Handle Blemish - Polish?

I picked up an older (2004) Buck 102 with the black handle. The blade is about perfect but the handle has a wear mark or blemish where the rivet from the sheath wears on it. What's a good thing to polish that out with?

One reason I wanted a pouch type sheath is there aren't any rivets rubbing on the handle. Looks like they have a covering inside so the blade doesn't get scratched but the handle strap one rubs

Try it and let us know.

Personally I like knives with that character. It's no longer "too pretty to use".
I say "put some more marks of your own on it".
Those knives are the best ones.:thumbsup:

I like to polish up old ones as long as they aren’t collectible. Nothing worse than polishing a collectible blade but this is just a plain 102. I was going to try simichrome on the aluminum and blade maybe will just use that

I really like the black phenolic to develop some light wear - makes it tackier in my hand when there is blood on the handle. The handle simply looks dull but not scratched. OH
Buck-118-circa-1968-71.jpg

I like to polish up old ones as long as they aren’t collectible. Nothing worse than polishing a collectible blade but this is just a plain 102. I was going to try simichrome on the aluminum and blade maybe will just use that
You said it it's a plain 102, have at it you won't hurt it.

Yup. It is my only real gripe with Buck fixed blade sheaths is the inside of the rivets and snaps rub on the handle. The blade is usually protected from that. I was even thinking of gluing a thin piece of glove leather to cover it

Yup. It is my only real gripe with Buck fixed blade sheaths is the inside of the rivets and snaps rub on the handle. The blade is usually protected from that. I was even thinking of gluing a thin piece of glove leather to cover it
I've been using the sticky moleskin pads (cut to size) that you can get in the first aid section of your local drugstore and they work fairly well.

If a "user", I'd use some 000 or 0000 steel wool and scuff the rest of the handle so future scratches don't show, and make the grip not quite as slick when wet.

If show/display maybe hand polish with red or green polishing compound?

The simichrome cleaned it up real nice handle also

so far it’s my EDC but I still want it to look good

Back