Gun Hoarding...Why

martha.jpg

So tying this all together then you get...

Cabbit said:
DrClckWrk:

My sentence was carefully worded to not read that way and does not link cause or effect to either end.

Reread what I wrote carefully and you will see what I mean.

In essence I was saying that that personality type is drawn to weapon collecting, but am not saying that all collectors exhibit those traits.

Understood. His way of summing up what you said included an exaggeration in the form of the word "all" rather than your word "often," I recognize that, but I think he made a good point that should not be lost in the shuffle.

Simply enough, you claim that people who are prone to psychotic, violent behavior are often collectors of weapons.

First of all, isn't this an inflamatory way of phrasing a question to a bunch of weapon collectors, especially if you are "just wondering why" we are interested in having many weapons?

Second, I doubt that psychotic, violent people are really prone to weapon collecting. As someone said earlier, I think this may be a Hollywood image more than anything. Do you have anything to back this claim up? By this I don't mean single examples, but rather something that illustrates a trend? I'm open to being corrected on this but would need to see some evidence.

I believe it's a trait listed in the DSM-IV, the guide psychologists use to diagnose mental illnesses. I don't have a copy handy though so I can't check that for certain. I'm also open to any information that would refute this as I kinda get the same crap due to my sword collection.

As for inflamatory, it wasn't meant to be that. Just trying to get people thinking about why.

If you don't want to answer, you don't have to.

If you do, go right ahead.

Not playing a psychologist either. Just giving the perceptions of the non gun crowd.

Cabbit, there's several good reasons for buying ten magazines for two of my rifles.

1) If Kerry had been elected there would have been a new AWB back in place before he was in office the first hundred days. I had two magazines for my FN, and perhaps 3 or 4 for the AK. I chose to buy more magazines now ( pre-election ) because I might not be able to do so later.

2) My experience as a social worker with 500+ investigations of child and elderly neglect/abuse/exploitation leads me to believe in the goodness of man but also in having the ability to stop those who are bent on evil from inflicting it on me or those I care for.

3) When you've been involved in 3 investigations of children's deaths, or have had to strip search a 6 week old baby's body alongside a homicide investigator because of a screw up by health care professionals, call me to tell me about it.

4) If you've made the decision as a Revocation Hearing officer to bind over 30 parolees back to prison to wait for a parole board's review of their violation of parole - and realized they were starting to get back out, tell me why I shouldn't take prudent steps to have protection in place.

5) Three thousand years of recorded history tell us man hasn't changed much.
He's still capable of horrendous acts that make little sense to us.

I've a degree in social work, experience with a suicide prevention - crisis call line, a thousand hour internship with Adult Parole and Probation, and lasted over 5&1/2 years in a job that had I00% turnover every 13 months. I've been threatened with a firearm for doing my job. I've also worked on the state institutional investigation team. I've been a Tribal Officer for about the same length of time, and worked in the schools on a Bureau of Alcohol and Drug Abuse grant for Early Intervention in High Risk Children.

When you have as much experience in saving the world from itself, then talk to me.
l

Boy am I glad you people went to bed! That got pretty heated. You all had good points. Perhaps this was not the best place for such a thread. I'd wager that most people here do collect weapons (duh, khukuris). People who were on the defensive and Cabbit: I agree with danny. Take a break. Differences always seem less drastic after some time to examine them.

Good luck in round 2, if it occurs :)

PS:

If the Federal government wants you to have something, you probably DON'T want to have it. ( The feds want to give Nevada a nuclear waste dump. )

Conversely, should the Feds NOT want you to have something, it's likely something you ought to get while you can. ( Anything that scares the feds can't be all bad! )

Just woke up, dont know if anyone is watching this anymore.

What happens when you are isolated, the ammunition factories are bombed, and you have to defend and feed your family?

That box of #5's under your bed isnt going to last forever.

Hmm, from my point of view, gun hoarding is when they've got more than you do, but that is of course correctable - just buy more!

most psycologists, psychiatrists, (whatever) etc. are nuts themselves, thats why they become nut-doctors - they have an obsession with categorizing people for traits that have nothing to do with reality. or posting silly questions to stir up the pot.

like lawyers they are one of the few professions that are self-creating.

1. politicians make laws after consulting with lawyers to ensure they are not undestandable by a non-lawyer, thus they can then charge for their services in interpreting what they meant in the first place. lawyers frequently molt into politicians to enable the breed to multiply. they then come in two flavors, liberal and conservative. the conservative variety leaves a better taste in your mouth tho. both are adept at talking you out of your money, hereafter referred to by the party of the first part as 'fees', 'penalties' or 'taxes' , but not limited or restrained by any action or liability by the party of the second part in loco parentis or habeas corpi. terms and conditions apply.

