Hafting question

I'm new to installing handles on axes. I've read about it and watched some videos on it.

I have questions and I hope someone can help.

When I fit a handle into a head should I attempt to have a very snug fit? If I do the slot for the wedge gets pushed together and this makes driving the wedge in difficult as there is no space for it. Should I enlarge the thickness of the slot or thin the wedge?
On a double bit I see that a lot of the time the haft fits snugly at the ends of the eye and not the center of the eye. This makes driving the wedge difficult, the wedge is the right size for the center area of the eye but not the ends of the eye where the fit is already tight.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Can anyone suggest a video to watch or something to read?

That slot is called the kerf. It should not be pinched tight when you insert the haft into the eye. Try using a rasp to shave the tighter areas. Another thing you can do is to fit the wedge to the kerf. If it's tight on the ends then sand the wedge in those areas down for a more even fit. And try fitting your wedge to the eye without the haft in. Verify that the wedge fits well in the eye.

Yes, when you insert the haft into the axe eye there should some room on both sides at the top of the head. So you can get the wedge started. Premeasure the wedge to the kerf to make sure it goes all the way down. If the eye is a bit wide for the haft you can glue in a shim on each side. Many old ax heads don't fit today's American made handles. They have a larger eye. Good luck and welcome to the Ax forum. There are knowledgeable guys here that will help you with this project. DM

Back