Gulf Coast assistance - Part Deux

lt632ret said:
Just send an address if your tapped,your heart is there. A knife ain't nothing but a knife. LT

That is a kind offer LT but I am not completely tapped and there could be
someone else who may pledge a higher amount.

Fixer, LT has a heart too. Just don't tell him I said so. It will affect his poker game. Another 158OT is already on tap for the next round. Everyone will have a chance at it and assorted other knives and collectables. As you give a gift with grace, accept one with grace. You are only receiving a typical induction welcome as a true member of UNCLE HENRY'S LOST SOULS where, much like the twilight zone, it is more a state of mind. Welcome!

Codger

I'm in the army now. :eek: :D

Great, now is there a thread that I should read about Schrade history?

And does the next donation event start tomorrow?

Army? We think of it more like a mental ward. There are many important things to learn here like...who is the big dog? who is the blankmeister? what does this have to do with socks and pingpong balls? Who has the margarita shirt, and what is an Ellenville maiden? which knife does a true scorpion hunter use, and where does he hunt? Who has a bathtub full of knives, and where were Walden knives made? What is the difference in a Wallkill and a wall mount? Can you crink drown royal? See? Lots to learn!

Schrade history is scattered far and wide throughout the archives and posts. Search Henry Baer, Albert Baer, George Schrade, Ulster, Schrade Cutco, Walden etc. That I am aware of, there is not a definitive book on Schrade. You might be surprised at the companies with connections to Imperial Schrade. Ever heard of Camillus? Boker? Canal Street Cutlery?

Yes, we are preparing a shortlist of items now. As soon as the current donation pledge effort ends, we will post the next one.

codger

Army? We think of it more like a mental ward. There are many important things to learn here like...who is the big dog? who is the blankmeister? what does this have to do with socks and pingpong balls? Who has the margarita shirt, and what is an Ellenville maiden? which knife does a true scorpion hunter use, and where does he hunt? Who has a bathtub full of knives, and where were Walden knives made? What is the difference in a Wallkill and a wall mount? Can you crink drown royal? See? Lots to learn!

Schrade history is scattered far and wide throughout the archives and posts. Search Henry Baer, Albert Baer, George Schrade, Ulster, Schrade Cutco, Walden etc. That I am aware of, there is not a definitive book on Schrade. You might be surprised at the companies with connections to Imperial Schrade. Ever heard of Camillus? Boker? Canal Street Cutlery?

Yes, we are preparing a shortlist of items now. As soon as the current donation pledge effort ends, we will post the next one.

codger

the army thing was a reference to a Abbot and Costello movie. This should
be fun as I am normally a tactical knife guy. I am clueless about blanks and
the like. And what is this game Poker?

in just over 3 hours from now the second part of Gulf Coast Assistance will draw to a close.

Still time to make a pledge (no matter the size!).

Codger, Del, Lobo, LT, Textoothpk, et al: Have I been laboring under a dillusion all this time? I can't find the thread, but I thought one of you guys officially ushered me into the fold of Uncle Henry's Lost Souls. Now after reading the previous post I'm not sure. One of you put my mind at ease. Oh!, the anguish is too much to take.

Paul

PS: Just to keep this post more or less on topic, You guys who are winners of sheaths, be thinking about what you would like. I'm looking forward to building these sheaths. You'll see some of my best work.

Paul,

It was unanamously decided that since you crink drown royal, you're one of us!!!

Del

Sheathmaker, you are certainly a welcome full fledged member here. Be thinking about what pattern our 2006 Forum Knife should be based on. I, as you can guess, will be voting for a fixed blade knife of some sort. And El Lobo will be pulling for a simple folder like a Schrade Barnett (forum search). Maybe another will get tired of his D'Holders by then and donate them (yeah right).

On the sheaths, I keep thinking of the king who (Milsap's fables?), upon discovering his crown missing, questioned his counts and offered them the chance to confess and be spared. He executed all of the Counts in his court just before the crownsmith came in bearing his newly cleaned crown. So, I do not want to hatchet my counts before they chicken.

