Hacked in NY

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Nothing like getting an email from your credit card company alerting you that there was a fraudulent charge against your card, while I appreciate their diligence in contacting me, it never the less was numbing to see this email, in fact I thought at first it was a spam type email until I went directly to my card company to see what was going on and was told I had to get a NEW card immediately.

Now, the charge was not a high dollar amount, just over lucky $13, probably just a testing type thing to see if it worked. But that puts me off Texas Chicken Burgers, of which I have never heard of but won't go looking for them any time soon. Not that they did anything, just was where it happened.

NOW I need to go and update a few places that I do use this card, luckily I do not use on line stuff much if at all, for this very reason.

I've had this company's card now for many many years, about 39 or so and never had this happen, fortunate I suppose?

Sorry for the rambling, but people ask why I don't use online credit type stuff and I just say I am old fashioned, or maybe...just old ;)

End of 'rant', please continue with your pleasant evening :)
G2

Sorry to hear Gary! It's definitely frustrating seeing that happen, a few years ago it happened to my wife a couple of times in a span of 6 or so months, we do shop online a lot but only to the big retailers usually which we thought were safe.

Come to find out someone in our local area got busted for putting card reading machines on the local gas pumps at various gas stations and one my wife frequented was on the list.

I'd say once in every 39 years is pretty lucky in this day and age.

Thanks, it's nerve racking to say the least, and I do feel lucky that it hasn't happened until now. I've heard horror stories through the years of such things and I guess that was what keeps my on line presence low or at low as I can get.

G2

Come to find out someone in our local area got busted for putting card reading machines on the local gas pumps at various gas stations and one my wife frequented was on the list.

I knew a guy whose job was driving around to different Chevrons and performing maintenance on the card readers; he'd also check for fraudulent card readers. He said that you can usually just pull the card readers out of the machine if they're installed by scammers, so his advice was to give gas pump card readers a little pull before using them.

I knew a guy whose job was driving around to different Chevrons and performing maintenance on the card readers; he'd also check for fraudulent card readers. He said that you can usually just pull the card readers out of the machine if they're installed by scammers, so his advice was to give gas pump card readers a little pull before using them.

Yep that's what the local news said, just pull on the reader and if it pops out bam you got a scam going.

Wife would have never thought of that in a million years though.

Has happened to us a couple of times. First time it was a couple small test charges, but second time they skipped that and went right for the high dollar stuff.

That’s a tough thing for sure!

most places I use it is at Amazon and Home Depot and Lowe’s and a couple “reputable” knife dealers but less and less lately
G2

Thanks and yes fortunate this time and extra caution going forward!
G2

Bummer. My sister had some one order 30k worth of diamonds. (Two stones) mailed to an address in Chicago. Items showed delivered to owner of address. Owner of address claimed they never ordered or received anything. Description if the "owner" who took delivery on front step did not match the old couple.

Sister immediately locked the card. The credit card company told her some one might call her to reactivate the card pretending to be her....

After talking to them, she got a call claiming to be the credit card loss prevention team. They said if she did not approve new charges to catch crooks red handed she would be liable for the original 30k and subject to arrest. She let them know the real credit card company said he would try that.

He cursed her out. Hung up. A bit later her electricity, home phone, garbage, water etc were shut off.

Scammers had every single bit of info, including all the password challenge questions etc....

She had to spend the time getting all her services turned back on.

Luckiky not liable for the charges.

I hope I never have ro deal with any of this.

Another family friend had a call from his bank asking about the 1milliion plus real-estate purchase he had just applied for in TX...... he had never been to TX, luckiky they called him about the unusual purchase.

Hell, I've had my credit card freeze my account temporarily when I bought a few phones, and they rang the purchases up separately. Took me 45 minutes to fix just to get the stupid phones.

Yep that's what the local news said, just pull on the reader and if it pops out bam you got a scam going.

Wife would have never thought of that in a million years though.

I do this at every gas station and atm I use.

I also only use the card as a credit and use zip code rather than debit with pin number. That way, if there is a well glued reader, they don't get my pin.

YIKES
That’s a terrible thing to have to go through! Thanks for sharing that sad tale

I am pretty spartan in how I go about stuff especially now that I am retired.

my knife collection has been reducing more and more and I have about what knives I think will stick around

G2

Bummer. My sister had some one order 30k worth of diamonds. (Two stones) mailed to an address in Chicago. Items showed delivered to owner of address. Owner of address claimed they never ordered or received anything. Description if the "owner" who took delivery on front step did not match the old couple.

Sister immediately locked the card. The credit card company told her some one might call her to reactivate the card pretending to be her....

After talking to them, she got a call claiming to be the credit card loss prevention team. They said if she did not approve new charges to catch crooks red handed she would be liable for the original 30k and subject to arrest. She let them know the real credit card company said he would try that.

He cursed her out. Hung up. A bit later her electricity, home phone, garbage, water etc were shut off.

