Handgun choices???

First off...GPB please don't go on about me.Ya make old Dave's head swell too much.I must respect EVERYONE'S opinion on carry piece/bullet weight/etc.We all have a common goal-eliminate the target with as little fuss and muss as possible to accomplish our main objective.Not everyone is ready for "wet" work.Not only does it take dedication to remain steadfast when the world around you turns to sh*t but to focus on that front sight and squeeeze...
Big Wave Dave Out

hey guys, no offense to anyone intended but i have read stuff by ayoob/sanow/hackathorne et al for years, and dont know anything about the postings above, nor anyones credentials, etc - like i said no offense, I, ME MYSELF has not heard of them, the data makes sense, ayoob owns a part of cor bon so it would seem he MIGHT have a personal stake in all this, and have read that the sanow study has faults, BUT the thing was originally written as a masters thesis paper, if i remebercorrectly, so some institution of higher learning bought it, for whatever thats worth, he would have had to use legit sources, etc i would think - the above study also indicates that the 357 magnum 125 grain load would be a ****, and i have NEVER heard anyone disparage the 357 mag, not for stopping power anyway, for being only available in revolvers, yes, for being hard to control, yes, but not enuff stopping power?? no. the tx dept of public safety recently sw3itches from 9MM/40S&W/45ACP (officers choice) to 357SIG, with good results - an individual who i met at southwest tx state u while completing my masters in CJ, was a lt in the tx rangers, at the time head od governors security detail, he had switchred form P220 45 to glock 31C 357SIG, said all the younger guys carried the sig round now, and it had performed well so far - we talked about it a lot a s previously he had carried a sig P220 45 and i woulda thought he would have NEVER given that up, and rangers can carry anything they want (ie one i know carries a para ord 1911 38 super w/like a 18 or 19 rnd mag) but myn bud was content w/the 357SIG round so who am i to argue - - also what about the goat shootings in france, they also indicate the same thing as sanow - ah well everyone has an opinion dont mean to offend and am open to new ideas, i carry a gun daily due to my job, and i too can carry anything i can qualify with, right now using a glock 32 and 33 357, and i too carried a P220 as recently as a year ago - just like the glocks rekiability, and weight never doubted the 45 - i dont know , but really think that any of the other roundss (ie 40, 357SIG or mag, 45, 10MM) are better than a 9MM, w/any bullet - imho the 9 is at the very bottom of the acceptable list anyway - and again no offense to anyone, i am just quoting data i have heard, there is a prof at SWTSU who did a doctarol thesis about this subject, next time i see him i'll get his opinion - he had something toi do w/DPS adopting the 357SIG, so would be interesting to hear what he has to say

sifu

Big Wave Dave,

Who said I respected your opinion? ;) :p

See you on the range my man.

It seems pretty clear there are varying "opinions", "studies" and "conclusions" regarding ideal loads and calibers. The one, seemingly common, agreement among everyone is that "shot placement" really counts.

Certainly, the condition of your target would too, if he is jacked up on crack and the nervous system is a little numb.

This has been very informative, and its great to see how many forumites are also shooters.

Keep burnin' the cordite guys! (Did I spell that correctly?)

Out.

How many cases of "over penetration" are on record for the .45acp FMJ at 850fps...ya know, the old "HARDBALL"...seems to put em down with out killing the people in the next block.
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by SIFU1A
i have heard that the "WORST" ammo for defense is the 9MM 147 grain, they dont expand well/overpenetrate - the best 9MM is supposedly the +P+ or +P ammo, in 115 or 125 grain - cor-bon is readily available, a 115 gr JHP @ +1300FPS, approaches .357 mag/SIG ballistics ...sifu

sifu, I guess I took it personal when you posted this right after I said the 147 grain is the 9mm of choice for most of the knowing people.

I see you didn't mean it that was.

I also have two boxes of Winchester 9mm 147 grain SXT Black Talons. :)

hey rgray - no way meant anything personal, hell i dont even carry 9MM lol - but i used to have to carry 9MM, so i read all i could about them to try and determine what in the heck i should carry in it(i could choose ammo, not gun, well any remington/winchester ammo anyway, and carried SIG P228 and remington 9MM+P+)) and we all know how those mags are, sometimes 2 writers contradict themselves in the same issue - and the case stated for 147(in this thread) made sense to me, just been programmed by combat handguns/handguns/guns ammo/shooting times etc i guess - i am just glad now the agency i work with has a more liberal carry policy, and i am no longer forced to make such decisions, can carry anything i qualify with, basically, as long as i buy it(no 1911's though, darn it) - they give ya a glock 17 or 19 (i took 19) and ya also have to buy your leather gear - but anyway no offense meant i hope everyone learned something about 9MM's from this thread , if ya read it ya had to.....

