Guns n Khuks - "trail guns" ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glock model 20. Since it's likely going to be sitting a holster the entire time, it might as well be something that's not going to rust easily. The most threatening thing I've ever had to dispatch with it were some unruly beer cans.

I have bumped into black bears a couple of times, always because I was being quiet for various reasons. (Which is precisely what one doesn't want to do around bears.) I never had anything heavier than a .22 LR at the time. Fortunately we always came to a mutally beneficial agreement - I ran screaming one way, the bear went screaming in the opposite direction, and we both lied to our friends about what happened.

I don't expect to be mauled by one (or a mountain lion for that matter, although I've been stalked by one that I know of for sure), but even animals make mistakes and accidents do happen. Best to be somewhat prepared.

I carried my Ruger Super S--t Hawk for awhile too. It now has a 6 and something inch barrel. It's called the Sh-t Hawk because it took me about 6 years to get it to shoot OK.

With small kids around it's easier to carry a semi auto with a stiff mainspring than a revolver. You gotta watch the revolver at all times. My kids can't yet pull the slide back on my two semi's. They leave the guns alone, but I'm worried anyway, of course.

munk

munk said:
I carried my Ruger Super S--t Hawk for awhile too. It now has a 6 and something inch barrel. It's called the Sh-t Hawk because it took me about 6 years to get it to shoot OK.

With small kids around it's easier to carry a semi auto with a stiff mainspring than a revolver. You gotta watch the revolver at all times. My kids can't yet pull the slide back on my two semi's. They leave the guns alone, but I'm worried anyway, of course.

munk

What was the problem with the Blackhawk? I've always wanted one in .30 carbine.

I haven't seen a link to Vdare in a long time. Salinas and Gilroy used to be kind of neat.

Illegal immigration is a dirty rotten secret no political party wants to touch. The libertarians aren't any better- wanting unilaterally open borders to the rest of the world.

There is now a single horrible light industrial barrio from Sacramento to San Diego. The State is bankrupt and leads the nation with onerous taxations, fees, and restrictions on basic rights- like firearms ownership.

It's a cesspool with strictly controlled natural features. A Park Ranger used to be someone who would hose the outhouse down, give a nature talk, and show the way to the trailhead. IN CA, he's an apperatik who wants to see if your PAPERWORK IS IN ORDER.

Everything is illegal. You can't move, can't walk out of doors at night, can't defend yourself, and Costs too bloody much to live in.

Their forests burned down in So Ca so because of grotesque environmental mismanagement in the name of Green. Now there is little habitat to protect.

Boxer comes from Ca. Feinstein comes from CA. Pelosi. They join their soulmates from the East Coast, Kennedy, Lautenburg, Shumur and present the worst face of America in elected office.

IN Ca I was a criminal- uncharged, unrepentant, who carried a firearm in his vehicle because I'd rather go to jail than see my family killed.

The only thing I miss is the Mojave desert, and they're working on screwing that up.

I was raised in Ca from the time I was five. I was the last of my family to get out.

munk

Super Redhawk 44, not Blackhawk. The 30 carbine is said to be loud, so wear protection. I love Blackhawks and Redhawks.

The bc gap was .009 The chambers were so large another 17 thousands and I'd have had a very nice and tight 45 Colt. The trigger pull was 12 pounds and 9 or 10 single action. It could not put any ammo, from either myself or a major manufacturer in anything resembling a group at 25 yards. Well, the group was a very large melon.

I got the gun to put to rest the myth of the 44. If you've noticed, I like the 41 All my friends said get rid of it- what a loser. But who could I sell it to in good conscience? So, years went by of trying to fix it. I tried everything. Ruger replaced something in it, don't recall what. My old journal probably has all the gory details.

Today I like the 44 with 300 gr bullets. Easy to shoot, behaves well on both ends, and accurate.

Despite all the trouble, I'd like to try once more with a Super Redhawk in 480
My SSHawk will do an inch at 25 yards with 300 gr bullets.

munk

I don't like .44's or even 357's that much. Too punishing to shoot a lot and I have to stay practiced to hit anything with a pistol. 40 caliber is nice to shoot.

