Handle texture preference

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've commented recently about how I am leaning more towards knives that provide a solid gripping surface, one that even when wet, you still have the knife under control. The Benchmade Mini Freek provides a very nice grippy handle and so far has held up well, I don't submit it to harsh chemicals or near fire type situations as those may cause the rubbery type material to take a turn for the worse and I do not anticipate doing such things in the future either. So for myself, I'm liking it. But I have always liked stag scales too and textured G10 provides that feeling of a secure grip as well, which brings me to my current setup of folders.

Lionsteel Bolus in stag on the left, Benchmade Mini Freek in the middle and Kizer Corto on the right. I like all three a lot, for separate reasons and can be found to carry them at the same time, nothing wrong with that...;)

I remember years ago a knife was called uncomfortable to grip but the maker/designer claimed (or as I best remember it) that the sharp corners and angles were designed that way to grip you back during use and those knives are still popular today so that probably holds true, but a friend of mine Tim Wright says, the only sharp thing on a knife should be the edge. And I agree with him on that too, the knives here do no harm back to my hand, ie hotspots. But each provides their own style of texture to make using them more secure and in the case of the stag, hardly any two are a like which gives the owner the satisfaction of having a unique handle :)

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

So, what handle material to you guys and gals favour the most?

G2

Personally I'm of the opinion that if a knife is slippery then it's lacking in the ergonomics department. A well-designed handle, in my opinion, should remain relatively secure in the hand even if it was made of glass and slathered in oil. The form of the handle should provide the grip, rather than its texture. I find aggressive texturing causes hot spots and chafing in extended use, while relatively smooth ones do not. :)

Good argument there for that too, but, once your grip slips, caution is in great need.
Thanks appreciate that perspective!
G2

edited to add;

this fixed blade by Nathan Carothers designed by Lorien Arnold brings your post to how I feel this knife is when held, it is comfortable and holds well when gripped;

Nathan_Carothers_EDC by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

even so that one was too smooth and I opted for an unbuffed handle scales;

Carothers_nonbuff by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Carothers_nonbuff_closeup by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

As 99.999% of us aren't really using these things for super hard use, where an ultra secure grip is required, a more important aspect of an EDC pocket knife is it's ability to slide in and out of your pocket smoothly. Nothing is more annoying than having to really work at, or use two hands to, put a knife back in your pocket after use!

This attribute can be a combination of grip texture and clip tension. My BM Mini Axis Stryker, with nicely textured G10 scales, slips in and out of pocket like a dream, but my 530 (with smoother scales but a tighter clip) does not! I'm not generally a fan of super slippery handles, like smooth SS, but overly aggressive textures just don't work well for the typical light duty EDC. Anything rubberized is a huge no-no, as it tends to just grab the pocket and not let go! My absolute favorite is the original Kershaw Blur, with smooth aluminum scales with recessed skateboard tape inserts. I was mortified to discover that newer Blurs have traded the skateboard tape for raised rubber inserts!

Yep, TOO grippy isn't favoured for me either, but too smooth I've had one to many close calls so I avoid them. The Mini Freek doesn't pose much trouble getting in or out of the pocket, for me at least.
G2

Anything but micarta.
Ideally, a grippy CF or Ti.
Most of the time, I'm happy with G10, and I'm the happiest with Emerson's G10.

7poNYFT.jpg

jMjSdm0.jpg

pJngkmK.jpg

Personally I'm of the opinion that if a knife is slippery then it's lacking in the ergonomics department. A well-designed handle, in my opinion, should remain relatively secure in the hand even if it was made of glass and slathered in oil. The form of the handle should provide the grip, rather than its texture. I find aggressive texturing causes hot spots and chafing in extended use, while relatively smooth ones do not. :)

Exactly! Axe handles, bats, hammers, broom sticks(stickball)... all used with force and momentum, all "slippery" and all generally secure in the hand. I don't need it to be covered in sandpaper to keep my grip on it.

The Freek and other rubbery handles I'm ok with as they still tend to be pretty pocket friendly. As is the case with micarta, tero-tuff and the like. You lose me at peel-ply though. It's just a pocket grater.

