Gurkha House in Nicaragua

For those of you who didn´t know, I´m in Nicaragua on a humanitarian operation with my reserve unit. I´m here on a two week adventure, and am having loads of fun moving around the countryside. I´m working in an area called Esteli in the north of Nicaragua, and am having a blast. And of course, I brought a World War khukuri along for the ride. Of course, I only had it two days. Here´s the story:

Although I am a cannon cocker by training, I am working as a civil affairs officer, and am doing a lot of work with the Nicaraguan Army (they are providing our protection while we´re here). Two days ago, we needed to get a contract written and signed by local town officials in the ultra-tiny town of San Juan de Limay so the US Army engineers could build a new road to replace the one washed out by Hurricane Mitch. Fortunately for me, a Captain Lopez of the Nicaraguan Army helped round up the "usual suspects" for a meeting to get the agreement signed.

We have become friends, and after all the help he provided, I felt like giving him the World War, which had been in my ALICE pack since I got here. So I pulled it out, showed it to him, and told him about Gurkha House. When I told him the knife was for him, he almost started crying. Needless to say, we posed for some pictures together - him holding his new khukuri and me holding his AK-47.

When I return, I´ll post the picture in this thread, along with some other Nicaragua shots. Machettes are carried everywhere by the farmers in the area. They are of an interesting design with a flair at the tip for cutting grass - I´ll try to get a shot of this very ingenious design.

And for those of you who are wondering how I made this post - the US Army has some pretty high-speed equipment that leaves us Marines speechless. One of their toys is satcom internet access - in the middle of the mountains of Nicaragua! My wife has the helm right now, so thanks Marya for doing such a smash-up job.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Hi Craig,

Any stories on how the khukuri performs compared to a machete in the jungle environment.

Will

Web access in the field, must be nice. Boy, you guys have it soft these days...
biggrin.gif

Craig, if you can find out, please let me know which unit the Combat Engineers are from. I'm guessing it's going to be some of my brothers from the 20th Abn Eng BDE (27th, 37th and 30th BN's), and I want to wish them well.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

Craig,

Sounds like you're having a blast in Nicaragua. Next time you go off on an adventure like this, check with your commander and see if he could use a few extra volunteers. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the forum who would jump at a chance to head out for a couple weeks or so. Just a thought.........

Your gift to Captain Lopez has provided him with a knife, and sealed a friendship, both of which will endure long after your time there is over. It wasn't a grant from one faceless government to another. It was something tangible and sincere from a comrade in arms.

You've done more to advance diplomatic relations with this single act than could have been accomplished in a month by the whole diplomatic corps in Washington. You represented us and have provided a face to go with the name "American".

Well done my friend, and thanks.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

[This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 01 August 1999).]

Spark: the engineers were from the Ohio National Guard and a National Guard company out of Mississippi. I'm back now, or else I'd ask them which unit they were from exactly (but as you know, we Marines can never remember all those numbers
smile.gif
)

Blackdog: I'll post the pics when I get them back tonight.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Hi Craig,

Welcome back. I'm really looking forward to the pictures, and hopefully a few more "war stories" about your adventure in Nicaragua. I liked the one about the local "cuisine" and the pig in the other thread.

From reading the forums over the past 2 weeks, I can tell you Marya did an admirable job as Public Affairs Officer for GH in your absence. I'm sure she's glad to see your smiling face and would probably appreciate a really GOOD meal. Poor girl admited she was reduced to eating her own cooking. Next time you should leave her a few MRE's to tide her over.

My friend in Ohio got his Panawal. He told me yesterday that he's trimmed out all of the dead tree limbs in the neighborhood and is now looking for an old Boeing airliner to chop into sections. The man truly has Khukuri Fever.

Glad you're back.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

[This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 08 August 1999).]

Back