Handle Modifications... The Complete Guide (Hopefully)

Some of the custom scales I have seen on here are true works of art!
Me personally I think the Exotic Woods with lotsa grain look incredible.
Micarta just don't do it for me or those wild color ones.

TommyTheWho has the nicest looking exotic wood scales I've seen so far.

Here is my order He just made up for me from Cocobolo Wood.
(Not my knife Tommy took these pics to show me what my finished project looked like.)

IMHO these look amazing can't wait to get em!!

i-C6JnLKK-L.jpg

i-XbN4Mmm-L.jpg

Last edited:
Homemade BK11 scales with homemade denim micarta. One heck of a dremel job for a noob like I was :D
a868c1f1.jpg

c78ecbae.jpg

f86d9c8e.jpg

Sorry for the terrible pics and equally terrible lighting.

I've been known to make a few Becker grips. And most folks who actually own them think they are as good as you can buy anywhere.:rolleyes:
DSCN3337.jpg

004-75.jpg

012-42.jpg

002-75.jpg

005-72.jpg

001-89.jpg

003-91.jpg

I've been known to make a few Becker grips. And most folks who actually own them think they are as good as you can buy anywhere.:rolleyes:
001-89.jpg

My next BK I wanna get will be a 7 Combat I believe.
This typa scales is what I wanna get for it.

That's woodland camo lam.;)

It looks good on a BK7:thumbup:

012-42.jpg

I mighta opened up a can of worms.....that BK17 looks like another I wouldn't mind having. :rolleyes:
Guess I'm gonna hafta dump a buncha stuff I'm not using to raise some cash.
Wife is gonna kill me.....hopefully not with one of my knives! :eek: :D

Graphy.

Yeah I edited that post out.. Clicked on the wrong pic..

All three models of the Tweeners looks really elegant with nice wood on them, IMHO.

Stay tuned.. you'll see some closeup pics of about a dozen different sets of mine posted here in the next few days.

A handle mod of a Sheffield British MOD survival knife.

Before
survivalknife.jpg
[/IMG]

After
DSC02851.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC02856.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC02860.jpg
[/IMG]

Tweener zytel chopped down for a 14

2012-08-26000659.jpg

2012-08-26012842.jpg

White corian

2012-07-23181950.jpg

100_1958.jpg

Walnut scales for my 11

2012-07-10124651.jpg

2012-07-10124625.jpg

2012-07-10124603.jpg

2012-07-10124533.jpg

Hopefully I will have some full size Becker scales to show as some point.

Here's some pics of my BK-5 which had bead blasting done, and the scales next to them are oxide grit blasted. I only a paid a few dollars to get it done as part of a coating job so practically free.

Blasting removes the "sheen" of standard scales and gives them a frosty texture that seems to stick to the hand when wet without being overly rubbery like kraton. Its a cheap mod if you don't want to go micarta which is better but costs much more!

Basically they're no longer slippery, which is what I felt about the stock scales.

dscf8242copy.jpg

The heavy grit blasted (unmounted) set are much "greyer" and the splotching is due to some oil / WD40 which got onto the scales. They do seem to be slightly more grippier than the fine bead blast.

dscf8245copy.jpg

Here's some pics of my BK-5 which had bead blasting done, and the scales next to them are oxide grit blasted. I only a paid a few dollars to get it done as part of a coating job so practically free.

The heavy grit blasted (unmounted) set are much "greyer" and the splotching is due to some oil / WD40 which got onto the scales. They do seem to be slightly more grippier than the fine bead blast.

dscf8245copy.jpg

WOW I never realized how big the BK5 was till seeing your pic!!

Back