Hammer time! forging a booshway

m. wohlwend

BANNED
2011-01-07_15-58-43_510.jpg

2011-01-07_16-01-20_869.jpg

2011-01-07_16-03-15_775.jpg

Thought I would put this up for those of us that love hot steel and anvils ... :D

Last edited:
When I say " forged finish" I mean FORGED finish ... :)

you have forged finish? show me your hammer and anvil!

woops, did I just say that ???

When I say " forged finish" I mean FORGED finish ... :)

you have forged finish? show me your hammer and anvil!

woops, did I just say that ???

LOL, that always makes me laugh when a knife is made using stock removal and they say it comes with a forge finish !:rolleyes:

It looks like ya getting some Blacksmith arms on ya Mark !:D:thumbup:

LOL, that always makes me laugh when a knife is made using stock removal and they say it comes with a forge finish !:rolleyes:

It looks like ya getting some Blacksmith arms on ya Mark !:D:thumbup:

A heat treat forge is still a forge, and the finish it puts on a knives is still a forge finish ;)

A heat treat forge is still a forge, and the finish it puts on a knives is still a forge finish ;)

I guess but to me a true forge finish is not just the heat discolouration but also still has a few dimples etc from the forging process !

Good examples of a forge finish...

pa280007.jpg

By null at 2010-10-28

12108095.jpg

By null at 2010-10-01

Can also be seen to a lesser degree on the top section of my Booshway...

pa210012.jpg

By null at 2010-10-21

Alot of heat treating is done in kilns. Some makers farm out their heat treat. Forging is the actual act of hammering out metal with a hammer. When you claim to have forged finish it implies that you actually hammered out the steel. A true forged finish will be thicker than a heat treat finish because the object has received multiple heats bringing more carbon to the surface than the typical single heat required for a heat treat.

I really don't care too much what other makers call their stuff. I have never improved my knife making skills by whining or attacking other makers. I posted this up and promptly received an email. "You actually forge??!!!" Yes. The booshways that we produce are acctualy forged.

I guess but to me a true forge finish is not just the heat discolouration but also still has a few dimples etc from the forging process !

I guess there's a difference between "forged" finish and "forge" finish to some people.

So a "forged" finish is something that was hammered to shape. To me the act of forging is hammering to shape and not just heat treating a knife in a forge leaving the scale on.

Then there's a "forge" finish which is just scale left on a knife from heat treating in a forge.

I don't do either one and I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as you don't make your customers think that a knife was forged when it actually just has a "forge" finish.

Mark, keep it up with the true forged finish bud.

When I saw the title "Hammer Time" I thought you would at least be wearing a pair of "parachute pants." :D

Alot of heat treating is done in kilns. Some makers farm out their heat treat. Forging is the actual act of hammering out metal with a hammer. When you claim to have forged finish it implies that you actually hammered out the steel. A true forged finish will be thicker than a heat treat finish because the object has received multiple heats bringing more carbon to the surface than the typical single heat required for a heat treat.

I really don't care too much what other makers call their stuff. I have never improved my knife making skills by whining or attacking other makers. I posted this up and promptly received an email. "You actually forge??!!!" Yes. The booshways that we produce are acctualy forged.

I know what forging is--don't forget I have had a bit of hammer time myself :p:
9tg6s1.jpg

That said, I am a proponent of "forged finish" being used for knives that are forged and "forge finish" for knives that are heat treated in a forge is fine by me.

Anyone in parachute pants is funny Mark!

When I saw the title "Hammer Time" I thought you would at least be wearing a pair of "parachute pants." :D

Man that's a blast from the past, I bet I still have a CD kicking around with ' can't touch this ' on !:eek:

Noah, you do know. :)
Most customers do not.
I am not trying to call out any maker or argue.
This post is to inform my clients that I forge. :)

2011-01-08_15-50-13_922.jpg

Here is something else that forging let's you do. I had a piece of damascus left over from a custom order. I re-shaped it into a blade and forged a handle and a pig's tail for a thong on the end. In most shop, this piece of steel would have wound up in the trash because there was no way to grind something out of it. Thanks to forging I have a cool little neck knife now!

Back