Gulf Coast Assistance Part Three

Fixer27,

I agree with you and your thinking. Your 'customized Schrade' will be a proud and useful possession that will also be a desired piece that your children/grandchildren will cherish someday.

I hope you'll post a photo when it's completed.

Del

Codger, I was able to read and reply to your email. Thanks, and that's a very nice project you have there!

Fixer, don't worry about "purists"! I say, do whatever you want with your own stuff! I'm in the process of making a knife "impure", right now! (Cocobolo scales onto a Swiss Army Knife...and it's lookin' good!)

Maybe I am being foolish for doing this but the "Schrade made in the US"
design should be used and used hard. Just to prove that these are great
blades.

There is fishing spot that I have found that and my goal is to catch one of
each fish that the spot has. I will use the 158 OT hard on these trips.

After all trout does taste better without the bones being on the menu....

Lt632, what would be the starting price on a tang stamp? I have found that
I am getting fired up over that personally engraved tangstamp and display
from 1953. In a way this a once in a blue moon type chance to own a rare
collectable.

Speak to us Lt, what is a decent starting pledge?

There are stil 24 hours to go at this point and maybe I would like to bust my
budget for that relic...

These knives definately were designed to be working tools. My collection began (and my interest in Schrades) with my working knives. And customizing a tool to suit one's individual tastes and needs is as old as the first flint tools. I have at least one good user knife in almost every pattern that I collect, and they do get used. Treated as a quality tool should be treated, they will last several lifetimes. I still have the 165OT Schrade Walden #16239 that I used on my deer hunts and camping trips when I was young, and it is in nearly as good condition as my newest ones. And it is a 1095 carbon blade sharpened many times over the years. I have an even earlier one from circa 1966, #09469 that is in nearly as good condition. Both are tools treated right, but used as tools should be used.

Codger

Fixer; I guess I'm not a purist because I think the idea of customizing your knife is great. You're still going to have the basic sillouette of the pattern. It's just going to look a lot better, plus the fact that I am betting that you are not doing this so you can immediately sell it. I think you're doing the right thing...go ahead on. Just post the pictures when you are through.

Paul

Pictures? You want pictures?

I am afraid that I am techie illiterate but this being a cause of interest then
i will take pictures and send them to a more techie type...

Hey Lt, how ya doin...... :D

#1 Schrade 285UH .........................$40 sheathmaker
#2 Schrade Cutlery Sign .................$25 textoothpk
#3 Schrade 108OT .........................$20 Slufstuff
#4 Imperial 329 Stockman................$20 Slufstuff
#5 Schrade LB5 .............................$80 Pocketknife
#6 Schrade 6OT..............................$60 fixer27
#7 Schrade SK3 Knife Care Kit............$20 Pocketknife
#8 Schrade 158OT ..........................$30 fixer27
#9 CSC #113313 Bone DP Hunter.......$130.00 Redshanks
#10 AMERICA 500 PH1/PH2 SET .............$1200 delander & MarcA
#11 507SC LB Big Cat w/ sheath .......$70.00 AndrewTaylor
#12 Schrade SS102 tangstamp
die w/1953 box............................$100 fixer27
#13 Schrade UH & OT Book...............$30 Redshanks
#14 Schrade UH & OT Book...............$20 Sheathmaker
#15 The collectors guide to
Switchblade Knives(Signed)...$40 Codger
#16 Virtual Switchblade Museum Tour CD....(NO PLEDGE YET)
#17 Blue Bone PH2.....................................$55 Codger
$25 Donation, no item.........El Lobo
Total so far....$1,965.00!!
Total GCA #1.....$665.00
Total CGA #2.....$765.00
Grand total to date: $3395.00

Sheathmaker, I just had to top that pledge on the Richard Langston book! Beat it if you can!

fixer27 has pledged on #12, the original Imperial Schrade tangstamp in the 1953 Esquire box.

The Knife collection CD still has no pledges, and all pledges listed can be topped. Or donation pledges such as El Lobo's are welcome if there is not an item you want or need.

We have less than 24 hours left in this third and final part of our Gulf Coast Assistance donation pledge drive. We will end it at 11 P.M. EST tonight. All top pledged donors are asked to send their mailing addresses tonight, so that the pledge gifts may be sent out ASAP.

I am quite pleased with the generous pledges everyone has made in all three weeks, but can anyone pledge a dollar...five dollars more? All visitors are welcome to pledge against an item. If you are the highest pledge, you send your donation directly to the Red Cross or Salvation Army for Katrina Relief, not to us. All we need is your mailing address and we pay for shipping the donated gift item to you.

Codger

As soon as Lt speaks up, I will have a paypal payment going to his favorite
Katrina cause...

If only this pledge drive had 3 more days......

Darnnit give me a paypal address and the knife run that the engraved stamp
came from and I have 100 dollars more (on credit mind you) to spend.