I’m very happy with a blasted ti or eggshell/orange peel finish. My use is almost entirely indoor application in a retail or warehouse environment, so those are suitable.

I've commented recently about how I am leaning more towards knives that provide a solid gripping surface, one that even when wet, you still have the knife under control. The Benchmade Mini Freek provides a very nice grippy handle and so far has held up well, I don't submit it to harsh chemicals or near fire type situations as those may cause the rubbery type material to take a turn for the worse and I do not anticipate doing such things in the future either. So for myself, I'm liking it. But I have always liked stag scales too and textured G10 provides that feeling of a secure grip as well, which brings me to my current setup of folders.

Lionsteel Bolus in stag on the left, Benchmade Mini Freek in the middle and Kizer Corto on the right. I like all three a lot, for separate reasons and can be found to carry them at the same time, nothing wrong with that...;)

I remember years ago a knife was called uncomfortable to grip but the maker/designer claimed (or as I best remember it) that the sharp corners and angles were designed that way to grip you back during use and those knives are still popular today so that probably holds true, but a friend of mine Tim Wright says, the only sharp thing on a knife should be the edge. And I agree with him on that too, the knives here do no harm back to my hand, ie hotspots. But each provides their own style of texture to make using them more secure and in the case of the stag, hardly any two are a like which gives the owner the satisfaction of having a unique handle :)

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

So, what handle material to you guys and gals favour the most?

G2

I like several different materials on my knives ... it depends on my intended uses for them to be honest ...

But I love wood for the beauty of it and feel in hand ...

I like micarta probably best of any synthetic materials ... feels good and has excellent grip dry or wet and is durabke ...

but I agree the only thing sharp on a knife should be the blade ... and I truely believe if the grip is made properly the material matters far less ...

best off the top of my head example is Becker's Grivory scales ... some say they are slick or look slick ... but they are so well made I have never lost grip or had them feel slippery ...

I think smooth bone is the only knife handle material I have ever gotten rid of a knife for being slippery.

Good argument there for that too, but, once your grip slips, caution is in great need.
Thanks appreciate that perspective!
G2

edited to add;

this fixed blade by Nathan Carothers designed by Lorien Arnold brings your post to how I feel this knife is when held, it is comfortable and holds well when gripped;

Nathan_Carothers_EDC by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

even so that one was too smooth and I opted for an unbuffed handle scales;

Carothers_nonbuff by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Carothers_nonbuff_closeup by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

a great example of a very well crafted handle that in any material just feels good ... I can speak from experience using this one with custom Koa scales from a very talented BF friend ...

2019-01-06 22.20.23.jpg

I agree 100%. I see jimping the same way. If you need jimping on your knife then the knife was designed wrong. Or you’re one of those “thumb on the spine” people. :confused:;)

Edit: I realized I didn’t answer the question. Smooth wood is what I like.

Last edited:
I like a grippy G10. One of my favorite grips is my SurviveKnives GSO 3.5. My old CRK Zaan has a nice grip also.
Standard titanium grips on my large Sebbie are decent, but a mite slippery. Canvas micarta is very grippy and I like them a lot on Busse knives and on Nathan Carothers.
I am not fond of "very" slippery titanium like that on my Spyderco Slysz Bowie, but I can change that with a little sand-blasting. Carbon fiber looks classy and feels good but is slippery in the hand. I detest the feel of aluminum grips and have found that 3D-conformed grips are not for me either. Highly polished wood grips look great but slide around.
I just prefer a rough rectangular G10 feel in the grips as they don't slide or twist in my hand.

Last edited:
To Gary Graley:

The knife you are thinking of is the Three Sisters Forge Beast. I have one. I believe the newer one has softened the edges. I love mine,

The ergonomics are more important to me than the scales/handle materials.

For example, I have sprint run Spyderco Manix 2 with pale green scales and CTS-XHP steel. The ergonomics of that knife are amazing. However, I am not a fan of G10. I replaced it with a desert ironwood set. Really beautiful, and smooth.

