Had a issue with new sebenza. Questions

So I noticed my Sebenza that I received yesterday had a bit of side to side play when fully locked and a lot of side to side play when lock bar was disengaged. So I took it apart like 6 times to try to get it right. Finally I decided to inspect the washers really well with a magnifying glass. The small washer had a small raised area right on the edge. I polished it down and everything is as it should be now. Knife is stiff but it hasn't been broken in yet. My question, is this common? How long does is take to break it in? Not easy to deploy but has a very fluid motion and solid sounding lock up.
Thanks in advance

The washer issue I think is very unusual, BUT it sounds like your action is typical for a Sebenza. They are known for a slower, super smooth "hydrolic" feeling action. If by "not easy to deploy" you mean, not fast/flicky, that is as intended. Break in for Sebenza's genrally means even smoother action, speed isn't a design consideration with them.

The washer issue I think is very unusual, BUT it sounds like your action is typical for a Sebenza. They are known for a slower, super smooth "hydrolic" feeling action. If by "not easy to deploy" you mean, not fast/flicky, that is as intended. Break in for Sebenza's genrally means even smoother action, speed isn't a design consideration with them.
Not looking for fast deployment. Just want to be able to open it without breaking my thumb lol

Got Yah...In my experience 50% of that is the conical studs, the other 50% is pushing stud at the right angle. Its been a while since I owned my 25, but IIRC I hade to press my thumb differently that with alot of my other folders. I just can;t remeber how. I think it was more in line with the handle than angled out....but I'm not sure.

I had a washer like that also, on my damascus 21. It was just a little raised nub at the edge. I put that side of the washer toward the blade so that the movement of the blade would wear it down nice and even, and more importantly, flat.

I just carried and worked the knife over and over while watching tv, reading the forum, etc. it smoothed right out and is breaking in nicely. I noticed that the lockup was much tighter after recently taking it apart to clean it and putting it back together. The slight side to side play was mostly all gone, but that also has to do with the lockbar and tang wearing together.

All of my Sebenzas have had a slight side to side while the lockbar was held free of the blade, 21’s and a 31 so I think that aspect can be called normal.

Just keep working it open and closed. Don’t count, but get close to 37,500 and then take it apart to clean it and with some fresh lube, it should feel like butter.

I had a washer like that also, on my damascus 21. It was just a little raised nub at the edge. I put that side of the washer toward the blade so that the movement of the blade would wear it down nice and even, and more importantly, flat.

I just carried and worked the knife over and over while watching tv, reading the forum, etc. it smoothed right out and is breaking in nicely. I noticed that the lockup was much tighter after recently taking it apart to clean it and putting it back together. The slight side to side play was mostly all gone, but that also has to do with the lockbar and tang wearing together.

All of my Sebenzas have had a slight side to side while the lockbar was held free of the blade, 21’s and a 31 so I think that aspect can be called normal.

Just keep working it open and closed. Don’t count, but get close to 37,500 and then take it apart to clean it and with some fresh lube, it should feel like butter.
I'm hoping because right now it takes 2 hands to open. The word is stiff. I mean it has that hydraulic feel but its very stiff from begging to end.

I've found that using the pad of my thumb (where the fingerprint is) is both less painful and easier to open the knife.

I too had an issue with a new Damascus blade 31, The washers looked like hell! I replaced them, good to go now. I have never tried to polish the washers but maybe this is a set that could use a very fine touch. She works like a champ now, Just got another 31 yesterday and it seems to be dang near perfect. :) Good luck with your knife, I'm sure it will serve you well.

I too had an issue with a new Damascus blade 31, The washers looked like hell! I replaced them, good to go now. I have never tried to polish the washers but maybe this is a set that could use a very fine touch. She works like a champ now, Just got another 31 yesterday and it seems to be dang near perfect. :) Good luck with your knife, I'm sure it will serve you well.
I'm curious to know where you got replacement washers from and what size you went with since I might be doing this on my 21s in the future.

Is it stiff because of the lockbar or is it stiff in the pivot? What model do you have? ( Asking for everyone else in the forum ).
It's a one hand opening knife not a two hander. Is it hard for you to break the detent? Could be your technique, but my 21 is pretty easy to open and you shouldn't struggle to the point it takes two hands to open. Try to apply the pressure to the side of the thumbstud as you open it to avoid sore thumb. Can loosen it a bit or send it in.

My thoughts really quick...

1.When you remove material from anywhere, things get looser and not tighter.
2. You said it had side to side play and that is why you took it apart. Is it safe to assume it opened ok before the first disassembly?
3. You also disassembled it many times. Did the action stay good until the final assembly after removing the burr?

