H.I. Skean Dhu?

Would anyone else besides me be interested in seeing a H.I. version of the famous Scottish boot blade, the Skean Dhu? <Sgian Dubh, if you ken the Gailge>. There is an important historical link between the Scottish Highlanders and the Ghurkas, after all. This seems like a natural to me. It is an important cultural heritage to the Scots, as the Khukuri is to the Nepalese. It would be the best of both worlds... The kamis can do this. Look at the Seax, it's Celtic/Norse. Somebody gave the kamis the idea. Have they ever done a Skean Dhu? Personally, I would pre-order 3. I have a sibling in a pipe & drum band and the Skean Dhu is a mandatory part of the getup. Cold Steel probably makes the best one available... but Sher or Kumar or Bura etc. could do one better, this I know. What do you think?

I believe I've actually thought about this, and I have a fairly standard answer.

"As long as it has a guard." This is essentially a stabbing knife, and a guard, while not strictly traditional perhaps, would be an asset.

John

Yes, Sarge does nice work...Speaking of him, has anyone heard how he's doing?? :confused:

I'm a Scot (well 1st gen American, anyway). Of course I want one! Especially with a stag handle. And a matching Dirk! And a Claymore. Prepay by PayPal.

Some of the family jewels:

Attachments

• Scottish_heirlooms.jpg
    Scottish_heirlooms.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 131
The Skian Dubh is offered by Wilkinson with numerous clan specific handles. Unfortunately most are plastic handled and do not have an edge.

I've wanted to make a highland dirk from a 17" bladed Wilkinson SMLE bayonnet, though.

Spectre said:
And Sarge, as usual, does great work. (Love his ebony-handled dagger!)

See the bottom knife, here? Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!

J
http://www.hunt101.com/img/094461.jpg

I have that knife, John, and it is THE most substantial sheath knife I've ever had. You could conquer the wilderness with it! Sarge sent it to Terry for a sheath and two and one half months later I saw the knife for the first time. The sheath is beautiful, but I hated waiting. :(

If you had to take just one knife, that might be it.

For general hunting, something smaller would be handier.

And the Axis deer handle must be the most dense material known to deer.

Kis

I could go for a Skean Dhu:) I carry the Cold Steel version in my boot just about every day. Actually, i just tied it in there one day for fun then forgot about it after awhile. Really handy little blade if you forgot your pocket knife (like that'll ever happen;)). Also, not a bad feeling to know that you have a pointy razor-sharp trick up your sleeve (or boot, respectively) for those unavoidable walks thru unfamiliar dark streets and allyways. If Kumar could make one half as well as he executed the kerambits, then they would be awesome.

Jake

I think they'd have a hard time with the handle. If you've noticed, handle variations are slim and difficult to pull off. The Kerambit was a fluke because it was full tang.

Not saying it can't be done. Just understand what you're up against.

A general bulb at the hilt, and one at the butt - would probably be ok. But all the fancy knotwork carving opens up the playing field, so to speak.....

Daniel Koster said:
I think they'd have a hard time with the handle. If you've noticed, handle variations are slim and difficult to pull off.
Dan,

The carved handle is one variation. The sgian-dubh in my pic above has a simple stag handle, with a plain Stirling pommel and simple guard. I'll take a better pic if I get some time later.

Quick search on google for sgian dubh:

dubh03.jpg

dubh01.jpg

Sgian%20Dubh-Daywear%202003.jpg

Staghorn-handle-Coronet-Sgian-Dubh.jpg

sgian_dubh.gif

sgian-large.jpg

garth-sgian-dubh.jpg

And finally:

officer_sgian_dubh_b.jpg

Quite interesting.....which variation is preferred?

Thanks for posting, Dan. Those are pretty good representatives. There's a wide variety of interpretation for finishing- antler, bone, wood. Some have a thistle motive and use a purple or amber colored real or fake gem. Maybe they could be left semi-finished, and clan-types here could have room left to put their own family signs, or Celtic knotwork.

Staghorn-handle-Coronet-Sgian-Dubh.jpg

When I worked at Hawkwood Fantasy faire, I wore this very one.
I made a dirk to match it with a blade from windlass steelcrafts and a big piece of horn.

The thing about these knives is that they have to be flat on one side and smooth, cause you wear them in your sock next to your calf.

They are very very similar in size and shape to a big karda, so I imagine this couldnt be much of a challenge for the kamis.

come to think of it, I dont really need those knives anymore, so if the kamis need models, id be happy to let them have them.

IF there's enough of a handle swell- and the blade is significantly less wide than the handle width- we could get by okay without a guard, like that black one towards the bottom, but without the fancy handle engraving.

John

they really dont have much of a grip, and they really are more for looks and serve as tools and last ditch weapons.

This is my stag handled model. One I think the kamis could do very well.

Attachments

• Skean-Dhu.jpg
    Skean-Dhu.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 70
Another nice "black blade" Rio Jim. You see too many cheap/ornamental ones for sale. I want a real one, and am convinced since it is close to a karda, the kamis could do it well. Even a Ghurka/Highlander edition.

Back