I will pledge 100 dollars towards the stamp....and i was almost out of debt
everytime I think that I am out Lt pulls me back in.

(Lt, give me your paypal address, this goes past a hippie thing and I want to
make sure that your cause has been payed....)

You keep costing me money. how much is the shipping? 5 dollars more on a
paypal transaction won't matter really.

Andy at Sportsnutcatalog.com has offered to donate a Blue Bone PH2 fixed blade knife.
If there is interest in this (meaning pledges will be forthcoming before this Gulf Coast Assistance Part Three closes), let us know right away please.

Here's a photo of the knife.

www.hunt101.com
[/url][/IMG]

Andy is a fine businessman and generous as well. I already have one of these--- recall that I found some evidence that these blue bones were to take the place of the special Case blue bones available at Lowes. Beautiful knives. So despite having one, this deserves a bid. I won't accept it at this price, but just to get the ball rolling...

$25. Now quick, before this is over, someone outbid me. Andy deserves to see some bids.

Phil

Thankyou Mitch! This is one of the knives I have been lusting for, but the stag bone CSC issue is the one I have my heart set on, if it is to be. I think the blue bones will prove over time to be pretty rare, and a better appearance then the standard production model of the PH2. Thanks again Andy!

I have seen a couple of the blue bone slip joints with 100th anniversary banner shields, so until we can ask Joe, Wally, Deb, or some other former Schrade employee, all we can do is guess I suppose. Dang, if they had just done more stuff like this and bailed out of Wau-Mah sooner..... but then we are back to if frogs had wings and your aunt had balls. :confused:

Codger

Less than four hours to go and we will close the pledges for this, the final part of our Hurricane Katrina Assistance effort. Sponsors have been very generous with the gifts, and pledge donors have come across in fine fashion, giving from the heart more than the budget.

A short three weeks ago, a member from Canada with his heart torn with angst at the level of destruction and the shear number of people made homeless on our Gulf Coast began a gesture that has gone far beyond what he envisioned. Here is an excerpt from an early communication I had with him:

"Mike,
It would be super if the total donations were near or over $200"

Total so far....$1,890.00!!
Total GCA #1.....$665.00
Total CGA #2.....$765.00
Grand total to date: $3320.00

Well, needless to say we, the forum members, with the support of the forum owner and administrators and the few outside donors, have far surpassed what was hoped for when this seed of kindness was planted by Big Heart .

So in these last few hours, dig as deep as you are able. If you can pledge a fistfull of dollars, or a few dollars more (I like Clint's spaghetti westerns!), please do so. Have to wait for next week's paycheck? O.K., The deadling for dropping off or e-mailing your pledges to the Red Cross or Salvation Army is NOT 11:01 PM EST when we end this pledge effort. The deadline to send your pledge where it will help is as soon as possible. That is the meaning of pledge, a promise, not a collection of receipts.

I hope to see a few new pledges tonight. And I pray that the dollars we have and will send to relieve the suffering of the homeless will be used wisely by those most in need. We are hosting a family here in our local town in rural Southwest Tennessee. They are some of the lucky ones. Their home may have even survived, though probably empty. I think of them and their little girl when I see you men stepping up to the plate to help. And I hope that shoould my children ever be in such a position, men of good standing and high charactor will step foreward for them too.

Thankyou,

Codger rambling again!

Mike, the members and guests to this forum have set the bar a few notches higher for other forums to follow.

And, this has not gone unnoticed by many folks. Everyone here can hold their heads a little higher, knowing that the Schrade Collectors Forum members and guests have done a good thing. Thanks all.
Del

Well, I can't really afford to do this, with a doctor's bill coming in soon, but I figure I'm still way better off than those folks down at the Gulf Coast....

I see that I've pledged $50 on #5 Schrade LB5.
Okay, I'll see my $50, and raise it another $30. ($80 now).
I never was much of a poker player! :rolleyes:
But this ain't no game.

Codger, I hate to do this to you, but I'll put $130.00 on the CSC bone hunter to go towards my favorite charity, the Salvation Army. That's the best I can do. If you really had your heart set on that knife, I'll step aside.

Pocketknife, we know who the winners will be, and they don't have a clue that we are doing this. Thank you for increasing your pledge sir.

Codger

No sir Redshanks, I would not hear of it. CSC made enough knives for me to get one later. Your support of this cause has been outstanding! A tip of the boonie hat to you sir!

Codger

My donations are leaving with the morning tide. I am having trouble with
paypal (I got one of those "scam" warnings in my e-mail and my reply
button is not working so for now it is going to be MO for NO).

Delander check your PM's you have mail.

To be honest, I never thought that much money would be raised. I am very
happy that it has been so productive. This money should help many people
in the Gulf Coast region.

Back