This is such a classic case of pinched washer. How did you assemble it?
People are right that the lock bar drags a lot more when new and the pivot sometimes comes rather snug and can loosen up with use.
Nothing you should do will make it a two hand knife.
Disassemble yet again and post pictures of the blade side of both washers.
If you can, do a top down pic with it assembled and see if you can observe the gap if the washer is pinched.

My thoughts really quick...

1.When you remove material from anywhere, things get looser and not tighter.
2. You said it had side to side play and that is why you took it apart. Is it safe to assume it opened ok before the first disassembly?
3. You also disassembled it many times. Did the action stay good until the final assembly after removing the burr?

This is such a classic case of pinched washer. How did you assemble it?
People are right that the lock bar drags a lot more when new and the pivot sometimes comes rather snug and can loosen up with use.
Nothing you should do will make it a two hand knife.
Disassemble yet again and post pictures of the blade side of both washers.
If you can, do a top down pic with it assembled and see if you can observe the gap if the washer is pinched.
Upon closer inspection I did indeed pinch the small washer when I reassembled it after polishing the burr. So I wasted time polishing it. I dont know how I could be so careless. So im sending it to CRK because I was stupid.

Accidents happen, don't be too hard on yourself. I read about it enough before I bought one that the issue was engrained in my mind. I assemble everything and slide the blade and washers in last, it's the only way to be sure.

When my time comes, however it be, I'm making a set. It's ridiculous we are helpless when it comes to this part. The id needs to be close to exact. The od for each needs to be close. The larger one could be bigger, it's the smaller one that has to clear the lock bar. I am sure I can find the right id and od with a close enough thickness that I can lap to the final thickness.

I have enough 21's to know the washers are NOT aerospace tolerances. (Please don't tell the others, they freak out.) Some of mine came to tight for my liking. I took the washers to ~6k diamond films on glass that's nice and flat. The polished areas are all over the place. Sometimes it is the outer edge only, other times it's the inside only. Other washers have random high and low spots all over. I am sure with all my being I can make a set. I am not all that skilled compared to the many craftsmen here. I do not see how no one has made their own. I don't care about all the speed holes, solid washers are fine with me. I think the punching of the holes is what warps some washers.

I
Accidents happen, don't be too hard on yourself. I read about it enough before I bought one that the issue was engrained in my mind. I assemble everything and slide the blade and washers in last, it's the only way to be sure.

When my time comes, however it be, I'm making a set. It's ridiculous we are helpless when it comes to this part. The id needs to be close to exact. The od for each needs to be close. The larger one could be bigger, it's the smaller one that has to clear the lock bar. I am sure I can find the right id and od with a close enough thickness that I can lap to the final thickness.

I have enough 21's to know the washers are NOT aerospace tolerances. (Please don't tell the others, they freak out.) Some of mine came to tight for my liking. I took the washers to ~6k diamond films on glass that's nice and flat. The polished areas are all over the place. Sometimes it is the outer edge only, other times it's the inside only. Other washers have random high and low spots all over. I am sure with all my being I can make a set. I am not all that skilled compared to the many craftsmen here. I do not see how no one has made their own. I don't care about all the speed holes, solid washers are fine with me. I think the punching of the holes is what warps some washers.
I'm upset with myself but I do agree with you. I assembled the handle and was careful when I slid the blade in but that damn small washer still got pinched. It seemed to fit around the pivot just fine. I dont think the washer was perfect by any means but its still my mistake.

Upon closer inspection I did indeed pinch the small washer when I reassembled it after polishing the burr. So I wasted time polishing it. I dont know how I could be so careless. So im sending it to CRK because I was stupid.

If you’re sending it in, ask them to fit a second pair of washers for you...just in case. ;)

I did once manage to straighten a very lightly pinched washer. I’ve also completely destroyed one while trying.:p

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
But there's one thing I don't understand; and that's assembling the whole handle assembly first, then
sliding the blade, pivot, washer assembly in last.
Doesn't it make more sense, and safer from a washer pinching perspective, to lay the handle lock bar side down first and build the knife up like that? Could somebody explain why it isn't?
Thanks

But there's one thing I don't understand; and that's assembling the whole handle assembly first, then
Doesn't it make more sense, and safer from a washer pinching perspective, to lay the handle lock bar side down first and build the knife up like that? Could somebody explain why it isn't?
Thanks
Its how you are supposed to assemble it according to CRK. They show you in the video. Its actually a great way to assemble it. You just have to be careful. I wasn't careful enough.

Thanks
That's how I put my Sebenzas back together. I've tried it the way CRK recommends, and it's a PITA for me to get everything lined up correctly.

That's how I put my Sebenzas back together. I've tried it the way CRK recommends, and it's a PITA for me to get everything lined up correctly.
You aint lying. I even held the washers together as the CRK video tells you to and I still f'd up. The small washer wasn't perfect to begin with so I dont know if it even fit properly to begin with seeing how there was blade movement before I ever even took it apart.

Back