Off Topic Half a second of inattention

Sorry I haven't been around much lately guys my family just got through doing a big move to Costa Rica. We have been pretty busy setting up the new home and getting things settled in our new life. About two weeks ago I was talking to my Wife and looking at my Kukuris at the same time, huge mistake as my concentration was on the conversation. While sliding a Bura AK into a leather sheath my right hand (non dominant) lost its grip and slid forward. This had the effect of slicing my index and pinkie fingers of said right hand fairly deep. As the blood pooled on the floor all I could do was look at my bride and say "I'm sorry." because we both knew this meant stitches...in a new country.
Cool part was our taxi guy brought his wife and she called ahead to the clinic on our way there because she knows the Doc. So I got rushed right in and besides the squirting blood up to my shoulder and Lidocaine shots (they stung) it went really smooth. 45 minutes and 11 stitches later I was out the door with a prescription for antibiotics and anti-inflammatory pills. The big bonus was almost no pain and I could move my fingers fine with no numbness! I took the stitches out on day 10 and have had zero seeping or re-opening. Considering all that could have happened I feel very blessed!
Anyway we all love the play with our blades so I just wanted to share my goof with you, kinda just a reminder. Stay safe guys!!!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qZ8u2HmRXfO9m5zA3 Obligatory pics ;)

EYeeeeWWW!!! Ouch! Glad your feeling better RF! Your not the only one and prolly not the last. I left a Chitlangi on my lap while watching TV and forgot about it till I got up. Got me nice hole in my foot for that!
Enjoy Costa Rica. My parents retired there near San Jose. They loved it. Id love to visit there someday. Enjoy your Khuks there! Did you have any problem getting them there?

EYeeeeWWW!!! Ouch! Glad your feeling better RF! Your not the only one and prolly not the last. I left a Chitlangi on my lap while watching TV and forgot about it till I got up. Got me nice hole in my foot for that!
Enjoy Costa Rica. My parents retired there near San Jose. They loved it. Id love to visit there someday. Enjoy your Khuks there! Did you have any problem getting them there?
Wow, they are less than 30 miles from me! We are up it the mountains and loving it :)
No prob in shipping my collection, just put them in the container and they got thru fine.

Thank the Man Upstairs your injuries were not any worse! Hope you heal quickly and completely.

Suddenly struck me Dr. Bookie was injured in a similar fashion not long ago.

Guess we needs to stay focused when near sharp pointy things.

Is it me, or did anyone notice the dragonfly on your finger? Hope that wasn’t in the hospital.

Naw, it was our living room. As I took the picture he just decided to land there! I thought it was cool :)

I didn't notice the link to the pictures before. I was wondering where the heck the dragon fly was.

Got cha pretty good, does look like it's healing up nicely, that's a good thing.

Right now it's just two small scabs, this has been a huge blessing! So much worse could have happened, I have full movement and no numb spot :)

1. Glad you got through that with no follow-on problems!
2. Give us a review of the move from stateside to there, and the planning it took :)
I don't want much...

Dino in Reno

Lol, well it was about six years of research and lots of time on the Google! I obtained a full pension from the Fire Department where I had worked (3 years in the Army/22 years on the Department) and knew 2017 was the goal year. We contacted layers down here and got all the paperwork from the states to apply for a Pensionado residency. Also because there are four of us (Wife and two kids) I opted to have a 20' container shipped full of our stuff....my family were happy and excited to move so it was worth it for them to keep familiar things. Then we sold our house and moved into a rental, sold everything else in 2 huge garage sales. Then it was the dogs (4)...they were much harder to get the paperwork just right. Most vets don't have experience with the USDA requirements or airline stipulations.
Anyway long story short--er ;) we did our research, talked to expats here that we could trust and did a lot of praying. So on November 30th my family and flew out of Miami and landed in San Jose Costa Rica. Our taxi guy met us with two rigs (bags and dogs) and we drove up into the mountains to the house that our expat friends had found for us and 3 days later our container was delivered and unloaded.
It was a ton of work and completely worth it! Don't get me wrong, I love my country but it was time to have some new adventures ;)

RockFarm

Can you provide info on the handle of your Kuk? I love my HI Kuks, but I don't care for the handles.

Thanks

Sure thing, when I got this Bura it had no handle only a stick tang. The grip was a composite of linen and epoxy, wrapped around the tang like a homemade micarta with a steel butt plate to peen the tang too. After shaping the grip it was covered in Stingray hide, help in place with gorilla glue....this was done in 2008 or 2009 and has held up great.

Back