Gun Show Amazement.

As I was reading that I toatally thought you were going to say that he ripped the tag off and just told you to take it or that it was actually $5. That’s a bummer he turned out to be the opposite of what I was thinking. Now you know for next time.

Had our booth set up at the local rodeo one year. I'd mismarked one of my customs by about $100. One of the rodeo judges stopped by and picked the knife off the table and said is it really only whatever? I looked at the tag and said it is now. He wanted the same knife but a different handle material so I took an order honoring my oops. He left I changed the tag and the next guy in bought that knife at the real price. I made that knife for the judge and he has since bought three or four others at the normal price. DO the right thing, it'll come back to ya, plus its the cowboy way.

That guy has probably still got that knife with his $50 tag on it.

I've seen many vendors at gun shows that have a few knives on display. Sometimes you'll find an item that underpriced, but most inflate the price because they have no idea of the value . Other vendors that walk around before the show opens, usually get the good deals.

At larger shows, I've seen makers and knife vendors displaying their wares. Those are the displays the I gravitate to.

Last edited:
I've had similar things happen at yard sales. The seller doesn't really know the value, but the see your interest and try to price up.

I have many times been looking at "rescue knives" at a yard sale, worth maybe $1 or less, and told the seller that I like to get older knives and clean them up a bit and get a little more life out of them. Sometimes the price suddenly becomes $20 for an old beat up Imperial out of a bin of detritus.

This almost happened to me onetime at a shooting range. I spotted a Cold Mustang (kind of like a baby 1911) it was priced at $300!!!! Crazy steal deal. I was shocked. I told them I would take it after I got done shooting. When I came back the gun was gone. The manager came out and explained that it was mismarked and he had bought it for $300. He offered to sell me the gun at $450 and give me a few shooting passes. I am a car salesman and had to talk the man into selling me the gun for the price it was marked. I still have that little fun and love it!!!

Back