Handgun choices???

Any reliable compact firearm will work. Just practice, practice, practice. I have the SW Model 19 .357, 640-1 in .357 then Glocks 23, 24, 27, and the Sig 229 in .40 I would feel comfortable with any of them. Well the Glock 24 is too big for concealed work. Its not the handgun its the owners skill level. You can name a hundred handgun variations that would work and work well. You really only need one and you have to have a high skill level. You said you had the P-7, if you like it, leave it go at that. You will find none better. The small glocks like the 27 or 26, with the pinky extensions on the magazine are awesome guns. An airweight J-frame .38 in your pocket beats the crap out of nothing too. While I decided on .40's and the Winchester 155 slivertip, I am sick of the caliber debates. 38 special up .357, 9mm, 40, through 45 are all just fine if you put the rounds where they count. If you can shoot it fast and accurate, go with it.

I couldn't agree more about caliber and shot placement..........

but, you can't beat a good quality single action auto. 1911s or Highpowers ( and the other various HGs that could be carried cocked & locked ). The clock doesn't lie, nothing is faster. If you're fast with a DA than you're even faster with a SA.

I have 2 recommendations:
Beretta 92 SS with nite sites and SS hi-caps
Wilson Combat CQB
Both are great !

First off, I have the hots for a S&W snubbie 5 shot +P rated (model 337PD) pocket gun as they are very easy to keep nearby while still packing a real punch. Can't agree more about the shot placement thing, a 4" Buckmark can be quite deadly close in from what I hear(only .22 rimfire).

Which brings me to my most frustrating issue here. WHY did someone have to bring up the Seacamp .32 here???? This is such a girly gun (only .32 ACP) but I want one sooooo bad. Nevermind the fact that a Seacamp .32 with Silvertips is supposed to have better balistics than most .380 hollowpoints, but have you ever felt the DA trigger on one?
Probably the best DA trigger I've ever felt. I just have a hard time paying over 1K for a .32 (with a year long waiting list) that I can't legally carry ( the great state of CA- CCW permits are not for regular people).

Oh well,

jmx

A Glock 27 has worked great for me when allowed by the dress of the day. (Typically and untucked shirt). The only jams I saw were limp wrists by my wife. (Yes, she shoots and is a good shot!) But, when it must fit in a pocket, I have a Bond Arms O/U derringer in .410 shotshell that fits nicely. With a 3.5 inch barrel the spread is awsome. Granted, it lacks precision. And admittedly it's not "fun" to practice with. But, it will get me safely away from the threat. Just a thought.

my neighbor has a seecamp .32 w/a large red bead from a shotgun for a front site, and it works well - i have a kel tech P32 and did all the mods on www.KTOG.com (darn i think, if wrong i'll edit) which consists of smoothing all the rough spots out, on barrel, ramp, etc and while not as good as the seecamp, its ok - it is 100% reliable after the first 50 rounds or so, have put about 500 thru it since, mostly silvertip, w/no probs - snubs are fine too, but practice reloads, carried my detective special w/hogue wood grips in null ankle holster fore i switched to a glock 33 for several years as a back up, i like colts, 6 shots, but S&W are cool too - a bud carries a SW 9MM snub, and loves it - they are lighter too - the berretta 92's are ok, i have one, but they are BIG, really too big for concealment imho, its BIGGER than a 1911, a gun i love, but cant carry at work, no single actions allowed - but they are good guns, i have a kimber, and they are the thing to get if ya want a 1911, but my fav, again is my glock(s) ya got commanality of the mags, lightweight, reliable, concealable, high capacity, ergonomic design,price is right (but going up) ya cant go wrong, imho the best thing going for all around use.......

sifu

I'd like to cast my vote for the Beretta 92FS. I carry a 92FS Brigadier[heavy slide] with Trijicon Night Sites, Mec-Gar 17 rnd pre-ban mag in gun and 2 15 rd spares loaded with 115 gr. JHPs averaging 1360+ fps. Powerful, accurate, controllable, reliable[NEVER had a jam], and plenty of rounds until help arrives.

The best gun is the most powerful, reliable gun you can shoot accurately.

My Glock 23 with Trijicons has served me quite well, and my wife adores her Glock 27, also with Trijicons. We keep them both stoked with 135 grain Cor Bons. A few years ago we had a rather unfortunate incident with a home intruder, and a brief scuffle resulted in his receiving two rounds, one to the throat and one to the head respectively. The double tap scored, and he left in a bag. So be it.

My other favorite piece is my nightstand pistol, an HK USP .45 with UTL, loaded with 230 grain HydraShocks. This is simply the most accurate .45 I've ever handled. I've had major work done to 1911's in the past, yet they still can't touch the accuracy of my USP. HK really has it together with this piece.

Ultra reliability is the key for me, and My Glocks and HK have never once malfunctioned after thousands of rounds.