Codger

Oh my, I feel so much better. I need to call back and cancel my appointment with my therapist. About that 2006 knife....I would tend to lean toward a fixed blade, but for Pete's sake don't tell El Lobo. After a little more thought I think a folding fixed blade would be good.

Paul

Current donations:

#1 WR1.................$25.00 Delander
#2 Fixed Sheath..... $100.00 Fixer27
#3 SQ427, SQ447....$25.00 Sheathmaker
#4 Fixed Sheath..... $50.00 Codger
#5 SQ316 Nitro ..... $100.00 Andrew Taylor
#6 Folder sheath.....$100 El Lobo
#7 Folder Sheath.....$100.00 G1ZMO
#8 Folder Sheath.....$75.00 Delander
#9 Schrade PH2S.....$125.00 glennbad
Pledge-no knife or sheath...$20.00 MarkA
Pledge-no knife or sheath...$45.00 Madcap Magician

The total of pledges so far for this second week is now $765.00. Added to the first week's total of $665.00 makes a grand total of $1,430. This pledge efffort ends in just a couple of hours today, Monday September 12th at 11:00 PM EST.

What am I wood, I suggest you access the first few chapters of my book perhapes the 50 years of reseach I have spent on this subject may at least yield a point or two on the subject. Aside from that there have been numerous references offered here over the last few years on this subject and are in the archives ( I think they are there, since I am not smart enough to find them but some of the people here are ). The reason you do not find much on this subject in your searches is because most of those who care about this bit of history live or visit here. This carefully nurchered group of, (of whatever they are ) . Have chances are already discussed whatever you will find elsewhere. I would say in answer to your question that yes many of us are aware of the relationships of these companies to each other. I believe my dedication to this subject is why upon closing of the president of Schrade chose to give me the cornerstone of the building. However There is always more to learn and I for one have, just gotten to the point where I can ask ( I hope ) interesting questions. My years of answering for Schrade the questions they received on some of there antiquitys and doing there customer shows in Philly and NYS have I hope given me some insight into this subject. Strangely this group has naturally divided and most questions are kind of automaticly picked up by who evers main field of interest and expertise it falls into. I must say that I feel you will enjoy this experience since you seem to exude a quality found in most of those here you seem to honestly care in whatever goal you persue and that is the main ingredient.

Sheathmaker why someone with your abilitys would want to come aboard is amazing however the respect I have for those who can create is known. You should also be aware that there are several other members who share your wonderful talents but may be to humble to say so. Your work is beautiful and I envy you for your gift. Welcome. ( NOTE this is Usually Phils job the Margarita Moderator. ) However I also remember a thread where this was already done in regards to your joining the ranks of the lost. LT

LT thank you for the generous gift, I will cherish it. :thumbup:

And thank you Codger 64 for welcoming me to the Uncle Henry's Lost Souls
asylum.

I mentioned the next round because when I get paid, then I can donate some more for the relief effort.

Whatever was done here was only a token our few dollars have done more for our us as contributors than it will do in the over all effort. Do not mis understand me every little bit helps but it is not the money it is is the effort the lighting of one candle rather than cursing the darkness. I think everyone will agree that one should give what one can it is obvious you care and have made that effort if it is a burden then it defeats its purpose. I do not know perhapes you have millions. I do not however I am presently Knife Rich so it is my pleasure to help out if i can.

Perhapes it is a bad analogy but funerals are for the living to give them closure the gifts we give do more for us than those we give to. Wait a minute I have heard that before ACTS 20:35 fooled you guys I bet you though I only read books about Schrade.

