Gun Show Amazement.

Went to a gunshow about an hour south of here. Saw two amazing things:

1. Unissued/unsharpened Robeson USN Mk2 with proper sheath.

2. Old Mercator. Had the man pull it from the case. Had a $10 tag on it (had the same tags on everything with the price on the tag). As soon as I verified it locked and was tight, I was about to give the man $10 when he ripped the tag off while the knife was still in my in my hand saying, "That's not the price. That's the price I paid for it." I responded with, "You're kidding? How much?" He said, "50 dollars". I simply walked away saying, "You're a piece of work" and never looked back. His character and integrity were pretty cheap.

Last edited:
That’s pretty darn ridiculous Pricing, I paid 20 for my Mercator That knife is going to sit there for two or three years in his possession and then he’ll mark it down to 25 or 30 bucks.

My hat's off to you leghog. I think I would have been a bit ruder to the guy. A real piece of work is way too under stating.

1. What was the asking price on the Robeson MK2s?
2. re: Mercator. That bait n switch was so completely lacking in subtlety to almost (almost) be funny. Geeesh! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Amazing Rudeness yes! From the boorish school of sales:D Or maybe he's a frustrated auctioneer, "did I hear 10 (thousand)" In some countries, it's illegal to display a product with a price and then demand another...

As a kid, my dad took me to a lot of gun shows. I'd look for knives and Dad would people-watch and eyeball old shotguns. It's sad to say, but not a show went by without at least one sour encounter with a "piece of work" dealer. Maybe it was a Florida thing.

-- Mark

Amazing Rudeness yes! From the boorish school of sales:D Or maybe he's a frustrated auctioneer, "did I hear 10 (thousand)" In some countries, it's illegal to display a product with a price and then demand another...

If he was any decent businessman and his claim that the sticker was the price he paid only there by mistake; he would go “oh that is ok, my mistake, $10 it is!”

2. Old Mercator. Had the man pull it from the case. Had a $10 tag on it (had the same tags on everything with the price on the tag). As soon as I verified it locked and was tight, I was about to give the man $10 when he ripped the tag off while the knife was still in my in my hand saying, "That's not the price. That's the price I paid for it." I responded with, "You're kidding? How much?" He said, "50 dollars". I simply walked away saying, "You're a piece of work" and never looked back. His character and integrity were pretty cheap.
I try to keep a positive attitude and give folks the benefit of the doubt (most of the time), but you're a better man than me, L leghog ! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'd have probably walked away, too, saying he was a piece of something, but I doubt if I'd have chosen "work" to complete the thought. :mad::thumbsdown:

Unfortunately there's rude wherever you look now a days. A sign of the times I guess.
Of course the porch is the exception.:)
Thanks for all you and Frank do to help keep it that way, Peregrin Peregrin !! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

1. Unissued/unsharpened Robeson USN Mk2 with proper sheath.

You can ask anything that you want. But don't do biz like that.

I get some great deals at gun shows. I got a Sunfish Forge warncliffe trapper in O1 for $250, started out at $350 ;) I got a homemade Robeson small stockman (frankenknife) for $25 and some good fixed blades. I go often, so some dealers know me and adjust their prices down, because they know I can leave most things on the table. But then they can also tell when I've got "knife fever" and then they get almost the full nut :)

Mercators made by Otter are ~$30+shipping at Knifecenter thus if it was new/old stock made by the "real" Mercator, it'd be worth closer to 50 than 10.

Then call me rude. The man was a piece of work.

Apparently honesty is rude nowadays.
Should have asked the shyster if had any old price gouges or useless old tools.
Doesn't matter what its worth .the price is written on the ticket. He would have done better to start at 80 and be haggled down to 50.
Inept or deceitful its one ir the other.

Back