Half Stop or Not?

I have lots of traditionals both with and without, but would choose to have a half stop if given the choice. It is just one of those many little details that you can create a preference for when you design your first custom:)

I have no strong feelings either way, though I do love 'square and clean' joints on old knives. All folding knives originally had square tangs, rounding them was a way of reducing wear on the spring which causes the point of the blade to raise up in the frame, and eventually become slack. Pistol grip hafts, often seen on old knives, were another way of covering the raising point of the knife, allowing it to be pocketable for longer. Round tangs were an innovation of French cutlers, and cutlery historian Simon Moore playfully speculates that Sheffield cutlers were slow to adopt the rounded tang, realising that it would lead to them selling less knives! :rolleyes: Since steel is run harder now, and few folks use their knives really hard, with most of us owning more than one, we don't really see the technical advantage of a round tang anymore.

I like half stops partly because I appreciate the design and fabrication effort that goes into creating the feature, particularly when they include a flush backspring in all three positions. On the other hand, my nails are getting a bit brittle and opening can be a harrowing experience! I get a bit of "fingernail whiplash" when the blade suddenly snaps to the half stop and then abruptly stops. Sometimes I will ease the blade about a quarter open and then pinch it to move it to the half stop, then pinch it the rest of the way open. Still, I think the half stop adds a touch of elegance to a knife.

I have no strong feelings either way, though I do love 'square and clean' joints on old knives. All folding knives originally had square tangs, rounding them was a way of reducing wear on the spring which causes the point of the blade to raise up in the frame, and eventually become slack. Pistol grip hafts, often seen on old knives, were another way of covering the raising point of the knife, allowing it to be pocketable for longer. Round tangs were an innovation of French cutlers, and cutlery historian Simon Moore playfully speculates that Sheffield cutlers were slow to adopt the rounded tang, realising that it would lead to them selling less knives! :rolleyes: Since steel is run harder now, and few folks use their knives really hard, with most of us owning more than one, we don't really see the technical advantage of a round tang anymore.
Great post Jack. Very informative.

Clay

What a great conversation so far! All of your input is really useful and some of the background information is super interesting. (Looking at you, Jack!)

I've decided to pull the trigger and snagged a 35 in tidioute trim and maroon linen micarta covers. Should be a great user to last for years!

This'll be my first micarta covered/handled knife ever. I can't wait for it to develop a bit of a patina, and it should be more stable over me lifetime than a natural material like wood or bone, right? I'm excited to see how it wears.

Never fully understood the appeal of half stops. As i'm manipulating my #15 crown lifter i realize i am changing hand positions on the knife when it hits the half stop. I don't have a cam tang in my pocket today to compare.
Mechanically, however, it seems easier to design a square tang than it would a cam tang. To qoute a favorite youtube reviewer, "but what do i know, i'm just some jackass on the internet".

All slip joints should be half stops! I wish all mine did I have a GEC and don't know how I lived without a half stop before! They are great when closing so you don't just slam/snap the blade closed. Don't want the edge damaged. My Case sodbuster Jr should have one. It's size and sweaty hands can make holding on to it while closing. If you use one in the field you know what I mean

Like 'em. Wish the Churchill had half stops. After all, the Calf Pen Jack does.

That's interesting. Thanks for commenting on that. I didn't realize the Calf Pen Jack has half stops. I just assumed that it doesn't since it's a #35 pattern.

I've always thought that GEC changed the pattern number when they put half stops on a frame that didn't originally have them. The #53 and #54 frames, for example. Same frame but different pattern numbers due to the half stops.

Was the Calf Pen Jack the first time that GEC didn't change the pattern number when adding half stops? Anybody know why?

Until recently the only blades I had with half stops were the philips screw driver and the bottle opener/large screw driver on my swiss champ. I really like the half stops on those blades. I recently bought a Boker whittling congress and a Case congress, both of them have half stops on the cutting blades. With the swiss champ, when the blade hits the half stop, I often push on the inside edge to finish opening it. My fear is that out of habit I may sometime do that on one of the new knives. I'll just have to remember to be careful with them I guess.

O.B.

Back