm tellin' ya, this work thing is getting in the way of all the really important stuff!:D
40761482383_fbd1b72927_h.jpg

LOL! :D Well, I doubt she went fishing with him again at least! :D They should declare an International Holiday! :D Great pic Kevin :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians!

3Zl0ZHx.jpg

Looking good Barry :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Great-looking knife Leslie (and a great pic of your own) :) If I remember correctly, John made a few posts here prior to making his first Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

Good morning, folks.

I am starting to get settled in with some coffee and such after my vacation. Back to the grind, as they say... I have a LOT of catching up to do and am not so certain that I will be successful as I have to balance that with getting caught up on work stuff that accumulated during my absence as well.

Pàdruig Pàdruig Beautiful Image, Dylan.

Great to see you here Dylan, sounds like you have been 'gainfully employed' :) Beautiful photo of your '17 my friend :) :thumbsup:

Beautiful shot Dylan. Good grief that horn is amazing!

Thank you, fellas. One of the hallmarks of the 2017 special horn is that every one of them is different from the other.

img_1778-jpeg.1119432

A terrific capture of that Damascus, Dwight!

I am pretty certain that is my knife there in the center, getting its etch. How cool is that?

Well, I decided that since spring is fully upon us, the leaves are returning in force and the world is full of color, why not add a bit of my own?

NUmucSK.jpg

Beautiful Ironwood Mark. :thumbsup::cool:
View attachment 1119000
Thanks, Dave! Great looking stag!:thumbsup:

Thank you Preston.

Thank you Harvey.

Beautiful shot Dylan. Good grief that horn is amazing!

Thank you Jack.

@Prester John and Ramrodmb Ramrodmb lovely lamb compositions guys.

View attachment 1119432
Thanks, Dwight. Great shot there!

I can believe that when you are hungry, and have no money you would eat almost anything to ease the pain.

Being an old fart and a pack rat, I have many old things! I have tried over the years to cull the belongings and now have just what I deem personally needed and cherished. That creel is one of the cherished:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great hat to have, especially with those two Lambsfoot...they would definitely be in the Orvis realm of things.

That would be great, maybe we all can make that happen. Nice detailed photo of your '19 Guardian's Lambsfoot, Mark.

John, I think it depends on the focus setting of your camera. Most have a square or series of lines and dots in the foregound...like a scope's reticle, that you can manipulate by moving the camera to get the closer object in focus or a distant one. On my iPhone I can just touch where I want the focus to be...on my DSLR not so easy, haven't really figured it out. Maybe someone with more knowledge of photography can explain it to us.

Great detail in that photo JP:thumbsup:

Monday morning and on our way to 1000 pages...should be a cakewalk!
I have always loved fishing and fished to catch fish. Different times of the year and in different areas certain methods work better than others so Im prepared to 'tackle' whatever Mother Nature throws at me. Spinning gear has yielded fish when flies failed.
DSC_0250.JPG

DSC_0252.JPG
:thumbsup: Love the fishing gear and tackle, Preston.

Sorry Larry, I lost your quote earlier, having a few problems with that lately :rolleyes: It was very widespread at one time, more Lambsfoot knives had that mark (or similar) than not. It was generally a deep stamp rather than an etch or engraving though, and the blades would have been hand-forged too. Then they started using machines like this, which engraved the blades, and could handle multiple blades at a time.

X1DWc39.jpg

It's a pantograph machine, they would have been widespread at one time in Sheffield, but are now very rare. Wright's actually have three of them, all quite different, with this one, the largest used on our knives. It's getting on for 100 years old.

vKHy8oc.jpg

LwPRUII.jpg

Before the 2017 Guardian's knives, they had stopped using the machine, as the small copper 'nibs' where out, and they haven't been made for decades. I'd love to see a return to using a deep stamp, but it's pretty problematic. I live in hope though :thumbsup:

G9pD9D5.jpg

d6utYO6.jpg

zgtBrIL.jpg

QDLPX7e.jpg

Now Larry, one of your responsibilities as a Guardian is to go to page 1, and to start reading :thumbsup: ;)

But you can also use the index :thumbsup:

Thanks for replying to Larry's post Jer, without seeing your post I wouldn't have realised I'd missed it :thumbsup:

Wouldn't that be great Mark, how about that fellers, a Lambsfoot pic in every post? :)

Thank you my friend, that's a beautiful photo :thumbsup:

Yes, times and fashions change John :) There must have been a time when folks preferred the new-fangled plastics to MOP and jigged bone :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Yeah, my camera often decides it knows better than me too! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Great pic JP, good to see you here my friend :) :thumbsup:

You too Vince, another great pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

For sure Preston :thumbsup: I keep meaning to change the way my camera focuses, but for that I'd have to read the instructions :rolleyes: Hey, I think I might have had that very same reel, cool pics Preston :) :thumbsup:

Cool stuff Jeff :) :thumbsup:

Much nicer :) Well done to both you and Preston :) :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

LOL! :D Well, I doubt she went fishing with him again at least! :D They should declare an International Holiday! :D Great pic Kevin :) :thumbsup:

Looking good Barry :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. Great to see and learn about the pantograph machine. Lots of moving parts in that!

That's a beautiful photo Dave :) :thumbsup:

R9hXkjo.jpg
Great pics, Dave and Jack! The old feller's beard looks like wool!;)

I am very fortunate to have some fishing gear and tackle from both my Grandpa and my wife's Grandpa. I will try to get some of it out for a pic. Here's an old metal baitcasting setup of my Grandad's, that was handy.
zOlsAmH.jpg

lQ6jTEz.jpg

Thanks Preston; I hope Jack can give us a better date on it's construction, but maybe it is a 'lunchbox' knife. o_O

Seeing all of this old fishing gear is tough! You guys know it's fishing season here and I'm laid up and can't get out! Well, I can get out maybe, but cant lift the boat outa the truck yet, and there are no rivers on the Kitsap Penninsula, so we have to fly fish the sound for coho salmon in the summer, and FF the lakes for trout. Over the bridge across Hood' Canal and on to the Olympic Penninsula is steelhead and salmon country where there are lots of rivers including the Hoh, Sol Duc, Bogachiel, and many more. Barnstorming river banks was a favorite pastime when I was younger, but my back can't take casting from shore all day anymore. A big steelhead is an incredible thing at the end of your line, I can tell you! Not only the power of the fish, but also of the river. :cool:

B5ZBMxr.jpg

Last edited:
Back