Hey Fixer you will like the next package more. Think of the old fat guy when you use that stuff oh yea on behalf of all of us thanks for giving a SH-- . I mean thanks for caring. LT

lt632ret said:
Sheathmaker why someone with your abilitys would want to come aboard is amazing however the respect I have for those who can create is known. You should also be aware that there are several other members who share your wonderful talents but may be to humble to say so. Your work is beautiful and I envy you for your gift. Welcome. ( NOTE this is Usually Phils job the Margarita Moderator. ) However I also remember a thread where this was already done in regards to your joining the ranks of the lost. LT

Indeed, they are truly beautiful works of art with a practical application. What more can a person do in life with his hands that is better?

Tell me LT, that funny knife in the centre of your cover, is it a knife and fork in one? It is very unusual!

An excellent analogy LT. And an excellent post. When a gift is rightly given, the giver receives more than the receiver does. My Papa Oates would have said this person was a "Right Man". An old Arkansas dirt farmer, survivor of 1918 and the depression, he had a life-learned wisdom that I can only hope to live long enough to acquire.

Yeah, I think the President chose the right man as the Keeper Of The Stone . FOlks, a search of "cornerstone" will reveal this reference.

Codger

P.S.- Aw hell, here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318250&page=1&pp=20&highlight=cornerstone

LT, the picture has been trimmed. I sure would like to see if again sir.

That particular knife is called the Civil war one armed veterans knife. It is known as this even though it was first made in 1894. It was produced by the Walden knife company under the division of that company called the Press Button Knife company which was managed be George Schrade as his first endeaver with automatic knives. Prior to his moving to Walden NY to manage this division of Walden knife he ran a prototype patent office( NYC). In which he made working models of new inventions for new inventors to submit with there application for a patent. It has embossed aluminum handles ( which due to the difficulty of producing was considered a semi precious metal and top of the line for handle materials at that time ). As you can see it is a typical one arm knife ( this type of knife non folding had been made for some years ). It features a fork on one side and a knife on the other. this allows a person with one arm to cut there meat and then turn it over and use the fork. The fact that this was in a folder which could be opened with one hand made it a favorite and many prostetic companies would buy them with there companies etch. All of these are sought after but the one with the etch brings more money. 2 weeks ago I bid one with the etch and lost with a bid of 629 dollars. This company was in business from 1894 until 1924 approx however Geo Schrade left the company and sold his rights and started Schrade in 1903. By the way under many of the current laws this dangerous 110 year old artifact may under certain circumstances be illegal to own. I suggest if you own one and someone trys to confiscate it you pull you legal UZI to protect your property. LT

Gentlemen. the second week of this relief donation pledge drive is concluded. My thanks to all participants. The people listed as top pledges have already sent in their addresses with the exception of G1ZMO. Sir, please do so as soon as it is practical.

Each donor will be sent a Schrade 100th anniversary pin and a Schrade Proud American hat in addition to the items listed by their names.

#1 WR1......................... Delander
#2 Fixed Custom Sheath... Fixer27
#3 SQ427, SQ447............ Sheathmaker
#4 Fixed Custom Sheath ...Codger
#5 SQ316 Nitro ............... Andrew Taylor
#6 Folder Custom Sheath.. El Lobo
#7 Folder Custom Sheath.. G1ZMO
#8 Folder Custom Sheath...Delander
#9 Schrade PH2S............. glennbad
Pledge-no knife or sheath... MarkA
Pledge-no knife or sheath... Madcap Magician

Total for both weeks: $1,430

We will begin a third week of pledges shortly. I was hesitant to do this, given the narrow field of participants, but the concensus is to proceed with one more week of pledges here in the Schrade Knives Collectors Forum.

Codger

I've got all your mailing addresses, and now I'll be waiting to hear from each of you regarding what you might like in the way of sheath design. You can contact me at pfl@cebridge.net or 830-367-5536. If you are planning on sending me the knife you want fitted then:

Paul long
108 Briarwood Ln. W
Kerrville, Tx. 78028-9311

Thank all of you for your generosity.

Paul

Edited to add: I do not have an address for G1ZMO, so if you are out there please contact me with your address. Also Codger and Delander need the address from you as well.

Back