Handle Modifications... The Complete Guide (Hopefully)

More tiger striped grivory:http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/856726-Tiger-Striped-BK2-BK9-Grivory-X2-(UPDATED)

1-1.png

008-7.png

Last edited:
nice :) nice :) nice :)

Damn rmc85, you should start a business modding grivory, you can call it Gator Grips! Warrior OD+Tiger stripe= huge win in this Warhead's book!

I saw the liner pics on this thread and decided it is a very cool and quite easy mod to do. Here's my 9 with liners done from a cheap, thin (bit less than 2mm) cutting board:

bk92.jpg

bk91.jpg

bk93.jpg

I did the same with an OKC Bush series RD7 with orange g10 scales, which raised this question: besides visual appeal, what is the real function of scale liners?

Last edited:
I did the same with an OKC Bush series RD7 with orange g10 scales, which raised this question: besides visual appeal, what is the real function of scale liners?

Feel/ergos. Just a slightly wider grip. Nice job, by the way.

thanks. I might do some more in different colors, but now I feel the need to get a BK2! I'm gonna groove the grivory, not decided what pattern yet.

Last edited:
saw these scales on the evil place same person Ark got his GITD scales off hopefully pics work

KGrHqUOKpIE3tUkBQRfBOFom6rMQ0_3.jpg

GrowlingBear over on Bushcraft USA did this nice job and gave me permission to post it up here.

GrowlingBear said:
I've been bitten the mod bug, and I can't stop. This time it was my BK2. All the threads and videos about these blades gave me some ideas. I stripped it, convexed it, chopped off the smasher butt end, removed about 3/16" from the finger guard, re-handled it in zebrawood with maroon spacers, and gave it a patina. Oh, there's a leather sheath too.

Here she is:
BK201.jpg

BK204.jpg

It fits my hand well, and I love wood handles:
BK203.jpg

On a whim, I used an aluminum and brass patina/blackener from our engraving shop at work. It worked quite well, although I'm not sure of how durable it is yet - will test it soon. But it hides the scratches pretty well. It almost looks case hardened:
BK206.jpg

The sheath is belly leather with a generous coating of Obenauf's leather oil:
BK207.jpg

Pressure fit only, for now. We'll see how well it stays put.
BK208.jpg

Saw that last night. Sweet mod.

First try at doing scales. Used a thick plastic cutting board

2011-08-03_094253.jpg

2011-08-03_094231.jpg

saw that trying to keep those slabs white would be mission impossible so I decided to roast them up.

2011-08-03_114621.jpg

2011-08-03_114651.jpg

Picture005.jpg
Picture001.jpg
Picture004.jpg
Picture003.jpg
I got some new scales for my BK-11 AND BK-9 then built this combo sheath.My life revoles around Bowhunting for Bear ,Elk ,Deer.This knife combo will be on my hip on every hunt this fall. What do you think?

Came across this for the BK-13 Remora. Thought it looked nice. Jigged camel bone scales. Sheath was cut to accommodate the scales:

1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Stripped knife except for coating under handle. Shaped, beveled, dyed, and epoxied leather 'scales'. Dyed hemp twine, wrapped around handle and leather, then epoxied in place.

00001necker.jpg

I got permission from "Bill" at Bushcraft USA to post this here. Very nice work.

I convexed the edge and handled this BK11 in walnut dymondwood w/ yellow liners. Oh yea, and I replaced the sheath with a leather one. Got to buff it with tripoli tomorrow at the shop.
img5637x.jpg

img5639a.jpg

img5640x.jpg

Thanks for looking.

This is really Capt. Airyca's brown pants mixed with some green fabric she bought for a set I made her. Fit and feel wise this is my best work to date. I think I finally got them thin enough in the right area's.
This is them dry and sanded to 220 or 320 Don't remember.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back