Gurkha soldier's hat

Hi guys! After a period of relative inactivity due to ongoing pressure at work, I got hold of some new acquisitions. Besides a regulation khukuri (SN1) stamped NEPAL and dated 1998, I bought a book "The Gurkhas" by W B Northey & G J Morris, published in 1928 by John Lane The Bodley Head Ltd, London. Also a "Gurkha hat" which I will try to describe. It looks brand-new, is cylindrical in shape, made of a black felty material, with a red pom-pom on top in the centre, and a black patent leather chin strap. Seven inches in diameter and three inches high.

I'm crazy about the idea of having khukuri-related things in my collection (got the idea from JP when I saw his photos), and now at last I've got something. I'd be very grateful if someone could tell me more about the "Gurkha hat". Is it an officer's hat or that of an enlisted man? What does the uniform look like that goes with the hat? I pride myself for knowing a little bit about the khukuris themselves, but the accoutrements are still new to me. Shows you, you need to keep on learning!
:) By the way, if you were wondering: I've been away for a lengthy conference in the Kruger Natl. Park. That's our equivalent to your Yellowstone, I guess.

Gee, I hope the hat is Gurkha after all! No pics possible, unfortunately:(

Back