RE: Immigration. I have nothing against it, but I wish we would cut the level in half. You are right in saying politicians won't touch it. That's because they both basically get their $$ from big business. There was a debate a while back about it within the Sierra club because so many members were concerned about destruction of the environment due to overpopulation. Actually the majority of people would favor reductions and greater enforcement, but both political parties won't do it because they want to pander to big business and continue to spend money out of the SS trust fund.

RE: California the more people you have somewhere the more stringent laws you have to have to curb their behavior. I don't see it so much as a liberal/conservative issue as a popluation issue. Another reason why we should try to reduce our population. I'm doing my part. ;)

Love semi-autos but end up carrying a wheel gun outdoors most of the time. Either a 2.5" Smith Model 19-3 .357 (blue), or my magna-ported Lew Horton 3" 629 stainless round-butt .44 Mag. Both are concealable and are good medicine for just about any outdoors critter.

Norm

Down here in south east Texas ain't much but snakes and small varmints. I usually take my S&W stainless Kit Gun in 32 Mag or a Luger in 30 Luger.

When I'm hunting with a long gun I don't normally carry a sidearm. When I'm not carrying a long gun my regular trail gun is a Colt Anaconda. During grouse season I keep the first two chambers stocked with handloads that are loaded to about 850 fps. The other four contain full power 240 grain JSP's.

My urban trail gun is usually a Glock 17 or a S&W 649, depending on the occasion. :cool:

hollowdweller said:
...I picked up a North American Arms Mini Master in 22 magnum...
I used to have a little North American .22LR with a 1" barrel. The cops stole it. I used to wear it on my belt buckle. I still have the belt buckle that it fit into. The cops were too stupid to know what that was so they didn't steal it.
I should put it on eBay, but I'm too lazy.

but both political parties won't do it because they want to pander to big business and continue to spend money out of the SS trust fund. >> Hollow

I know this travels back directly to your anti-capitalist 'Big Business did the Devil" philosophy, and it is true in part. But the real pandering today isn't about cheap labor anymore, it is about the voting block. And it is not SS being robbed- it is Californians who pay in social services.

<< California the more people you have somewhere the more stringent laws you have to have to curb their behavior. I don't see it so much as a liberal/conservative issue as a popluation issue. Another reason why we should try to reduce our population.>>> Hollow

And the problem with this point of view is it reduces it to merely a population issue. Hollow, it is an unassimulated population. It is a parasitic nation within our Nation. Did you follow the link to VDARE about Salinas?

If the more people you have the more you have to, 'curb their behavior' then you are not a libertarian at all, and we are not even on opposite sides of a basic movement- that of economic, political and personal freedom.

There are not many people outside of a border state who appreciate what is happening.

As for your firearm choice, I cant see anything better than the 30ish handguns you seek since you do not like the recoil of mag cartridges. The 30 Carbine would be a wonderful self defense and small game round.

munk

I don't disagree with what you are saying. I just dont agree ;)

I think with the Dems it's 60% Voting block 40% business contributions

With the GOP it's 60% business contributions and 40% voting block

It IS a population issue. Anytime you have as many people moving to the US legally and illegally as we have now(all time high I believe) there's no way they will assimilate.

I heard an interview with a fellow who said Pres Fox of Mexico at a conference in Mexico spoke of the "reconquest" of North America and that it was immigrants "patriotic duty" to speak Spanish. In the Mid East the Palestinians said "Arafat, we are fighting for you in the streets and our bedrooms"

If there was a labor shortage Wal Mart would probably be unionized now. Or at least have to pay more. I like the rhetoric: "They take the jobs US workers won't do" The reason US workers won't do them is they don't pay enough. If they paid more there would be a demand.

Show me one instance of a place with a great population density that doesn't have to have strict laws. I'm not saying I'm FOR that, I'm saying it's a reality. I'm not a liberal, or a libertarian, just a realist. Look at Iraq and Afghanistan for an example of what happens when you take the lid off. ;)

I think the interesting question is this: why do people in big cosmopolitan cities support more "liberal" measures as a rule than people living in less dense surburban and rural areas?

Chicago and New York both have strict gun policies. San Francisco looks like it may be joining them. On so many other issues, these big cities have tons of laws on their books regulating everything, big bureaucracies, huge numbers of people on the municipal payroll, massive numbers on various types of welfare schemes, etc.

