Hand Forged Axes!

Wanted to start a thread and compile a list of hand forged axe makers. Post up those that you know of!

I am looking at getting a nice hand forged axe in the 2 to 3.5 pound range with a 20" handle maybe and was wondering what the options are other than Gransfors Bruks, Hults Bruks, Hultafors, Husquvarna, and Hoffman Forge. Thanks!

Paul Krzyskowiski "Toronto Blacksmith" on Instagram makes axes and has classes for people to teach them forging axes.

Also Lamaca Axes are handforged.. I have 2 and really love the steel and the hang.

There are a number of makers that will take orders and use 1070, 5160 or similar steel

Snow & Nealley. I bought my Hudson Bay 3/4 single bit in Whitehorse, Yukon, about 10 years ago. Great backpacking ax, much more useful than a hatchet. Works great on splitting the rib cage and pelvis on moose, too. The company was bought a few years ago by an Amish man and his sons in Bangor, Maine. Heads are drop forged and hand tempered, 100% US made, top quality.

My axe arrived. It is a beauty. Here is a link to Ike’s blog. He is a great guy.

http://www.wolfvalleyforge.com/2022/04/02/patricks-bush-axe/

I will write a review when I get a chance to use her. Have a great week.

– Patrick
That’s a great one Patrick. I actually switched my Tracker order to a bush axe they’ll be pretty much the same as yours, guard and all. I don’t think my turn is up for a few more months. I’m looking forward to the review, and yes, Ike is a great dude.

You might check out ShiraForge.com
Matt makes several styles. He might be very busy now that he won forged in fire last week.

Define handforged...

The Swedish Axe Forges you listed are according to how you wrote your inital post, handforging axes?

They all use Presses to form the Blade and Eye. If you look at GB videos from they forge the Presser forms the whole Blade and Eye on a single press in a single heating.

If that is handforged then Ochsenkopf also handforges axes, since they have a similar process, on YT is a video.

I consider this video from Müller in Austria to involve more manual labour than the hyped GB forgeries:

Back