Gurkha House Pricing

While I've been gone, my wife has gotten a lot of questions about the price of our khukuris. Mainly, people have been asking why I sell hand-forged knives for the low price that I do. "Ninty bucks for a hand-forged, hand-engraved khukuri? You must be insane." (not an actual quote, but you get the idea). As one of my few dealers said (Peter Frye), if he forged a khukuri and was able to replicate the workmanship that comes out a kami's shop, he'd have to charge over $200 for the knife. The materials alone would cost him more than I'm selling the Service Number One for.

As you know, Nepal ranks as one of the poorest countries in the world. Of course, with this poverty comes an extremely low cost of living. Any one of us could move to Nepal and live like a king (or for that matter, to Nicaragua or any other poor country). And for a few dollars wages a day (which sounds like slavery from our US Perspective), a man can feed his family.

What I am unwilling to do is exploit the market disparity between the US and Nepal to the fullest extent possible: buy for third world prices and sell for full-value US Prices. If I did this, GH khukuris would sell for much more, and there would be fewer knives sold.

My philosophy is simple: by selling my knives for less than industrialized-nation prices, I'm increasing demand for them. By increasing demand, I'm buying more Khukuris from Khukuri House. More knives, more business for the kamis who make them. Of course, I benefit from this, as does every one of our customers.

Feel free to post comments about the above rambling - I'm always thirsty for feedback. I'm not looking for pats-on-the-back for being a noble guy or a smart-guy. I just want to explain our pricing structure to our growing family of GH owners.

Semper Fi,

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

You seem to have hit on a combination that works well for all concerned. The Kamis make a decent living at their profession, you make a profit by supplying a growing demand and we, the consumers, get a great knife at an affordable price. Don't change a thing.

While you're at it, please set a second Mini-Jungle aside for me. A friend at work wants to start with a Mini and work his way up. He thinks he'll be able to control his addiction that way. Let him dream. I sent you an e-mail about it.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

[This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 08 August 1999).]

Craig,

I was tickle pink to pick up a handless WW for a mere $40 - though next time I may just spring for the extra $ and get one with a handle on it (a lot less work on my part and instant gratification on using it immediately). I saw sings mini (which model I forget) and it was very nice for $40 (?). I refer to the GH Khukuris as "working pieces of art".
smile.gif

I will take those pics tonight and e-mail them to you.

I hate Mondays - I need MORE JAVA NOW!...LOL.

Ray 'md2020'

Back