Handle dilemma

I recently purchased an Indonesian model because it resembles the "chopper" style of Burmese dha, which my martial instructor can train me with.
I asked Yangdu if she had any in stock, and lo and behold, a beautiful sisau wood handled one was available. She sent it out immediately and it arrived faster than I expected- HI must have friends at the postal service.

The problem is that the handle is too beautiful! It's a little big for my grip, and I don't want to take a rasp to it. I'm not sure I can shape it with sandpaper, either. I might be able to make the handle tackier by sanding it, though.
Part of me just wants to get hockey stick grip tape and wrap it, because then I can remove the glue.
I'm so used to khukuri handles that the straight handle of the Indy model is awkward for me.

Sand it brother. Its no sin to mod these blades. I'd start with the rasp then go to sandpaper. If you screw it up I'll refinish it for you. You'd just have to cover the shipping.

Thanks for the offer. If it was standard wood I'd be more amicable to modifying it. I'm half-tempted to hammer out the pins, boil the handle to remove the laha, and just cord-wrap the chiruwa tang. That way I could replace the slabs someday.

To each their own, but I can't imagine a big khuk with a cord-wrap. I'd sand the wood. I've sanded some beautiful handles, even made some kinda homely, but I never felt bad about it. What good's pretty if it doesn't fit and you can't use it? No, make it your own. That always feels good.

Chris

It's not a khukuri, it's a sword. Mine has a wooden handle, though:

11-24-06i2%20006.jpg

That is one of the main things I like about these blades. They can be used and collected, but I have no hesitation to work on the handles or blades to get them to where I like them. I probably do something to every one of 'em.

I have a collector mentality, but I try to fight the urge to buy something just to put it up somewhere safe and never use it or touch it for fear of messing it up for future investment. I only buy things I like and want to keep and "play" with. I don't want to destroy them, but I don't want them to be safe queens either.

The good thing is, while I love HI stuff and don't want to degrade it, honestly most of the items I get do not have perfect fit and finish, so if I work on it a little, it is no longer in "mint condition" and I can do with it what I like. :)

Even if it is "perfect" the ring may be in the wrong place (for me), the ring may be too large and uncomfortable (for me), the handle may be too large (for me), the wood grain may be hidden by the finish they use, etc. and it may need some work.

Oh, it looks to me like sisau wood is becoming the standard wood. I don't really consider it a special, rare wood. I may be wrong.

Eric.

Sand it brother. Its no sin to mod these blades. I'd start with the rasp then go to sandpaper. If you screw it up I'll refinish it for you. You'd just have to cover the shipping.

mmmm, what he said. sand it :) but no rasp... unless you are expert - i'm not ... i find a rasp way to fast, and random, and narror of focus - good for axe head, not so good on a handle...

me? tape it all up. twice :) start with a 100 grit sandpaper. go slow. check the feel. like? step up grades fast, aiming for a good finish. i'm not the evengelist of 00 grade steel wool. yar. then oil it :) tung, danish, BLO (get the heavy metal free organic kind - feels great on skin such treated wood :>)

use!

bladite

OR, sell it for your cost to a guy (subliminal: NORM!) with big hands (subliminal: NORM!!), and get another with a skinnier grip! (SELL! SELL!! NOOOORRRMMM!!!) :D

Just my .02¢ worth...;)

Norm

Sell it to Jaiofspam and buy another one you won't feel bad sanding the handle.

We love you Jai :p

No rasp!!! Egads. Sandpaper and patience. Progressively finer grits. I'd use something like 200 grit for shaping, then go up to 400, 600, 800 to smooth the finish. You can find 1000-2000 in the automotive paint and body section at Wal Mart and automotive supply places if you wanna get silly.

There are a variety of finishes you can put on the wood. My personal favorite is Tru Oil.

Back