2. psychiatrists invented their own profession, if they can convince someone else that they are crazy, they can charge them for the 'cure'. this centuries snake-oil salesmen. they can also use it to assure themselves that they are the sane one, and it's the rest of us that are cwazy.. before sigmund, there were none, they've popped out of the woodwork like cockroaches & are as hard to get rid of. they revel in posting inane questions like in this thread to drum up business. might as well ask 'what is the meaning of life?' ah, well we can always go back to the pre-psych ideas that they are all posessed by devils. we'd have a lot of psychiatrists and lawyers that we could burn at the stake then. psychiatrists generally come only in one flavor, liberal, but make up for this by attempting to force their opinions on others in the name of their craft. they don't taste very good. a little chianti helps tho. again very adept at talking people out of money, hereafter referred to as ''you know i don't really want to charge you a fee for helping you regress past your emotional stress, but unfortuneatly i need to maintain these plush offices in order to better serve my patients, and this takes money'' (usually so they can pay off their lawyers representing them in malpractice suits)

anyhow, what do i know, i'm just another nutty collector of pointy things and things that go boom.

The talk of "coming riots" and such only fuels this concern as that kind of talk is generally the trademark of extreme racism, paranoia or someone planning to commit an extreme act of violence.
Having 50+ 30 round clips ready to go is a concern though.
All collections have an underlying reason
I don't assume anything. I was only passing on the opinion of many psychologists who specialize in treating people who fit the profile of the types I mentioned.
Have tons of them around ready to go signifies intent to use them. When it reaches that level it seems to me to be beyond the point of self defense.
However, individuals who exhibit those behaviors often stockpile massive amounts weapons of all types.
However there is a point where it just becomes disturbing.
In essence I was saying that that personality type is drawn to weapon collecting, but am not saying that all collectors exhibit those traits.
I believe it's a trait listed in the DSM-IV, the guide psychologists use to diagnose mental illnesses. I don't have a copy handy though so I can't check that for certain.

Look at your quotes Cabbit. it's pretty clear you have time and time again indicated that there are certain personality metrics that characterize those who collect stockpile a great number of ammunition. you're right though... you have never gone out and said specifically what type of metrics define this group but you often refer to these "unsaid" characteristics.

treating people who fit the profile of the types
individuals who exhibit those behaviors
personality type is drawn to weapon collecting
trait listed in the DSM-IV

So now I ask you Cabbit, in a gesture of academia... tell me explicitly what this profile, what these behaviours, what this personality types are.

Not playing a psychologist either. Just giving the perceptions of the non gun crowd.

I'll address this quote later, still a bit bleary eyed ;)

50 - 30 Round Clips - That's Crazy and Why I Stopped at 49. Now I Won't be Classified as a Wacko !!! :eek:

I also own several same model Buck Pocket Knives along with a few duplicate Spyderco's. Does the Guy who collects stamps (or anything for that matter) need psycho analysis?

I've known lots of shrinks etc (Not on a Professional basis ;) ) and they are usually not wound very tight. Many good answers here, I just really don't understand the question :D

Thanks for the comments on Musigame.

I don't know why Cabbit is asking these questions, because I am not him. But this type of questioning is what we should all have an answer for. Why, what happens when someone we actually care about asks us this type of question? We should have a well thought out answer.

Ten years ago I was a salesman in a fortune 500 company. Part of the training was to know the answers to questions before you had them come up on a professional sales call so that you were prepared and didn't stumble around looking foolish. In this day and age of people wanting to infringe upon our rights, we should have a good answer as to why. Playing devils advocate will help us all be able to answer the tough questions whether it is why does that widget cost so damn much to why do you need 47 firearms in 3 safes?

We should collectively consider this type of questioning a good practice run before we get infront of our big clients or someone we care about in our families. Think about it; an answer that says because I can, doesn't give them a feeling that you are really telling them the whole story.

Quick recap for my reason, history of the firearm - member of the family owned it - sentimental. I took this elk on the wall with that particular firearm. Like tools in a tool chest they all do different functions. Different calibers for different applications. Collecting for collecting. There are many good reasons we can come up with. One of which, and we don't need to hang our heads when we say it, is self preservation. To protect the ones we love.

Just thought that I would throw a different perspective on this thread that I hadn't seen brought up yet. Clay

Complete DSM-IV Diagnostic Criteria - Personality Disorders

http://mysite.verizon.net/res7oqx1/id16.html#Paranoid

Maybe instead of collecting anything we should all be wetting the bed or starting fires :D

I also own Craftsman tools mechanical/power and no ones ever accused me of being a mechanic or a carpenter. Now because I own several firearms/ammunition I need to explain why I'm not a Nut Job? Please !!!