When live ammo was excluded from Calif Vehicles weapons, it was done so forty years ago at the lobbying of the Ca Highway Patrol. Ca's pop was hardly a problem then, if it even is today. There is certainly enough Area to support the pop without restrictions.

If you do not trust the people who vote with firearms, why trust them to vote? I don't think they should be allowed to handle money. (!!)

Limits on freedom are driven by the convenience of bureacrats. Pop density is only a part, and often an excuse.

Laws about not having enough money in your wallet a pop density issue?

The Desert Protection act was drawn by zealots who had other motives- pop density was not harming the Vast Mojave around Joshua Tree.

Paying increased fees and lic costs to reimburse a government overstressed by unrecouped ILLEGAL immigration costs is not a pop density issue, it is a Border integrity, society security issue.

Have you ever lived in California, Hollow? I don't believe you could imagine the level of scrutiny and personal repression there unless you had.

And at any rate, you would have had to witness the loss of personal freedom over decades.

Most importantly, high density pop areas vote for Democrats, as do you. A kind of self fullfilling prophecy. Lets pass some more laws. We can't trust ourselves, we trust a central authority. I think as long as a Central authority protected the environment to your vision, Hollow, and let you smoke pot, you'd be happy.

When I moved West 10 years ago, the strangest thing happened when I was pulled over by a cop; I wasn't in trouble. I've been investigated many times by the Police in Ca for being in the wrong neighborhood.

When the LA riot came, the City council did not want to renew liq licences to Korean grociers, at the urging of Maxine Waters, because black men apparently would be powerless to resist if the liquor was available. That is classic Ca, and I'd like to know what pop density has to do with it?

In Montana, there are vast tracks of road without facilities and only modest traffic. In Calif, there are vast tracks of land without facilities, and modest traffic. (Try Highway 95 in the Mojave) Yet in the first, relieving yourself discreetly by the side of the road next to your auto is OK, and in Ca, a felony and given to many otherwise fine young men- a nice sex crime rap; indecent exposure.

No, this attitude is pervasive and evil- it is what we do to ourselves out of misguided intellect. 'there ought to be a law."

My friend Hollow, neither of us like all the provisions of the Patriot act. I think it safe to say we both believe the Terror crisis was used as an excuse for some of the inroads against individual rights. That is no more satisfying to me than hearing pop density created Ca. Doesn't make it right, does it?

munk

You didn't convince me ;)

And NO I wouldn't want to live in CA. But those people there voted in those laws. It's their right to do it I guess. Democracy. I do agree with you though that illegal and legal immigration places more of a burden on the citizens in order to keep wages low and profit high for business.

I could move to CA or DC or somewhere and double my salary doing the same job.

But could I step outside and crank a few rounds off my porch at the target on the hillside? Could I take a leak in my yard or set off fireworks? Could I walk 100 yards from my house and be hunting? And hunt without a license? AND have all my Senators and all but 1 of my congressmen be good Democrats who respect freedom but protect working people?

hollowdweller said:
I could move to CA or DC or somewhere and double my salary doing the same job.
You could, but you wouldn't be able to afford a decent house let alone as many acres as you have. Actually you're probably ten times better off where you are, good Democrats or no.:rolleyes: :p ;) :D

And it's all you, Hollow!! For if I'd stayed in Nitro, I don't believe I'd be a West Virginian Rastafarian Leftie.

munk

anything 9mm or bigger is fine.
9, 10, 40, 41, 45

Beretta Cougar
Sig Sauer (not synthetic frame)
SW 645
1911's I like, but I have never been able to afford the really nice ones.

I got my mom a 41 Charter arms bulldog target model in 41 mag. Its very light and not too loud or too much recoil.

I wonder if I have a nice 1911? It's a basic Springfield A2 or A1 or whatever. It's been ported and ramped, if you know what that means.

One of the early 1990's guns, I hope it has a forged frame from the US rather than one made in Brazil.

I didn't know Charter ever made a 41- the same model as the bulldog 44 special?

All this talk of the trail makes me want to hit the road and do some shooting.

The advantage of a big bore revolver is you can load them down to 1000 fps, have it shoot accurately and calmly, and still end most threats except for that Coastal Brown that chased the Duck.

munk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back