Handgun Carry in the Woods?

I always have a hand gun when afield. Most of the time it's a S&W Model 63, .22 LR. I wear it in an Uncle Mike's nylon holster, cross draw. If I am hunting at the time, it will be a .45 Colt or .44 Mag.

Thanks Ultraman The first one (where I'm wearing the red and blue leggings on my horse) is a Ruger Old Model Vaquero in .45 Colt. The second one where I'm cutting the burl is a Bersa Thunder in .380. The third is a Polish Radom Tokarov in 7.62x25mm. I made all three holsters. I'm kinda a gun guy so I don't really have a specific gun that I always carry. I vary all the time and a lot of it might be dependent on what I'm doing and where on the ranch I'm going.

Horsewright: Thanks for responding. Cool selection! Looks like a great place to live in.

Ultraman you're welcome. Thanks. Yeah it was pretty sucky last couple of days:

sNXZACq.jpg

The wife trotting ahead to get in front of those cattle. Tucson bringing up the rear.

Tuscon is pretty sure he's a Lab not an Aussie:

hf18PxJ.jpg

The wife's horseback carry rig:

BlpvZax.jpg

This style holster keeps the gun from flopping around. Stays tight agains the body:

8eQZDHf.jpg

If I'm just walking in the woods right behind the house, I'll carry this:

8f047af62a6c9c2dfd7f1fd19bb66749.jpg

Especially since just last fall a bear was wandering around the front yard in the morning.

Otherwise it's usually my Glock 22. Been thinking of switching to my Ruger SR9 though.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Wow, nice holsters, spotless, no wear marks or sweat stains on the leather, not even creases in the belts from them.

Not sure how people keep leather so nice, unless those pics were taken before they were worn, I guess that could do it.

As far as the original question, yes, I carry in the woods, actually, if I'm wearing pants, I'm carrying.

Ha yeah I got mine for xmas from my wife so it's pretty new

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I think a holster does improve with use within limits, but they look better new.

Yes, always. Road up on a meth lab that was still bubbling with my kids on our golf cart a few years ago. Backed out of there RRREEEAAAALLLLLL careful like. Will not go into the woods unarmed. Not a bit worried about the wildlife around NE Texas (OK, maybe Mr Skunk intimidates me just a little :D), but don't want those stinking 2 legged vermin to hurt my kiddos.

Doc

Always!

Anyplace you get people, you will have a potential for the wrong people to show up. I'm not worried over the four legged creatures in the woods, just the two legged. You may go a lifetime and not need a gun in the woods, but you could need one badly the next time out. No way to predict where some wacko may show up. I'm sure the girl and the elderly couple that got killed on Blood Mountain didn't think they needed one. All bludgeoned to death for their ATM cards and passwords.

I'll always have a concealed firearm on me in the woods.

Backpacked & hiked for years never feeling the need to take a firearm along. Then one day I was just tooling around a local WMA and came upon an abandoned meth lab - headed straight out of there asap. Add to that a couple odd encounters by friends & I on trails with other shorter access trails on them, I now carry.

This is my preferred woods carry. Ruger MkII in cross draw rig. Not too many dangerous animals to worry about where I live. The cross draw is extremely comfortable while sitting which is very important to me.
IMG_4676_zpsudyiqqty.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have a Kahr CW9 in a IWB holster for concealment if necessary.

Nice rig.

Had a buddy make me a cross draw for my Sig 1911.

rdfO4UQ.jpg

Fits perfectly and very comfy.

6ddu8SP.jpg

This is when I am not on the 4-wheeler or tractor. I carry either a little .22 pump or 30/30 when I am one one of the 2. Though, the 12ga. likes to take a ride too.

Backpacked & hiked for years never feeling the need to take a firearm along. Then one day I was just tooling around a local WMA and came upon an abandoned meth lab - headed straight out of there asap. Add to that a couple odd encounters by friends & I on trails with other shorter access trails on them, I now carry.

I have seen so many that I don't even react other than in disgust. But it does pay to pay attention and if you see people in the woods where you might not expect them, be cautious.

Back