guided sharpener

Edge pro, KME or, vector.

Gritomatic has these three guided systems and I can never seem to decide which one is best for me to get. I do need to have diamonds and mostly will sharpen folders.

There are folks who do great work with any number of tools. And there are even MORE folks who use those exact same tools to do crappy work. I use an Edge Pro Professional, and am quite happy with it. I prefer it over a clamped system, and it allows me to maintain good accuracy. It's not cheap, and my pile of stones is probably more expensive than the Edge Pro itself. The learning curve for the tool itself is pretty quick, but the road to learning about sharpening is never-ending.

knife.jpg

What is your budget like,the reason I ask is because if you go with a table system you have to switch hands when you flip the blade over where as a clamp based system you don't.

I would go with a Wicked Edge for sure unless you like crappy stone selection and paying double for stones as you have to buy them in set's as well.

I have had the KME and the problem is the stones are short and you wouldn't think 2 inch's more would make much of a difference but it does for sure and that's why I like edge pro format stones,the rubber pads on the jaws just love to come off of the KME as well.

I would go with a TSProf Outdoorsman kit and a Wixey angle cube off amazon and get the a set of Venev stones later,an also buy the reinforced spring right away for the single and double clamp's.

I did a review of the Vector and it's an ok system but the one big problem with it is the part's of the guide rod that hold the stone bump into the edge of the knife if your sharpening at lower angle's.

A really good system that isn't as well known is the Mad Edge and it's not real costly either just look them up on facebook.

Last edited:
I have the Hapstone M2 sharpener and like it a lot. It is sold out right now but is in your price range. Also keep an eye out in the for sale section here. All sorts of equipment come up sporadically.

Is the wicked edge Go any good, are the diamond stones only available through wicked edge?

A lot of people love it, but I have no experience with it. I have a WE130. I see some talking on the WE forum about Shapton Pro stones that are whetstones made for the WE, and are taller than WE stones to help sharpen knives closer to the ricasso. I have never used them myself.
You can search the forums and watch youtube videos and see what's available. People say that WE stones are expensive but you are actually getting 2 sets of stones when you buy 2 of their stones. USA made quality is not cheap. If it was then why would anyone buy from another country?

I’m in the 200$ range if at all possible.

I would get the Mad Edge it's around the 148 mark I think,also with the Wicked Edge the stone selection will be your biggest problem and also it has limit's as far as how low of an angle you can sharpen at when compared to other guided system's.

I go with the Mad Edge and get a full set of Venev stone in 100% concentration and if you can swing both at the same time get the sharpener to start.

You can get a low angle adapter for the Wicked Edge for more acute angles. There is also a Tormek blade holder that you can get and use for real acute angles for Japanese cutlery and stuff. I don't sharpen blades like that and don't know a lot about it, but you can research it if you wish. You may also need some 12" guide rods as well.

I would get the Mad Edge it's around the 148 mark I think,also with the Wicked Edge the stone selection will be your biggest problem and also it has limit's as far as how low of an angle you can sharpen at when compared to other guided system's.

I go with the Mad Edge and get a full set of Venev stone in 100% concentration and if you can swing both at the same time get the sharpener to start.
Do you know if the Mad Edge will use Edge Pro stones? Their web site doesn't say it does, so I assume it does not.

The will use edge pro stones,you may also want to look at the Hapstone sharpeners as well they have at gritomatic priced about the same or a bit more then the Mad Edge and you'll have an easier time getting part's if you need them,the Hapstone system's are also modular now so you can switch from a clamp to a table with their system's now.

I have owned and used both the Edge-Pro Professional and the Wicked edge. Both are truly excellent.

I prefer the Edge-Pro, but that's just me. Either will serve you well.

I’ve evolved to using a Sharpmaker and a Wicked Edge. The Sharpmaker is for maintenance. The WE for reprofiling.

There are folks who do great work with any number of tools. And there are even MORE folks who use those exact same tools to do crappy work. I use an Edge Pro Professional, and am quite happy with it. I prefer it over a clamped system, and it allows me to maintain good accuracy. It's not cheap, and my pile of stones is probably more expensive than the Edge Pro itself. The learning curve for the tool itself is pretty quick, but the road to learning about sharpening is never-ending.

knife.jpg
Agree 100% with your comments. Having an EP or other tool doesn't mean learning about edges isn't helpful. The EP will get you creating good edges much sooner than starting with bench stones. A great edge, like the one you're showing, takes a practice and knowledge.

And no probably for me, I'm way over the cost of the EP with my stones.

Last edited:
I only have experience with the edge pro. My 2 cents would be there is a learning curve. I wouldn't even think about getting new stones until after you figure it all out. And don't soak the stones in water; a quick dip or a squirt on top is enough. Wipe down and rewet the stone as needed. Prolonged soaking makes them brittle.

Back