Guardless Warthog Pre-Order Work in Progress

I hear you and mean no disrespect, but:
(Very) good things come to those that wait :)

Hope everyone enjoys the holidays in the company of family and friends, with good food and good drink :)

I’m not in a hurry, no worries. I still mean what I said in post #20 in this thread. Honestly, Chris could take another month or two and it won’t matter to me. I’ve enjoyed his previous to WIP posts in this thread, so I’m just fishing to see if he took any new pics these last 7 days.

Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool any cool pics
from this last week? :)

I did takes some pictures throughout the week last week!

I hear you and mean no disrespect, but:
(Very) good things come to those that wait :)

Hope everyone enjoys the holidays in the company of family and friends, with good food and good drink :)

I’m not in a hurry, no worries. I still mean what I said in post #20 in this thread. Honestly, Chris could take another month or two and it won’t matter to me. I’ve enjoyed his previous to WIP posts in this thread, so I’m just fishing to see if he took any new pics these last 7 days.

Apologies for the late reply, I have been in my own little world the last few days, I appreciate you guys patience!

Working on an update now!

Here is where we are at on the pre-order. All the blades are ready for handles and most of the handle material is cut and ready for lamination.

Below are some photos and descriptions showing the knives in some of the various stages.

Hammer textured and Turco applied ready for heat treat, never mind those two on the right in the top picture. I will revisit these later in another thread.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Fresh out of the oven!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

With the flats cleaned up!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

And in this picture they have there pre glue-up grind on them which is basically a rough finish grind.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Last but not least the tangs have been sandblasted ready for handles, in the very last picture I have most of the handle material cut into scales tomorrow I will finish cutting the remainder and them laminating the handle materials.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Everything is going pretty smoothly, admittedly a lot slower than I had anticipated and would have liked things to go. I made a mistake in my judgement of how long it would take to finish these knives by not taking into account the change in shop location, and trying to find balance again with the new environment and tools. It has been like moving into a new house or office, everything feels awkward and you have to get use to where things are or aren't. I am getting there though, I just needed to cut out everything for a few days that did not pertain to these knives and worked through the little workflow bumps that came up.

I appreciate everyone's patience and I apologize for the delay in the knives. I hope you all had a Merry Christmas! I hope to have the handles on the blades by this weekend so the next time I do an update you will probably be able to discern which one is yours.

More to come in a few days....

Last edited:
I spend far too many hours in front of a computer, so being able to follow along as someone actually makes something *real* is a very special treat - and also fills me with a measure of envy.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Last edited:
I spend far too many hours in front of a computer, so being able to follow along as someone actually makes something *real* is a very special treat - and also fills me with a measure of envy.

Thanks so much for sharing!

You are welcome!

Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool
Thanks for the update Chris! It's awesome to see the process from step to step and how uniform all 12 Blades are throughout the process. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning waiting to see what's next:D:D. Hope you and your family had a Merry Christmas as well:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you! I hope you and your Family had a good Merry Christmas too!

Looking good. Probably real fun for folks to follow along as their knives are being built.

Hope you had a great holiday(s) Chris

Thanks Danny, I had a good Christmas I hope yours was good as well.

Happy Birthday Chris!

Chris's birthday today?? Happy Birthday!!!

Had no idea...

Happy Birthday, Chris!!

Hope 2018 is a superb year for you and yours!

Happy Birthday Chris!! Hope you have a great one

Happy Birthday!!!

Thank you everyone for the Happy Birthdays! I really appreciate it.

I had to improvise for a handle scale lamination table, when I am done I will take the plywood and stick it back in the corner, the vinegar bottle is just there to ass weight to the center of the platform.

I could only glue up 10 sets of handles at a time at the end of the day over two days I would glue down 10 sets and in the morning pull them up and clean them up on the grinder.

In the next series of Photos they have been glued up

More to follow......

In these next series of photos the handles have been rough shaped and are ready for hand filing.
Tomorrow I will hand file all of the Handles and Sunday clean up the spines, hand sanding next week. I hope to have these finished up by the end of next week if all goes to plan.

Back