Gun Picture Thread

This was the M-28 Smith, "Highway Patrolman" I carried ironically AS a Highway Patrolman for several years in the 1980's.

We eventually moved to autos. I was able to buy my gun for $140 IIRC. Possibly less. It was badly holster worn so I sent it in to Smith for a go through and refinish. I specified "factory M-28" finish but they misunderstood and refinished it in their matte black. Nothging was required internally.

I added a set of German NIL, finger groove stocks. They fit me like a glove.

That old M28 killed MANY road injured deer, elk, etc. Was aimed at a few bad guys too, but thankfully never used in anger as they say.

That 28 is a beauty. The older I get, the more I favor my wheelguns..... there’s just something about a “classic”. It’s difficult to explain or describe it, but if you spend lots of time around something you love and admire, you understand it. Take her for a walk in the woods every chance you get, and add to her history.

This was the M-28 Smith, "Highway Patrolman" I carried ironically AS a Highway Patrolman for several years in the 1980's.

We eventually moved to autos. I was able to buy my gun for $140 IIRC. Possibly less. It was badly holster worn so I sent it in to Smith for a go through and refinish. I specified "factory M-28" finish but they misunderstood and refinished it in their matte black. Nothging was required internally.

I added a set of German NIL, finger groove stocks. They fit me like a glove.

That old M28 killed MANY road injured deer, elk, etc. Was aimed at a few bad guys too, but thankfully never used in anger as they say.

Just cool!

First Pancake Style holster for a Blackhawk .357.

C0dWl0y.jpg

ZKB2gr2.jpg

Man your leather work always looks so clean.

Thanks. Its kinda a never ending treadmill, as my brother calls it, around here. I do leather work in between batches of knives. Just finished a batch of knives and their sheaths on Monday so Tuesday and yesterday I made two custom sheaths, a belt, a holster for a Glock 23, repaired a purse from Spain for a friends wife and started on four sets of 8 ft reins, (Lots of sewing there, one set of which is for me so its getting finished first). I also helped the daughter in law finish a pair of shotgun chaps for herself and have a belt for fellow BF guy in line as well as four pairs of leggings. On the knife making side of the shop there is a box with 70 odd blades back from heat treat calling my name. Just waiting for all the materials to come in before starting another batch of knives. Oh yeah, we also run a cattle ranch, so keeps us out of the bars so to speak. The wife in the blue shirt giving shots to this calf. We made all the leather pictured here except the boots. All belts, holsters, three sets of leggings (we use the generic term leggings for chaps as there are many different types, for instance in this pic there are two pairs of chinks and one pair of charmitas) and two knives and sheaths if ya look close enough.

WoS6OeN.jpg

NvEAid9.jpg

The wife does much of the leather carving and a lot of the sewing on the leggings. Her holster for her EMP with our cattle brand.

zXeadKk.jpg

Cross draw, left hand slide for a Kimber 3" 1911:

9AsZkx5.jpg

The wife is pretty handy with an iron (thats some old bowlegged guy standing next to her):

7NYCRGb.jpg

Or a rope:

dMQPeKG.jpg

She is sometimes teased about her and her mare Josie having the same hairdresser:

Ag0sohO.jpg

Most of the time I'll be horseback doing a lot of the roping but I'd loaned my horse to my daughter who was home visiting from college, and she is pretty handy with a rope her ownself:

zrUrVGn.jpg

Normally leave most of the groundwork to the youngsters, cause old guys can sometimes get whooped on by calves if we are left to our own devices unless we have big backup:

xWRcf6a.jpg

Glock 43 for the old guy with big back up:

tmcVs5b.jpg

Dang it where's my horse?

UIrVN18.jpg

Anyhoo back to guns. Browning BLR in .243 in one of our Scoped Rifle Scabbards:

RcBN0Fd.jpg

6NDGRFp.jpg

aVfZXYC.jpg

Last edited:
Now that is cool wood to metal fit!

Browning copy of 1895 Winchester in .30-06.

Aoi0XdT.jpg

UtsS7K4.jpg

ZjCfbtr.jpg
I’ve got the take down version of the same rifle though mine has the case colored receiver. It’s one of the batch of limited editions Browning did but I can’t recall when, maybe the late 1980’s? It was NIB when I bought it last year but I do plan on shooting it when I find the time. Nice to see someone else who likes this model of lever gun.
image_zps7weu8qwi.jpeg

image_zpsx13rmjd6.jpeg

I’ve got the take down version of the same rifle though mine has the case colored receiver. It’s one of the batch of limited editions Browning did but I can’t recall when, maybe the late 1980’s? It was NIB when I bought it last year but I do plan on shooting it when I find the time. Nice to see someone else who likes this model of lever gun.
image_zps7weu8qwi.jpeg

image_zpsx13rmjd6.jpeg

Ok thats just flat gorgeous and having it be a takedown is just cool. Yeah shoot it they are great. I half ass been thinking of sending mine to Turnbull for case hardening. What calibre is yours?

Last edited:
mec-gar 18 rounders; i like that they still sit flush(ish) (and run 100% of course). i snagged them from topgun supply, but they're currently out of stock.

Ok thats just flat gorgeous and having it be a takedown is just cool. Yeah shoot it they are great. I half ass been thinking of sending mine to Turnbull for case hardening. What calibre is yours?

It’s chambered in 30.06. The same local auction I got mine at also had an 1895 saddle ring carbine in 30-40 Krag. It was part of the same re-issue as mine. It was sweet but I didn’t want to add a new caliber to my collection. The 30.06 is one of my favorite calibers in addition to the 1895 I’ve got a Remington 1903A3 and the little gal pictured below.

MVC-053S.jpg

mec-gar 18 rounders; i like that they still sit flush(ish) (and run 100% of course). i snagged them from topgun supply, but they're currently out of stock.

They're currently available at Midway.

So Mec-Gar, you say? I've got some of their magazines for my P226, but they don't have those witness holes on the back side for counting ammunition. That's what threw me.

my 228 mags from them are like you state; every 5 rounds - right side only. may be something they did just for beretta - my beretta 15 rounders by them are also indicated on back.

It’s chambered in 30.06. The same local auction I got mine at also had an 1895 saddle ring carbine in 30-40 Krag. It was part of the same re-issue as mine. It was sweet but I didn’t want to add a new caliber to my collection. The 30.06 is one of my favorite calibers in addition to the 1895 I’ve got a Remington 1903A3 and the little gal pictured below.

MVC-053S.jpg
A BAR???? Wwwwwwoooooowwwwwww now its really cool. They say .30-40 Krag is the optimum round for a 95. Can't say I'm whining bout my 06 though. Go shoot it. Heck come on over, we got our own range! Lucky that away.

Great thing is this is a reproduction of the model Winchester 1885 Low Wall in 22 WMR which is a reproduction although in Low Wall of the first rifle John Browning sold to Winchester. Something a bit different for me to enjoy at the range. Still a Winchester and a Lever Gun which I Luv but a Single Shot and in 22 WMR that I can enjoy at the range.

Back