Gurkas techniques

I don't post on this forum much, but...

From everything I've heard the Gorkhas (British spell it 'Ghurkas', Nepalis spell it 'Gorkhas') don't have any set martial arts techniques they use with khukuris. They grow up using khukuris, so they tend to just know how to use them without any specific training. I have seen at least one thread on another khukuri forum here that talks about the "basics" as learned from a former member of a Gorkha unit, but any former Gorkha should be able to tell you the same things. All the techniques the gorkhas use are pretty basic. These guys (and well made khukuris) are just that darn good. :D

Ahhh, yes. The official khukuri training issue arises yet again. There is at least one old thread on this (PipeyCain's had 100+ mondo posts), and some of our Scot friends have actually solved it, complete with photos! Look for it and some other related threads.

The resolution is that there aren't any training manuals available to us, or any movies. But they do train with their khukuris, and have some sort of formalized movements done in groups, as the photos show. In fact, I even saw some footage of this on the NBC evening news last month. They were doing exactly what was shown in the pics, and also some drills using a reverse grip. (I wish I had recorded it.)

This somewhow hasn't gotten to be general knowledge yet among some khukuri enthusiasts.

Dan

Aye! Lt Dan. The Gurkhas do in fact have a training program. I have my sources in Catterick looking for a manual on Khukuri fighting,but the last time My friend asked a Gurkha about khukuri manual-he got a strange look from the Gurkha!!

Here is a awful vision: Imagine that you are a taliban fighter. You are whipping one of your wives because she revealed her face when her veil/hood thing slipped off. You look into the sky above you and see an AC-130 Spooky/Spectre gunship orbiting your house then the last thing you ever hear is that characteristic low rumble fron those 40-mm gatlin guns!!!!!!!!

In a recent interview with British WWII veteran and Jujitsu expert Frank Beatty, he mentioned that when he was stationed near Bombay with some Gurkhas, the main thing he saw them practicing was Tai Chi Chuan! That was his introduction to Tai Chi Chuan, and he has been teaching and practicing it ever since.

Originally posted by PipeyCain
Aye! Lt Dan. The Gurkhas do in fact have a training program. I have my sources in Catterick looking for a manual on Khukuri fighting,but the last time My friend asked a Gurkha about khukuri manual-he got a strange look from the Gurkha!!

Here is a awful vision: Imagine that you are a taliban fighter. You are whipping one of your wives because she revealed her face when her veil/hood thing slipped off. You look into the sky above you and see an AC-130 Spooky/Spectre gunship orbiting your house then the last thing you ever hear is that characteristic low rumble fron those 40-mm gatlin guns!!!!!!!!

The AC-130 has no 40mm Gatling! There isn't even *ANY* 40mm Gatling Gun in existance! I ought to know! *THE LARGEST* Gatling Gun *EVER* is a 30mm, the GAU-8A "Avenger", used by the A-10 "Warthog" Thunderbolt II...

Back