Scammers had every single bit of info, including all the password challenge questions etc....

She had to spend the time getting all her services turned back on.

Luckiky not liable for the charges.

I hope I never have ro deal with any of this.

Another family friend had a call from his bank asking about the 1milliion plus real-estate purchase he had just applied for in TX...... he had never been to TX, luckiky they called him about the unusual purchase.

Hell, I've had my credit card freeze my account temporarily when I bought a few phones, and they rang the purchases up separately. Took me 45 minutes to fix just to get the stupid phones.

Jeez...that's like full-blown identity theft:eek:

Sorry to hear about this. All I can suggest is keeping a very close eye on your financial affairs.

I really appreciate technology in a lot of ways but this is the ugly dark side. I was one of those people who never did any online banking or shopping for fear that I would have a problem eventually. Back around 2012/2013, I received a collection letter from eBay for charges that I knew nothing about. Great, my account was compromised, even though my actual account didn't show any charges. Then there was the Equifax, Home Depot and T-Mobile breaches. It was at this point I learned that no matter how careful I was with my info, all of these morons are storing my info and are unable to secure it. There is absolutely nothing anybody can do about it. With this being the case, I now make my life easier by doing almost everything online since I've lost any ability to safeguard my information anyway. As time has gone by, I have had 2-3 cases where I try to swipe my card and it gets declined only to find out I have yet again had my info compromised. I always check for skimmers and finally gave gave up on paying at the pump years ago. I won't even use an ATM anymore and deal directly with a teller every time I have business at the bank- it has gotten that bad. Fortunately, I have never been in a situation where I was responsible for the fraudulent charges and I have a few cards so I am never totally hosed when this happens although I am inconvenienced while I get everything resolved. That is the only positive I can think of- I've had to deal with this so many times, I am very good at getting it resolved quickl since I know the steps. File a police report and IDTheft.gov report, contact the merchant where the fraud occurred and the credit card company, send certified letters to the merchant with affidavit, police report, demand all records related to the fraudulent account and of course the all important FCRA 609(e) form. How sad is it that I know this?

Every couple years I have to put out fires. It has been quiet for awhile since I've frozen all of my credit reports but I did apply to a Credit Union a few months back that required me to thaw my credit reports. I thawed them for only 3 days and within 2 weeks of that, I received a debit card from a bank that I don't do business with. If that weren't messed up enough, I then found some information where the person whom requested this debit card had set up an online payment portal to obviously defraud people financially using my name and address.

The good news is that no new credit cards were issued in my name over those 3 days and I got the online payment portal shut down. The bad news is that somebody obviously has all of my info that allowed them to open an account that issued the debit card. Since credit reports (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) aren't required to open bank accounts, cell phone accounts, accounts for utilities, or get medical care, car insurance, etc., I knew there must be other avenues that I haven't locked down yet. After communicating with the bank where the debit card was issued, it was confirmed that my SSN had to be given on the application to get the debit card. After this last scenario, I started plugging every hole I could find concerning my info online. As of today, you can Google my name and get nothing useful in return other than people with similar names. There was one particular website that I demanded info purged from that showed all of my personal info from 1989 on, every address, phone number and employers w/ annual income over the last 30 years. This website even showed the VIN numbers of my 2 current cars. Scary, especially since I don't remember anyone asking permission to have all of this information online for everyone to see. It's not like I was on the dark web when I found this website, these are websites that everyone can access for free.

This last issue was especially severe so I did some research and found that there was way more places and entities that I needed to contact to hopefully get this under control for the long term. The 3 credit reporting agencies are just the very tippy top of the rabbit hole.

Passwords.
Don't make them about anything that you ever post about on any social media.
Don't base them on family names.
Don't depend on the standard substitutions of "1" for "i", or "0" for "o", or "@" for "a"
Make them at least 12 characters long.
Pay particular attention to the password on your recovery email account. The one where sites send password reset info.

Challenge Questions-

Make them about stuff that nobody can look up.
Make them into a code: "Your Father's middle name?" Make the answer his favorite food instead. Ans: Lobster. The system does not evaluate your answer. The system just records whatever you answer you give when you set it up.

Passwords.
Don't make them about anything that you ever post about on any social media.
Don't base them on family names.
Don't depend on the standard substitutions of "1" for "i", or "0" for "o", or "@" for "a"
Make them at least 12 characters long.
Pay particular attention to the password on your recovery email account. The one where sites send password reset info.

Challenge Questions-

Make them about stuff that nobody can look up.
Make them into a code: "Your Father's middle name?" Make the answer his favorite food instead. Ans: Lobster. The system does not evaluate your answer. The system just records whatever you answer you give when you set it up.

This right here is valuable information to live by.
Also, never have 2 factor authentication codes sent by text to your phone.

Someone tried to steal my identity. One of the accounts they tried to open was Lowe’s. The Lowe’s team took care of EVERYTHING.... even the other fraudulent cards they tried to open/steal!!
I love Lowe’s now!!

Back