This is most of my collection, though the sak is MIA, and the PM2 got messed up bad my father. I ended up throwing it out. Warped handle, more chips than the Frito-Lay factory.

In addition, I have a new sak.

IMG_20170530_150321_zpst99m8ub2.jpg

Last edited:
I like the handle on the Cold Steel Natchez Bowie. Great shape, really fills the hand and locks into place even though the micarta surface is very smooth. I also like the grippy feel of the kraton handle of the Trail Master but I can see it causing hot spots with prolonged use.

I agree that handle shape is far more important than surface finish. My three plus decades of commercial kitchen use in every possible condition confirms it. No home cook can ever match that experience. It goes far beyond Malcolm Gladwell’s 10000 Hour Rule.

I remember years ago a knife was called uncomfortable to grip but the maker/designer claimed (or as I best remember it) that the sharp corners and angles were designed that way to grip you back during use and those knives are still popular today
Contigo ?
I would like to experience a too grippy knife. Other than covering it in double backed tape I don't see that happening.

Sure . . . I can see the slick finish but secure if the right shape thing
but
when picking up the knife or changing grips . . .
whoops . . .

You've heard it too often from me but . . . KreyEx . . . Cold Steel KreyEx.
That's my number one.
I dig the Stag as well.
The Griptilliann is good.
I like the texture of G-10 but for me flat, slab sided knives are less than ideal.
Yes they go in a pocket clipped in place and can be drawn easy enough.

My generic belt pouch carries my favorite gripolishous knives including my Griptillian. Frees up my trouser pocket and makes access of a full handled knife easy enough for me; no problem.
Keeping in mind the classic of classics, the Buck 110, is usually carried the same way.
Speaking of the right shape for smooth but secure; I love the 110 handle shape ! ! !
No need to read the text at these links just look at the knife handles
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/favorite-knife-features-what-do-you-like.1477400/#post-16999726

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...t-edc-type-fixed-blade.1588125/#post-18139535

Last edited:
I agree 100%. I see jimping the same way. If you need jimping on your knife then the knife was designed wrong. Or you’re one of those “thumb on the spine” people. :confused:;)

Or, rather, I'd argue you're NOT one of those "thumb on the spine" people! Virtually every instance of a thumb ramp or jimping I ever see on a knife is done totally wrong for thumb-supported use. You'll just cramp your hand and tear up your thumb using them. With most designs they aren't really conducive to such a hold, anyhow, but with ones that are (and in circumstances where there's genuinely a benefit to the hold for your context of use) the thumb platform would have to be much farther forward to be of any help. And in those cases it should usually be texture-free 'cause you're probably applying pressure to it.

It's neither the Three Sisters Forge Beast nor the Benchmade Contego, which I had two versions of the Contego and the first was quite sharply defined in the scales for sure!

The knives I was thinking of were the Strider folders, this is years ago when they first came out, they held their own remarkably well to this day, so while it wasn't for some, it certainly found a place with a great many people.

Everyone has their favourite, some are strongly opinionated which is understandable but remember it is their opinion, the world continues to design and make all types of knives some for the consumer, some just for the sake of trying something out.

Things like bare metal neck knives things like that I am not so fond of either, all too smooth but if designed with all kinds of curves and grippy contours may work well but I never found one I would want.

G2

a great example of a very well crafted handle that in any material just feels good ... I can speak from experience using this one with custom Koa scales from a very talented BF friend ...

View attachment 1055681

I was going to post something like that. I'm of the school of thought that a handle's grip comes first and foremost to the shape that locks into your hand in a variety of grips, then you can certainly get away with a smooth texture. This is of course aided by texture, but I'm good with smooth when the texture takes away from the beauty of the material.

For me, it all depends in the primary use of the knife.

For EDC, I tend not to use a knife when my hands are wet so smooth is OK. There, I really like non-stabilized wood (DIW), micarta, and blasted titanium.

For woods use, I do like something with a bit more grip like burlap micarta or a rougher canvas micarta. But still shy away from anything rougher.

I’ve never had a knife slip in my hand.

Back