guided sharpener

Have any of you ever sharpened a knife on a 2X72 Burr King??

I had the opportunity to try it once a a colleague's machine and it was a truly incredible experience. A well dulled fixed blade of S90V was brought to "scary" sharp and mirror polish in about ten minutes. And most of that time was used up in changing the linen belts.
:thumbsup::):):thumbsup:

TSProf K02 or K03 are what I suggest. A cheaper option is wicked edge
They might want to look at the TSProf Blitz 360 Kit for less money. Works fine for pocket knives and fixed blades up to 7 inches in length. Comes with diamond plates instead of SiC stones. Visit www.statesllc.com for more info and to order.

Have any of you ever sharpened a knife on a 2X72 Burr King??

I had the opportunity to try it once a a colleague's machine and it was a truly incredible experience. A well dulled fixed blade of S90V was brought to "scary" sharp and mirror polish in about ten minutes. And most of that time was used up in changing the linen belts.
:thumbsup::):):thumbsup:

Did it the Burr King use a wet platen? If you sharpened the knife dry you may have ruined the heat treat.

Did it the Burr King use a wet platen? If you sharpened the knife dry you may have ruined the heat treat.

Under the owner's supervision, the sweeps across the belt were fairly quick, and the blade was dipped in water after each pass.

According to my colleague, temperature control is the main reason he uses treated linen belts instead of sandpaper belts.

Under the owner's supervision, the sweeps across the belt were fairly quick, and the blade was dipped in water after each pass.

According to my colleague, temperature control is the main reason he uses treated linen belts instead of sandpaper belts.

I just don't trust that dunking a blade in water between passes on a belt is going to keep the tiny amount of steel at the apex safe from overheating. Maybe I'm wrong.

Or perhaps you're correct.

At any rate, it seems to work well for my colleague that owns the Burr King. Of course he has considerable experience with the machine and that alone could very well make a difference.

Or perhaps you're correct.

At any rate, it seems to work well for my colleague that owns the Burr King. Of course he has considerable experience with the machine and that alone could very well make a difference.

You would just have to test the edges to see how well they last cutting. If the edges are losing their heat treat then they would dull quicker and roll the edges more. When I hear or read about someone saying that the PM steels are not very good, the question always pops up in the back of my mind wondering how the blade was sharpened and what was used to sharpen it.

Anyone who has the Mad Edge... how long did it take to get here from Ukraine? I ordered one a month ago, and it's still not here. I have tracking info, but either it's stuck in Customs, or the tracking info is bogus...

Anyone who has the Mad Edge... how long did it take to get here from Ukraine? I ordered one a month ago, and it's still not here. I have tracking info, but either it's stuck in Customs, or the tracking info is bogus...

From Russia and the Ukraine shipping is 2 weeks most times.

Back