If you let everyone talk you out of using the P-7 then let me know and I think maybe we can work on getting it out of your arsenal and into mine.:rolleyes: :D

95Bravo,

I have found the P-32 shockingly accurate with such a short barrel and not the highest quality materials. It continues to impress. With such a small footprint it really conceals well for my wife. The trigger is definately not the smoothest, but it is reliable, and has definately not affected shot placement for either of us. The Seecamp is clearly a better piece in terms of craftsmanship, design and materials. But we continue to be surprised about the performance of our P-32's for size, weight, concealability, etc. Believe it or not, we had Ashley Big Dot Pro Express Tritium Front Sight put on them and they work great without any holster problems. They make aquiring and reaquiring the front sight lighting fast.

"Right on" Mike990!

It really is hard to beat a Glock for absolute reliability, but I have this new birthday present my wife got me that is just too beautiful and perfect (Kimber Pro Eclipse II).

jmxcptr, have you ever felt the DA trigger on a KAHR. WOW!

question for GPB - did ya have sights put on a P32?? i inquired about putting a gold shotgun bead on mine, so ya had something, but my gunsmith shied away from doing it, was concerned about the thickness of the metal, if i remeber right - he wasnt sure it would hold up - let me know how yours is doing......

sifu

My favorite choices would be:
Kel-Tec P32
Kahr P9
Glock 23 and
Ruger SP101 - 2 1/4"
Other favorites are (, but may be a little too big for concealed carry):
Sig P229/.357 Sig
H&K USP45 Compact
Kimber Pro Carry

I'd just like to sound off as a dedicaded revolver fan. My primary concideration is littering. I don't care who you are, if you carry a gun, you will eventually shoot the wrong person. Even if you are justifyed, you will go to jail untill the police and courts sort everything out. There is no catch and release for shootings in any state, or country I know of.
That said, I'd hate to have to pick up brass after dropping a BG. I shoot someone, and I'm bugging out post haste. Probably before they hit the ground.
The other thing is the conceit on shot placement. "Two in the heart, and one in the head" is tough for a sniper, and I can't conceive of sniping in self defence. The heart is a very small target that you can't see, and the only frames of referrance are covered unless the assailent is shirtless, and skinny. I defy ANYONE to put three precision shots into a screaming flailing crack head on a fast draw, Period. On the other hand, a .357 into the lower abdomen is pretty damn likely to shatter the pelvis, and ending the confrontation.
I really like the .410 derringer idea. If you need more than that, kiss your a$$ goodby. I'd load it with chain shot (bola rounds), or maybe a slug over shot. Several companies sell combinations that fire a .40+ magnum, over .410 in a pistol you can palm. I think I've even seen a D/A version somewhere.

Opinion:

The reliable handgun you enjoy shooting is an excellent choice for self-defense. If you practice with it, have confidence in it, and are comfortable with it, you will be considerably better armed (in the true sense of the word) than with a shiny new supergun.

To paraphrase: Pick a new handgun, then go out spend the money on ammunition and range fees for your current pistol.

/Opinion

Geeze!
Did Gaston Glock pay a bunch of forumites to endorse his product or something? What about BUYING AMERICAN!!!
I can't believe that so many people say all this good stuff about Glocks!!!!
That said, I prefer a Glock 21 (.45 acp) and Glock 30 for backup (Also .45 acp)
Maybe I'm strange, but I alternate the rounds in my mags.
In the chamber, I keep a Glaser (grey tip) and then the top round in the mag is a Hydra-Shok. After that a Glaser, and so on.
I figure the devastating potential of the Glaser would work for the first shot, then the Hydra Shok could be used in the case the target's wearing body armor.
That leaves the 3rd shot a Glaser.
Since I practice 2 to the center of mass and one to the head, that Glaser's gonna be hitting the head.. and if I miss, the Hydra Shok ain't too shabby neither.

Wondering which State Austria is located in,
I remain,
VG

Social Cameleon, you wrote:

I don't care who you are, if you carry a gun, you will eventually shoot the wrong person.

Say what?! That's pure, absolute nonsense. What was that comment based on anyway?

Vampire Gerbil, I'm sure .45 ACP Hydra Shocks won't go through any level of body armor.

Leo

VG, here's something else you might want to consider, regarding your practice of alternating rounds: there should be a significant difference in point of aim/point of impact between the lightweight Glasers and the 230-grain Hydra Shocks. Not a big deal at bad breath distances, but if you need a more precise shot, it might become a problem.

Leo

Dito Leo!! I wonder where he got that Idea? Probibly the news paper!!!:D Just teason';)

Mixed ammo is a wierd idea in a defence piece. I was always tought, shoot the same weight and velocity rounds at the range as you plan to keep loaded for defence, and preferably the same exact round. The comment about point of impact is a real consideration, and I doubt anyone practices much with Glasers considering what they cost (and the likely mess they make spraying teflon fluid all over the range). I will admit that I shoot ball ammo for most of my practice, and keep Hydra-Shoks loaded in the business mags (which I have passed plenty of through the weapon to make sure they cycle correctly), but they're both 230 gr 850 fps rounds. The only time I stray from this theme is back country with my Ruger 4" GP100 .357. Then I'll have a couple rounds of snake shot (in case of actual snakes here in CA) followed by hot hollow points which I do practice with in case larger more formidable predators show up (bobcats, etc.).

As to the American made comment, I own three Rugers and Kahr and S&W are at the top of the list for next candidates.

Just one opinion,

jmx

Back