Gun Picture Thread

Rock Island M1903. Had been on the CMP lottery without luck so was one of those given first pick when CMP released these in the very late 1990s. Picked a high number RI with S stock. $400 from the CMP delivered to my front porch.

In cosmoline from the CMP:
M1903%2520cosmo.jpg

After cleaning:
M1903.jpg

Last edited:
Sporter I had built on a Steyr M1903 Mannlicher Schonauer action from 1909 I rescued in Hawaii from a buffoon who said he was going to modify it for 7.62X39MM AK cartridge. Paid $80 for the action sometime between 1995 and 1998. Paid more than the rifle is worth to have it built.

M1903-14%2520MS.jpg

M1903-14%2520MS%2520Stock.jpg

DSCN0289.JPG

DSCN0324.JPG

Last edited:

One of my LR rifles just after completion, load work up at 200 yds with a 45X scope and my loyal feline buddy.
DEFIANCE action, 27" HART barrel , chambered in 6mm/6.5x47 Lapua. Meaning the 6.5 parent case , simply necked down to 6mm.
Mc Millan stock, ATLAS bipod, Surgeon bottom metal and mag, Jewell 6 oz trigger.
Elite Iron suppressor and cover.

With 105 Bergers it's a .2" at 100 yds shooter. Of you see more than a single hole at 100 the shooter pulled the shot or misjudged the wind.

Last edited:
A pair of 1970's High Standard .22 target autos. These were used to the NRA Pistol Bullseye courses.
The target on the bench is the slow fire target. Shot at FIFTY yds, one hand, off hand. Then one moves the target to 25 yds for timed and rapid fire.

This is a significant revolver for the S&W fan. One of the fist Combat Magnums or a pre M-19's , produced. Built in early 1956 it was the 25th CM off the line. It was sent to one of the Factories Salesman, their CA Rep. It was a very standard Combat Magnum, in blue, standard hammer and trigger and Target stocks. I fell into this gun at an Estate Sale in Reno, NV. This gun deserves a much better photo some day.

Last edited:
This is a significant revolver for the S&W fan. One of the fist Combat Magnums or a pre M-19's , produced. Built in early 1956 it was the 25th CM off the line. It was sent to one of the Factories Salesman, their CA Rep. It was a very standard Combat Magnum, in blue, standard hammer and trigger and Target stocks. I fell into this gun at an Estate Sale in Reno, NV. This gun deserves a much better photo some day.

Very nice. I've looked into getting something like this more than once. Maybe one day...….

A pair of 1970's High Standard .22 target autos. These were used to the NRA Pistol Bullseye courses.
The target on the bench is the slow fire target. Shot at FIFTY yds, one hand, off hand. Then one moves the target to 25 yds for timed and rapid fire.

Awesome!!!! Wow, those look like new. When it came down to it I choose a couple of S&W 41's but I seriously considered getting a High standard. Very nice.

Heres my shooter M-41. An older, 5 digit serial gun. It's previous owner shot an indoor Match one cold night, and left the gun in it's foam padded case overnight in his car in zero temps. Then brought it into the house and left it in it's case for a few weeks. It RUSTED badly. So he had it gone over and the entire gun Armalloy'd. Armalloy was a thin, super hard finish popular in the 1970's. I bought the gun from his estate sale in the late 1990's. Gun has FOUR barrels, several mags and the interesting and rare, Olympic Counterweight assembly. It's a laser with all the barrels and has been 100% reliable. Yeah it's a bit gaudy, but for $400 for ALL of it...I'll suffer.

M-41's were always my favorite as well. But the HS's were very capable too.

When researching whether or not to get a High Standard and because I only considered them recently there were a couple drawbacks or cons I couldn't get over. For one I thought I would never be able to tell for sure if they had been abused or not. That is whether someone had fired High Velocity Ammo through it or not. Yeah, I could visually check to see if the frame was cracked but I would never know for certain that they hadn't done so to a point the frame had not quite cracked yet. That and the feed issue they suffered wasn't actually an attractive element for me either. I uinderstand theres a tool to correct their magazines but still it just wasn't something I wanted to deal with. Finally no warranty given these potential problems was too problematic for me. However I still find the High Standards a very desirable gun.

My hats off to you sir, you have some very nice guns.

Cheers,

Dan

Dddrees,

Even way back when, the High Standards were problematic when it came to feeding. BUT once you had mags THAT FED, one was usually OK. The tool is sold by Brownells to this day. You simply tweek the feed lips gently, until it feeds 100%. I was fortunate in that I shot for my States Natl Guard Team back in the early 70's. So I had access to VERY experienced Armorers, especially at the big shoots. If you had an issue you dropped off the gun. Then watched and waited as they fixed it in front of You. For FREE. I shot a short barrel VICTOR for timed and rapid fire, and bought 3 spare mags for it. Dropped it off with our Armorer and a week later got it back with five mags that still feed fine, forty five plus years later.

The M-41's were not without issues either. IIRC we were allowed a 2 pound trigger pull. Most were lighter than that rom the factory. So the Armorers had to work on the sear engagement to get it to 2#. I had a M-46 that was a State gun , that had maybe a 1# trigger if that. It was a 7" barrel gun and it worked well for ME. But couldn't really use it at registered Matches. I think they had given up on that 46 trying to get it to 2 pounds.

I really enjoyed NRA Bullseye back then. It's pretty much dying now. Even after allowing optics.

Dddrees,

Even way back when, the High Standards were problematic when it came to feeding. BUT once you had mags THAT FED, one was usually OK. The tool is sold by Brownells to this day. You simply tweek the feed lips gently, until it feeds 100%. I was fortunate in that I shot for my States Natl Guard Team back in the early 70's. So I had access to VERY experienced Armorers, especially at the big shoots. If you had an issue you dropped off the gun. Then watched and waited as they fixed it in front of You. For FREE. I shot a short barrel VICTOR for timed and rapid fire, and bought 3 spare mags for it. Dropped it off with our Armorer and a week later got it back with five mags that still feed fine, forty five plus years later.

The M-41's were not without issues either. IIRC we were allowed a 2 pound trigger pull. Most were lighter than that rom the factory. So the Armorers had to work on the sear engagement to get it to 2#. I had a M-46 that was a State gun , that had maybe a 1# trigger if that. It was a 7" barrel gun and it worked well for ME. But couldn't really use it at registered Matches. I think they had given up on that 46 trying to get it to 2 pounds.

I really enjoyed NRA Bullseye back then. It's pretty much dying now. Even after allowing optics.

Sorry to hear that even though I’ve never competed myself, but I can appreciate the commitment that must take. I also enjoy things like the S&W 41 and High Standards although I could never live up to what they are capable of. However it’s so enjoyable that it does force me to focus a little harder while using it and definitely more rewarding when I do better. It’s always more enjoyable using something so well designed and executed no matter what it is. I guess the bright side would be that you had the opportunity to compete and enjoy participating in the sport during it’s heyday.

Thanks for sharing,

Dan

The old cheap .22LR sporters are quite accurate when you found the cartridges they like. Paid $80 in the Fall of 2012 for this old vintage Stevens.

The verticle spread is because my eye sight isn't as good as I age so having a bit of difficulty with front sight focus while assuring a proper 6 o'clock hold.

Often times the younger set at the range smirk at an old man and his old rifles. That's until they see the target or hear the clang after clang with every cartridge fired when hitting the spinner from off-hand. They want to talk then. Just leave me alone.

Stevens%2520M83.jpg

Stevens%2520M83%2520-%2520CCI%2520Quiet-22.jpg

Last edited:
Back