Hand gun operation under water?

I was wondering which hand guns will fire, rechamber and fire again under water? I tried this the other day with a Glock and a Springfield XD-40 and they both did the same thing. They fired the 1st round and rechambered but would not fire the 2nd round. Only once did the Springfield fire twice. The water was lake water right on the shore so it was also very muddy and I'm wondering if this had anything to do with their performance. I have a SIG 229 I will try next, do you think a HG with an external hammer will perform better then a HG like the Glock or XD-40 with an internal mechnism? I saw a video for sale that was about this subject but I didn't feel like paying $50.00 for it. I was wondering if the SIG 226 works 100% under water because it is issue for SEALs. Has any one seen it or have any further knowledge about this subject? Being just a regular joe I don't think I'll be needing my HG while I'm swimming but it is cool just to know this stuff!!!:D Thanks for any input!

Commercial divers off the Central Calif. coast (Great White area) carry modified Glocks that will supposedly empty a magazine underwater. I think Discovery Channel once did a show on the divers that made mention of the guns. I don't know how you'd track down the info.

I am glad everyone else knows where to go for information; I guess they don't have any confidence. Please keep sending them elsewhere so they don't waist my time.
Here's the real deal on that subject, what allows the weapon to fire underwater is a fluted firing pin and associated disks that surround same.
The concept was not to necessarily to fire at a target underwater but to fire from underwater at someone on a dock, pier, and ship whatever.
We have a different device that fires at targets underwater and that was my day I am sure they have something even better today.

Hmm... Why were <i>commercial divers</i> packing pistols?

Aww, CJ don't let the ba$tards get you down. You're still our favorite pinniped :D

David

*Edited for spelling

I hope I didn't waist anyone's time. Just curious to see what thoughts folks around here had on this subject. Sorry to be a bother!!:confused:

Originally posted by Kampfjaeger
Hmm... Why were <i>commercial divers</i> packing pistols?

Aww, CJ don't let the ba$tards get you down. You're still our favorite pinnaped :D

David

Because it is easier than using a fishing pole :D

But seriously, H&K made some sort of underwater firing thingie and I saw pictures of it on www.hkpro.com (I think that is the right url)

But what about revolvers too?

Glocks will fire underwater as long as they are chambered in 9mm, and are either a G19 or G17 respectively WITH the special firing pin cups installed AND only non-expanding bullets are used. ie FMJ. Do a search over on Glocktalk. Those guys are nuts anyway. I read somewhere that some abolone (sp?) divers carry modified glocks for shark repellant. (heheh, seems to me a sharp stick would probably be just as effective as a 9mm at 60 ft down, but what the hell maybe they will give some great white indegistion.)

CJC, are you being scarcastic? I guess that's your prerogative. My reply had nothing to do with confidence or lack in YOU, but rather confidence that:
1) the folks at TFL would have a lot of info
2) this question does not really fit in either "BLADEforums" or "Urban Jungle" categories, so I thought it might not get a big response.

RH,

I expect that folks don't hang so well in the specwar community if they have a thin skin. The SEALs I knew said that a good sense of humor will get you through a lot. Not answering for CJ, but I suspect he's just jerking your chains a little.

no need to take it personal if you haven't read his post, he throws in a special blend of humor in it that not everyone can appreciate. No need to be so uptight. As for your question, HK shoots underwater, as one who has gone to their training. I can assure you that this gun does what the manufacture claims it can without any mods. !

Me, uptight? Not at all. I guess the humor was just too subtle for me and I was checking if CJ was making humor or taking umbrage.

My skin is indeed thick - goes great with my head. :D

I'm a little new here and I read a few other gun posts so I thought it would be an ok question. As far as humor goes it's all good and didn't take anything personal!!:D

Kampfjaeger, did you get to train with SEALs? If you were implying I have thin skin, I can hold my own and no harm done.

RH, Thanks for the link! I tried to find the subject over there but I need to go through over 13 pages of good info! Should be interesting reading!!

Hey Chris (SkagSig),

No, I never was a SEAL or went through BUD/S. However due to some fortunate circumstances and connections I had some neat opportunities. I was interested at one point in trying out for the Teams (until genetics kicked in and my eyesight slipped out of the acceptable range. Nobody would give me a waiver:mad: ) Ah well but such is life. At any rate, because of the connections I had made I got to know some of theguys on a Team that was local to an area where I lived. As a result, I ended up hanging out with them, PTing with them, getting to watch <i>some</i> of their FMPs and picked their brains about how best to prep for BUD/S. They were a great bunch of guys.

Damned genetics... I was willing to pay for eye surgery MYSELF if they would let me in and give it a shot at graduation. I was in FANTASTIC physical condition at the time and better prepped than most for the school (in that I had an educated view on what I could probably expect to experience there.) All I can say is that after getting to know these guys, I am glad that they are on OUR side.:D

And last of all, no... I wasn't implying you have thin skin.

Kampfjaeger, I trained with a fellow for about 10 years in martial arts and it was his goal to try to become a SEAl after high school. I lost contact with him around 1997 and I wonder if he ever did make it.

I wish I could have been one of the guys who would be able to let you know. But I suspect if you go to specialoperations.com you'll find two guys there called "Fred" and "Trident." They have access to the BUPERS database. CJ might be able to tell you himself.

in a recent issue of handguns mag chuck taylor shot a glock 17 underwater, w/no mods, and if remember correctly, it functioned too, AND he left it under the water in the ocean for 6 months w/no damage - for whatever its worth.........

sifu

You know I meet a lot of people who wished they could have had the "SEAL experience" and I can appreciate that. But whether someone made it to or through BUD/S really doesn’t change the person they were or are. There were and I am sure today are a lot of guys that made it through, that never should have and more importantly many that didn't or couldn’t that I thought should have.
Point being that whatever it was that one thinks they might have missed they could generally find that somewhere else.
Being a good person is where it is!
You can always learn how to shoot, skydive, scuba dive, fight etc. Seals really don't have any one market cornered.
But the best SEALS do, and that is their attitude. I don't know where else that can be generated because the teams did afford some unique opportunities along those lines.
I am sure that one will fuel a debate.
But before you all go crazy, remember that my father was a Korean War Marine (yes, shades of the "Great Santini") and I went through Army SF school and I have Trained with just about every other spec war unit out there and I have to tell you Americans are very unique. Fortunately SEALS are allowed to remain unique and when they go to far,,,,, well read Dick Marcinko's first book and you will get the idea.

Back