PS rgray do ya live anywhere near germantown, maryland??

sifu

.45 FMJ full penetrations-yes, six of them with very little damage done to the crook with good torso hits (the guy ended up going down-permanently-to a 147 gr. subsonic jhp) Our guys are no longer allowed to carry FMJ's because their performance is so dismal.

Mod 25-5, ah my first duty gun (in .45 Colt, not ACP). We had outstanding results from the .45 Colt (often called "long Colts"). I can't recal a single shooting that our agency had with these that ever took more than one round.

Do we really have people who think the "Strasburg Test" really happened? The Sanow/Marshal tests have been discounted by anyone with any scientific background as a fraud.

After reveiwing these extensive and somewhat overwhelming posts, I am surprised to see but a few people touch on the aspect of mindset.

Caliber doesn't really matter to me. The gun on your hand at a given time is the best weapon you've got. If I have to shoot someone, I'll use a .223. But it has been my experience that people either regurgitate "gun mag" experts, or study police shootings, since those guys are shooting the most poeple in this country and getting away with it. The normal joe usually only has to show a gun, and the problem is over. But if you have commit yourself to deadly force, you better go balls to the wall until the adversary is down for good. No amount of range training or thousand dollar personal instruction can duplicate this. It doesn't matter if your're packing a custom 45 or a flat tip screw driver.

Chris has proven this by bowling over cops and civilians in training, by simply attacking quickly and violently. We seem to get wrapped up in these debates all the time "9mm vs. .45" or "M16 vs, AK" Well guess what: it doesn't matter. Use what you got to spill blood quickly, and in large amounts. There is no magic bullet or load that can replace the willingness to destroy the other guy with rapid violence and savage action. We all have this inside of us already, and you won't find it a gunsite, frontsite, rearsite, thunder world, whatever. I know far too many people that have been overwhelmed by quick action even though they were carrying the latest fad. My close defensive weapon? The Stanley Framing Hammer, in an attractive matte finish, with real oak handle!

And sometimes a .357

There's no doubt in my mind that mindset is number one, and all else is pretty much supplemental. I guess no one mentioned it before because the original question was "handgun choices".

Leo

Originally posted by Squid
CJ:

I'm interested in getting your thoughts on handguns, specifically those for defense and concealed carry...

Leo, I was getting ready to say that.

Jim, honestly I'm not familiar with that HK K3(380). I'm sure it's as good as other HK's!! I was thinking of getting a Walther PPK(380) just for fun and pocket carry!

