H.I. Skean Dhu?

Spectre said:
munk,

I don't remember if I ever showed you what a Sharpfinger looked like. One was my first fixed blade...
104154-03

The design is over 100 years old, and Schrade is now out of business.

John

I had one of these when I was younger. Funny, but it seems like I don't even see the knock-offs that much anymore...

Howard Wallace said:
If we want flat leather scabbards we should communicate that the knives are traditionally carried in a sock.
sock1.jpg

i had an image flash thru my head of a kami walking down the path to the sarki with a sock over his hand with a 2 lb. skean duhb in it. sarki says 'what the heck is that?' kami says 'i dunno, but thats the way they said they want to carry them.'

mebbe we should specify it is carried on the outside of the right leg, tucked into the rolled top of the sock.
kilt.jpg

kronckew said:
i had an image flash thru my head of a kami walking down the path to the sarki with a sock over his hand with a 2 lb. skean duhb in it. sarki says 'what the heck is that?' kami says 'i dunno, but thats the way they said they want to carry them.'

mebbe we should specify it is carried on the outside of the right leg, tucked into the rolled top of the sock.

he he he ...

You're absolutely right!

Sarge that is some good work..

hmm...A leather scabbard for belt carry?? not a problem

you could prolly do one yourself for around $10-$15 or pay someone like me around $20 for it...

Spectre...The sharpfinger is still one of my all time favorites for a belt knife...Small enough that the local fuzz doesnt decide to "talk" to ya, and yet big enough to do some damage if need be...First knife sheath I ever made was for one

Anyone got any idea on the final price of one of these?? I got a bud that is big into the scottish games here in NC everyyear and he would dig having one to show off

mebbe we should specify it is carried on the outside of the right leg, tucked into the rolled top of the sock.QUOTE]

Darn it now I gotta learn a cross draw ! They must be some tough socks to hold up a two pound knife ! L:O:L

dwatts67 said:
I have collected skein dhu's for 15 years or so and have never seen one with a leather/wood sheath. have any examples?

--Dave

Once again I learn that I have been mislead :eek:

http://mcdonaldcrafts.co.uk/skeandhu.htm
http://www.tartantown.com/dress_skean_dhus.html
http://www.sgian-dubhs.co.uk/Highland-Clans-Own-Sgian-Dubhs.html
Leather covered wood with chapes no less.
http://www.dunnoon.co.uk/scottish_kilts/scottish_kilts_skeandhus.php
eBay

Here's mine:
IM002079.JPG

I'm so ashamed :barf:

Here's one I waiting for in the mail:
36_1.JPG

At least we aren't going for a kami made Highlander Katana:eek:

120-300BK.jpg

jmings said:
Once again I learn that I have been mislead :eek:
At least we aren't going for a kami made Hilander Katana:eek:

Oh the possibilities...
those kamis come up with strange and wonderful things ;)
cheers,
Dave

Those Scottish socks that go with the kilt are 1/2" thick wool- you could probably carry a .45 in them.

Ad Astra :D

Ad Astra said:
Those Scottish socks that go with the kilt are 1/2" thick wool- you could probably carry a .45 in them.

1/2 inch thick ? :confused:

Maybe slip a katana in....:D

Ad Astra said:

I,m a big fan of wool socks and wear them even in summer . I,ll have to go to a Scottich mens store and see if I can scare up a pair ! 1/2 inch thick ? Well if I wore a kilt I,d want thick socks as well !

According to the post office, the sgian dubhs should arrive in Reno on Thursday, so the train has left the station. :thumbup: :D

Sarge

Thank you, very much, Sarge.

Now...the good thing about waiting is that the time just FLIES by.

Really decent of you to design and construct both the three prototypes and the sheathes.

Be well and safe.

Uh Kis, no rest for the weary, "somebody" just sent me some more of them antique Johnson files, and an agricultural artifact that's really got me scratching my head. :D

Some of my buddies departed for Afghanistan this morning, at the usual time "oh dark thirty". I think I need a nap. :eek:

Folks, please keep them, and all our service men and women in your prayers. Your prayers are much needed and much appreciated.

Sarge

I think:

Harrow
The spike-tooth harrow is used to break up soil into even finer pieces after the farmer has plowed and disked the field. The harrow also helps level the soil for planting. Heavy stones are usually placed on the harrow to keep the spikes in the soil when unfavorable soil conditions exist.

Kevin?
You made me curious, so I did a little searching:

Main Entry: 1har·row
Pronunciation: 'har-(")O
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English harwen, from Old English hergian
archaic : PILLAGE, PLUNDER

Kismet said:
I think:

Harrow
The spike-tooth harrow is used to break up soil into even finer pieces after the farmer has plowed and disked the field. The harrow also helps level the soil for planting. Heavy stones are usually placed on the harrow to keep the spikes in the soil when unfavorable soil conditions exist.

I wonder if that is where the expression "It was a harrowing experience " came to be and if it the person survived to let us know or if it was an innocent bystander who coined the phrase ?

Astrodada said:
So the skean dhu is a farmers' knife as well ? :eek:

Astro, I'm sure Scottish farmers probably did carry them back in the day, but what's actually going on here is a bit of cross conversation. Kis sent me a harrow blade, his way of keeping this retired dude busy scratching his head wondering what to make next. Right now I'm thinking it might make a couple of nice spear points, but that's just an off the cuff first impression. :D

Sarge

Right now I'm thinking it might make a couple of nice spear points

OOH! OOH! I was just thinking last night that I really should get a yari. Let me know if you need a beta-tester. :D

John

Back