Gun Picture Thread

A few pics from our 4th Annual Father's Day Shootout at our ranch. Close family and friends. We start with shotguns and blow up a couple boxes of clay birds and then switch to rifles and handguns.

My daughter had never shot at clays before and had a blast. She picked it up fast.

cmE4Pps.jpg

The wife and I. Only holster I own that I didn't make. Works good for this little J frame Mod 36 (first two are snake shot, snakes are bad this year).

7KllA3s.jpg

2Mufzoz.jpg

Some Horsewright gun leather the neighbors brought:

uim0doD.jpg

Big Tyler knocked em down:

UGNmw7E.jpg

Every girl needs a Henry:

znkXAOF.jpg

DpfVlIe.jpg

Working with the daughter on how to shoot the big Vaquero.

WD4VIgg.jpg

She got it:

jBvpEyV.jpg

Only downside was a squib load that got stuck in Tyler's wife's original 1890 Win. Wasn't fixable at the range. Here he's loading up his Henry pump .22.

B5Qc5kY.jpg

Happy blasting was had by all:

ivFtozO.jpg

5w0K7Lu.jpg

isnC3Xf.jpg

U4JfcUO.jpg

Lucky Number Seven. It is seven because it was the seventh rifle made for the 264 RLB wildcat cartridge. I also had #4.
264 RLB is a 6.8 SPC necked down to 6.5mm, then with the shoulder blown forward VERY similar to an Ackley Improved cartridge. It's an absolute joy to shoot, with recoil about like a 223. There is no recoil pad because it's not needed.

z7kJFGD.jpg

It is a custom rifle built on a Ruger #3 action, which started off life as a 45-70. Similar to the #1 except a classic "S" lever instead of the Farquharson lever on the #1. The forend doesn't match because it was cut from a block of walnut by the gunsmith to my specifications, so it had not completely faded yet in that picture. It now matches the buttstock much better. The buttstock was a #1 buttstock from Boyds. The barrel is a 25" Palma Profile by Pacnor. The barrel is cylindrical out to the end of the rail, both to make mounting a rail easier, and to have a large heat sink that extends well past the end of the chamber. The barrel never gets hot.

Here is the cartridge. Don't be fooled by the size. It is a high efficiency cartridge. Using only 33 grains of powder, it is roughly on par with a 6.5x55 Swede using 44 grains of powder. It has proven to be a very effective round for whitetail deer out to 300 yards. Think of it as a 300 yard 30-30 because it has roughly the same killing power at 300 yards as a 30-30 has at 100 yards.
PSXxbGH.jpg

That's a 130 grain Accubond, which gets up to about 2650 fps in #7.

Last edited:
No doubt the Colt Python is extremely cool however the Korth has always been of greater interest to me. Intially I got the Korth in 22LR because I tend to shoot 22s more often. However since seeing a Korth I've always wanted one in 357 and this one has the 9mm Cylinder as well. I think it's pretty cool that with a push of a button I can go from 357 to 9mm. I can also do that with my Blackhawk but there doesn't seem to be many DA Revolvers capable of that. I did consider the Korth Super Sport but decided to get the more classic looking Mongoose instead.

It was close! A close call.

We'd just finished grilling up hamburgers with eggs and bacon on the new Blackstone. We were getting ready to clean er up and realized we were being besieged by a squad of tactical ground squirrels. It was all hands to the castle ramparts to defend home and hearth and Balckstone from the invaders.

47RS75w.jpg

DNOiRkN.jpg

1qd0Yp3.jpg

A lull in the action:

uFudvUd.jpg

KJeBDRr.jpg

Then a repeated assault wave was repelled:

IGwps2M.jpg

uRJpY2y.jpg

Had the cray cray landshark of a cowdog guarding the moat:

voe5OnY.jpg

Best shot of the night was the wife with her Henry here and the CCI Quiet rounds. 50 paces and their Generalmissmo did a back flip dead. With their leader gone the attack melted away. She loves this rifle:

PUnQSu4.jpg

The ammo pictured is perfect for such defense as both of them turn your .22 into an air rifle. The Aquila Colibri for handguns at 420 fps and the CCI for the long guns at 710 fps.

Here’s a couple of hunting rifles:

This one's my blacktail, pronghorn and pig rig, built on a Interarms Mark X receiver (Mauser 98) w/a Shilen barrel in .243 Win., Bell & Carlson carbelite stock, Timney trigger and a Swarovski 4-12x50 scope

6Kg8jhS.jpg

This one's my mule deer and black bear rig, a factory Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .270 Winchester w/a Leupold 4.5-14x40 scope

BvZ458U.jpg

Last edited:
Back