This was to some degree interesting; it was in actuality more eye opening to see where most of your heads are. I was not interested in furthering this thread until Robert "H" (BOMB) POSTED his reply, and the fact that I believe there is actually some Law Enforcement Officers reading this.
I tried to give you all some of the fundamental issues when dealing with this question but I found that I was almost totally misunderstood or just blown off.
Instead, I read of this guy’s favorite and that guys favorite. Then the overwhelming case studies and coroner reports and the weight velocity issues and finally some daylight through the tunnel from the H-Bomb.
Folks, you totally miss my point. Neither my sea-brothers nor myself would just give you my /our opinion. If that is what someone wants, do not come to me. I do not want that responsibility. I would rather give you the foundation of how to think so that you can make your own educated decisions.
We pass on knowledge in a way that over time continues to grow on you. We want you to understand the fundamentals so that as the theory moves out of the classroom you have the tools to react accordingly no matter what. Our knowledge cannot be based on specific situations but rather on all situations. We must give the student the ability to persevere in any situation, and that comes from the fundamentals, which are too often overlooked for what is cool and new.
I spoke of the dynamics of a weapon, I spoke of target area, I spoke of concept and I left it open for you to analyze these details and see if it makes a difference. If I mention my fondness of .357 but suggest no suitable weapon exists, understanding that all though your ballistic reports support the Sig cartridge reacts the same as the revolver is that to mean that the guns are the same, and thus the results would be the same.
I am not here to influence you guys I now what I am going to do I have been there enough, you do what you want. My goal here is to try to open up your minds to issues that are not commonly taught because few people can.
Weapons are built for the human hand, and there are dynamics that effect ones ability to be accurate. I don't care if you have a smart bullet; if you are incapable of hitting an effective target before the threat neutralizes you than you are urinating up a line in the wind, underwater! "YOU CAN NOT MISS FAST ENOUGH TO WIN!"
It takes a lot more than just a gun to survive a life and death encounter and the gun becomes a tool but by no means the most important one.
I remember being at a school with British and New Zealand SAS people. We were all cross training and the Kiwi's were teaching a handgun-shooting block. They were carrying Browning High Powers and were teaching repeated shots (double taps), politically correct standard pairs. My platoon was using match grade .45's as mandated by our OIC (officer in charge) LT.RJ THOMAS. MR. Thomas taught me a great deal about shooting a gun and about the mindset of battle. He taught me more than even he intended, as I saw and heard more than what was intentionally put out. Mr. Thomas was a NAVY CROSS RECIPIENT and for those of you who don't know, that is second to the CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR. More on that see, "Men Under Pressure" by Darrel YOUNG.
Anyway, the Kiwi instructors kept hassling Mr. Thomas because he was shooting one round at a time, and they wanted two at a time. Now, forget the fact that his one round was dead center in the head (no pun intended) every time and forget the fact that he was as fast or faster than everybody else, it was not right according to the curriculum.
This man was a highly decorated war veteran who was very experienced in the ways of dispatching life, he was also very good at saving lives, but we are focusing on the former and that’s another story.
After repeated remarks by the instructors, Mr. Thomas finally stated if I can hit him between the eyes with this one bullet before he can hit me, than what the hell do I care about two rounds at a time for.
Point being if you know what your capabilities are than I don't care if I hit him with a .22. If it hits his brain before he can do anything to me, game over!
Gentlemen your issues on ammo was well founded and all the reports should be of interest but please don't bet your life on this stuff, there are always too many relevant variables left out. Like where did he hit the suspect, what was suspect wearing, what were their respective frames of mind, what was the level of relevant training of those involved, etc.etc.
In the end if I am a complete weapon system with the best firearm for me, and that means my head is right and my weapon allows me to be smooth, fast and accurate, than if I hit him in the eye with a Corbon round that broke up but I follow up and close the distance and give him a couple of Abe Lincolns, what else do you want to talk about.
Guys read between the lines I don't have enough time to spell it out.
Remember the FBI shootout in Dade County in 1986. One extremely qualified agent lost his glasses and then unfortunately his life for us, but the question, what makes a complete weapon system? This man had the ability to hit the target I am told and he had the mindset but he didn't see that well without his glasses. Roosevelt kept an extra pair of glasses with him, just incase.
Some people wanted to say that that incident was about equipment not training I beg to differ.
Everyone in a failure always wants to point at equipment because it is the most tangible thing to understand it is something we can change quickly but I assure you that is generally not the case. In that same shooting there was an issue about bullets but in the very beginning of that firefight it is reported that before the bad guy fired any fatal shots he already suffered from at least two non-survivable hits. In the Hollywood shooting everyone commented on not only weapons but that the bad guys had body armor, the bad guys in Miami had none. What if that mentality had on body armor and no bullets worked what then, will you run, will you quit?
Remember Hannibal, “If I cannot find the way I will make the way” that is the mind dudes. There are no excuses when your life is on the line, you can't call for Mr. Wizard and get out of here.
I have to mention for the Gerbil Bat, I alternate rounds in my handguns, when I have to use commercial ammo. There is not one round that is perfect for me. Point of aim point of impact is no issue at most distances that I am concerned with, so party on you wild man!
If you want to do a case study forget the gun vs. ammo crap and consider that almost all of the most famous Law Enforcement shootings were LE. got hammered, and without exception, the bad guys MOVED and the Cops stood still! Incidents like Newhall, Nico, Miami, and Hollywood just to name a few. So when someone wants to talk about guns and ammo remember it is not what you got, but what you do with what you got, that is most important.
Finally there is ammo out there that is beyond your wildest dream and these people will prove it to you, but still people do not believe it. I SAID PROVE IT TO YOU! This means that people still don't get it when it is right in front of them. Do not ask me about the ammo but if someone guesses I will tell you if you are right.
One clue, the Army and Navy Elite use this very expensive stuff across the board.

Mr C.J. I am not going to piss about guessing the magic-all-in-one-used-by-us-special-forces-ammo-which-will-provide-for-all-the-situations-and-naver-fale because I will probably not be able to afford it any way. But I am glad that you brought up the thinking, you are it right makes little difference what gun, caliber, action and ammo you use its how you use it that rely wins the day.

P.S. hay C.J. if you are aver in Australia drop me an e-mail I'll show you around all my favourite bars.

;)

I've been watching the last few posts, and I'm gonna hazard a guess on the "expensive stuff" CJ was hinting at. I'm more than likely wrong, and don't even own my own firearms yet (being young, married, and broke kinda does that to a guy), but I'm gonna take a wild guess:

Sub-sonic hollowpoints.

If that's wrong, maybe it's a medium- to high-velocity hollowpoint. I don't know the physics behind what a bullet does on impact, and I don't think ballistic gelatin tells the while story.

I'd venture a guess, but I'd be cheating because I know. :D

Good tries, but keep guessing...;)

All I can say is, from what I heard, it's beyond amazing.

~Brian.

Back