The great thing about America, We Do Things Because We Can and We Vote to Protect Those Freedoms. America Exercised Choice Recently and We Have 4 More Years of Not Having to Answer to the Liberal Anti Gun Crowd

Cabbit said:
A few recent posts on this forum have got me wondering why exactly someone feels they need a gazzillion assault rifle clips that hold literally enough ammo to wipe out a small town. I honestly can't think of any practical reason- ie hunting, self defence, etc. And to be honest it's a little alarming. The talk of "coming riots" and such only fuels this concern as that kind of talk is generally the trademark of extreme racism, paranoia or someone planning to commit an extreme act of violence.

from your initial post, cabbit...

it is precisely this type of attitude that i have a problem with... the fact that you find it alarming alludes to some "paranoia" on your part... you fear that which is different from you, and that which you do not understand... that sounds pretty racist to me, only instead of targeting an ethnic group, you target a sub-group of gun owners... considering that you feel this way, it is indeed fortunate for us that youre not in charge of firearm legislation...

i could say a lot about this post, but none of it would be even remotely civil, so ill keep my big mouth shut...

but i will say this: "because i can" and "because thats what i want" are perfectly acceptable responses to your questions as to "why"... thats one of the great things about living in our society...

some people have no concept of personal responsability...

sarge said:
Many good answers here, I just really don't understand the question :D
As many of us here do not Sarge.:confused: It's totally out of character for a member of the HI Forum to ask such a question seeing as how we're all collectors of something.:rolleyes:
Someone mentioned something about showing a new khuk to a friend a while back and when he did so was asked something like,
"Why your interest in weapons used to/or for behead/beheading people?"
The man obviously doesn't share our interest in large pointy sharp things that could be used for beheading people but are most generally used as a tool much the same as the average large gun collector uses his gun's.
When I bought my AK-47 I got a bargain package in that there was about 2,000 rounds of ammo, several high capacity preban mags, a couple of vests that held several fully loaded mags, a cleaning kit, and a gun case that it just happened too be shipped to Oklahoma in.
I got the whole rig for a very good and fair price!!!!:D

When I buy .22 calibre ammo I buy it by the brick or multiple bricks because when you're out plinking a 50 round box of ammo doesn't go very far.
And as I said before in my first post, "The high capacity mags are more fun too shoot because you're not having too stop and reload all the time." and IMO a good enough reason too own all you like.
Right now I'm low on .22 ammo as well as 12 guage ammo but that's due to finances.
I'm not particularly worried about it as I don't get too go shooting much anymore.
Many people often don't have the funds to buy all the ammo they might want for target practice or just plinking all the time so when they get an unexpected fairly large amount of money at once it's a chance to supply up for six months to a year.

As too a large cache of guns I only wish! I have a cousin who has a nice collection albeit isn't all he would like, it is a helluva lot bigger than my modest supply.
He gave me my .303 Brit SMLE so I would have something for deer hunting besides my .357 Marlin Carbine which isn't good for much over a 100 yards.
I then bought my Ruger 10/.22 for a time when I could maybe get back out into the woods to pop a few squirrels.
My Ruger Security Six was purchased mostly for home defense, but is also legal for deer in Oklahoma now and has been for a few years since the Fish & Game Dept legalized handguns for hunting.
I did buy the AK-47 just in case my/our home was someday accosted by undesirables wanting what is mine/our's.
There isn't much history of home invasions in our neighborhood but one never knows when or by whom they're liable too come under attack from.
It's best too be prepared for any circumstances.

For people like my cousin and other people who has as many or more guns as I have khukuris, well quite frankly I sort of envy them.
I wish I had the funds to have such a fine collection as some I've seen.
It may or may not be true that the psychos and nitwits that have a tendency too go off the deep end generally collect profusious amounts of guns but if a person decides they want to commit mass murder they have an option to all kinds of weapons besides guns.
Look at the different ones that have used swords, machetes and the like too kill and wound several people at once.
The only advantage a gun gives these people is that the LEOs have too be a bit more careful in taking them out.

Rambling I know, but there it is for what it's worth.;)

Yvsa - Please tell me about your Marlin 357 Carbine. I'm thinking about buying a Marlin, Winchester or Rossi in that Caliber to go along with a 357 Pistol. Likes, Dislikes, shortcoming's. I'm primarily thinking of this as being a plinker, target practice fun gun not for hunting. I can buy the Marlin 30-30 at Wal-Mart for a significant savings but didn't want to add an additional caliber to my collection. Thanks for your thoughts.

Back