Off Topic Guilty Pleasure: Curse of Oak Island

PeteyTwoPointOne

Platinum Member
I don't have any regular serialized shows I watch on the boobtoob.

I watch the Tennessee Titans and the Nashville Predators pretty religiously, however.

But I've watched every episode of The Curse of Oak Island. I'm hopelessly addicted. :confused:

Just like the Lagina bros, I grew up reading stories and legends that surround the island and the treasure supposedly buried there. If I had the means that they do, it could TOTALLY be me up there conducting the same excavations and search. Treasure hunt stories, fiction & non-fiction, will always be among my favorite diversions.

Anyways, I rely pretty heavily on you HOG's opinions/advice on things....

so whaddya think o_O ...

1. Do you believe that there is truly a horde of gold, silver, jewels, coins, etc. hidden on Oak Island?

2. Do you think the show is legit? Meaning, does anyone-- besides the foolish rubes like me who watch every week:rolleyes:-- truly believe there's real treasure buried there?

3. Do you think the artifacts they've found already are really "found" in a legit manner? I sometimes feel like I'm watching an episode of Pawn Stars or Storage Wars. I mean, I know they have to edit out all the boring stuff, but it still feels like some of that stuff gets planted.

So post up your ideas, and please don't limit yourself to riffing on the 3 topics I've posted above...just like a real treasure hunt, let your posts go where your evidence, hunches, and imagination lead ya! Have fun! :)

Right there with you on the addiction to the show, and like you I’d read about it years before I saw the show and sort of got hooked way back then.

I’m not sure how I feel about any of the questions you asked. There is so much compelling “evidence” to support something there. But the cynic in me makes me think it might have all either been faked way back then by those who would defraud investors on treasure hunts, or today by the history channel.

One thing is for sure though - Gary Drayton rekindled me interest in metal detecting which at this point is like a drug to me!

I know my Dad watches that show regularly and enjoys it. For believing I myself and my Dad believe it’s out there. I also think as time goes on, one must look much harder. I kinda look at it this way. When I was growing up, I found muscle cars everywhere !! Now “barn finds” still exist/happen but their few and far between. So many have been found over the years.
Now if I hit a powerball oh I’d be one to go hunting for stuff :)

The first I ever heard of Oak Island was when Leonard Nimoy talked about it on a rerun episode of In Search Of I saw when I was a little kid in the early ‘80s.

My wife and I also enjoy watching The Curse of Oak Island. I do believe there is something of value to be found there.

I don't have any regular serialized shows I watch on the boobtoob.

I watch the Tennessee Titans and the Nashville Predators pretty religiously, however.

But I've watched every episode of The Curse of Oak Island. I'm hopelessly addicted. :confused:

Just like the Lagina bros, I grew up reading stories and legends that surround the island and the treasure supposedly buried there. If I had the means that they do, it could TOTALLY be me up there conducting the same excavations and search. Treasure hunt stories, fiction & non-fiction, will always be among my favorite diversions.

Anyways, I rely pretty heavily on you HOG's opinions/advice on things....

so whaddya think o_O ...

1. Do you believe that there is truly a horde of gold, silver, jewels, coins, etc. hidden on Oak Island?

2. Do you think the show is legit? Meaning, does anyone-- besides the foolish rubes like me who watch every week:rolleyes:-- truly believe there's real treasure buried there?

3. Do you think the artifacts they've found already are really "found" in a legit manner? I sometimes feel like I'm watching an episode of Pawn Stars or Storage Wars. I mean, I know they have to edit out all the boring stuff, but it still feels like some of that stuff gets planted.

So post up your ideas, and please don't limit yourself to riffing on the 3 topics I've posted above...just like a real treasure hunt, let your posts go where your evidence, hunches, and imagination lead ya! Have fun! :)
I believe there may have been treasure trove there at one time. I think it’s been cleaned out a while ago.————————-I’ve been on Pawn Stars. All I’ll say it that there is nothing real about reality TV.—————————————————-The artifacts found look like Planted treasure to me. Oak island is in a area where sailing ships trying to return to England , Spain may of had to lay over during storms, repairs etc. going back they were going against the Gulf Stream. About two weeks from Europe, to the new world,!two months or longer going back. So that’s why they find Brit coins, Coconut fiber and other materials from tropical waters...

Every season my wife and I keep hoping they drain the money pit! I want to see real gold! Not just bits n pieces but a real big find!

Hell yeah there's gold there! for The History channel LOL! So one more person has to die before it's found, that's really the hook - But I have to ask this practical question- Why in the hell would these brothers have spent millions of dollars for a "Capones' vault?" ~ Geraldo still owes us for that one HAHA ~ sO this season they are getting much more serious - What amazes me is look at the equipment and modern technology being employed - are we to believe these guys are still being outsmarted by 150 year old pirates with shovels?????

Never watched a full episode of it.

Been watching Off Grid Cabins lately.

Hell yeah there's gold there! for The History channel LOL! So one more person has to die before it's found, that's really the hook - But I have to ask this practical question- Why in the hell would these brothers have spent millions of dollars for a "Capones' vault?" ~ Geraldo still owes us for that one HAHA ~ sO this season they are getting much more serious - What amazes me is look at the equipment and modern technology being employed - are we to believe these guys are still being outsmarted by 150 year old pirates with shovels?????

One thing I know is 100% true...they are spending some big time bucks :eek: on that little elephant shaped island!

Been watching it. Reminds me of the Mark Twain quote "A gold mine is just a hole in the ground with a liar at the bottom"
I think there was or maybe still is something history changing there. That said I think if they do find something like that the truth of it would be hidden as soon as it was found.
I do find just the fact that they were able to dig that deep of a hole that long ago with out it collapsing.

My wife loves the show, and I watch it with her occasionally. We believe there IS treasure buried there as well as items of historical significance.

Been watching it. Reminds me of the Mark Twain quote "A gold mine is just a hole in the ground with a liar at the bottom"
I think there was or maybe still is something history changing there. That said I think if they do find something like that the truth of it would be hidden as soon as it was found.
I do find just the fact that they were able to dig that deep of a hole that long ago with out it collapsing.
The Romans, some 2000 years ago, dug Tunnels, Aqueducts & Mines far more impressive, deeper & longer than that hole.

But they were not doing it from a boat on an island. Hard to believe a ship of pirates could do a hole that deep with flood tunnels and all the other features they have found with just the people and equipment from a ship. The level of the construction is what makes me believe they were hiding something more than just treasure. I am of the thought that it must have been done by Masons-Templars. If they got there a couple hundred years earlier than the known date of the discovery of the Americas they could have spent a good bit of time building a hiding place for relics they did not want to be known or destroyed by powers in Europe. Didn't they run into a hitch a few years ago when so group tried to block them from digging when they started finding some stuff?

I watcged it occasionally but gave up after all the fuss over the metal spike they found. Clearly a common railriad spike right down ti the offset head, square shank and flat chisel point. They insisted it was from an early wooden ship and even the museum expert found it especially interesting and needed to research it further.

I too really enjoy the show and believe there is compelling evidence of something on the Island. However, I have always been somewhat of a skeptic and the proof is in the pudding. Get some excavators out there and start digging. It's only what 150 to 200 to the bottom of the Money Pit. I am just getting a little impatient waiting, but I guess it's in the History channels best interest to really draw this search out.
Surfsidemel

I have been interested in the Oak Island story since I was young as well, but I have avoided this show because I am afraid it’s going to spoil the whole thing for me. I have gone into several History Channel shows thinking that I would love them, only to find them cheesy and seeming staged.

Back