1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? Handle scale removal

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Travis Talboys, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Travis Talboys

Travis Talboys

Oct 30, 2018
    I have this knife that I am unhappy with the handle, and I was wondering if there is an easy way to remove epoxied scales without ruining the blade. The material is alumilite with fiber liners, with SS pins. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Travis

2. E.Carlson

E.Carlson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 28, 2016
    Drill out the pins (if you can grind both sides of the scales flat, it will be easier). Use a heat gun to heat up the tang until the epoxy gives. You should be able to pop the scales off with a knife.

john april likes this.
  3. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    If you drill out the pins, make sure to absolutely cover up the blade and clamp the knife so it won't move, preferably in a drill press vise. Nothing as fun as a whirling blade of death when you don't expect it (though you really should've).

4. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Heat the whole knife to 250F, then drive the pins out with a punch, and peel off the scales.

razor-edge-knives likes this.
  5. Matt Rochester

Matt Rochester

Nov 28, 2014
    If it’s quick setting epoxy you can drill the pins, wrap the blade, hold the knife by the blade and smack the handle on bench top. They should pop off. Once I switched to g-flex this handle removal process didn’t work anymore.

6. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    put it in the oven at 250F and heat for 30 minutes. It will smell a bit, BTW. When you take it out you can pry the scales off, or punch the rivets out and pry them off.

7. Gilbert M

Gilbert M

Sep 8, 2013
    I just use a bandsaw tape off the blade. Grind off the little bit left ,switch to finer grits for final clean up.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019